Country
    Singapore

226cm lenght, which tank is most preferred

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all

I have an empty space for my fish tank in my new incoming flat. The wall measure 226cm lenght. What type of tank would you go for? two 3ft cabinet tank side by side, 6ft cabinet tank, etc? I would like to get cabinet and sump tank cos it would look nicer in the hall. Any bro/sis, please advise.

Thanks and regards
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: 226cm lenght, which tank is most preferred

I would suggest going with 2 x 3 ft tanks. At least you have 2 tanks and can keep different types of fish. If you go with a 6 foot tank, you are restricted with just 1 tank for scaping, not to mention the amount of work needed on a massive tank that size.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    I would suggest going with 2 x 3 ft tanks. At least you have 2 tanks and can keep different types of fish. If you go with a 6 foot tank, you are restricted with just 1 tank for scaping, not to mention the amount of work needed on a massive tank that size.
    If I use 2 x 3ft tank.. What type of filtration should I use.. Is it possible to get both of the same colour and same tank together? I am looking for a second hand type..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Getting the same colour and same tank might not be possible if you buy second hand. Why don't you get them customised? I remember Nature Aquarium had some pretty nice custom sets (tank + cabinet) at reasonable prices. At least you're getting 2 of the same thing, and no problems. You don't have to spend twice on transport to bring the tanks back home either. Just one time payment. I've seen nice 3 ft tank sets too, those ready made kind like from SunSun etc. Juwel tanks are great too, but the cost might not be so good on the wallet.

If you want to go with second hand, I would advise spending time looking at the Sales thread etc. on all the local aquarium forums, and keep an eye out for those who have identical tank sets.

2 x 3ft tank, just 2 canister filters per tank should be sufficient. I used an Eheim 2026 on my 3ft for almost 6 years, and it's still working. Upgraded recently to a 4 ft tank, and the Eheim 2026 is still doing great since the outflow goes over an inbuilt OHF tray. Initial cost may be high since Eheim filters are expensive, but the reliability is something you can't be certain with the other brands. You can consider Fluval/Tetra/GEX too, for canister filters.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I would like to suggest one 4ft tank and a 2ft tank. Of course you should match their height and depth (back to front). 4x2x2 and 2x2x2 would be nice. Then you can have a combo of a medium tank and a large tank to mess with. Alternatively, one 4 ft tank and the rest of the space for more small tanks for keeping different sorts of fauna and flora, etc.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

i concur with vinz.
    If you want to go competition for scaping.. be it now or in the future..
    4footers are great size.
    the 2x2x2 is just a fun thing to have. looooks EXTREMELY DEEP...

However, if you are going to custom tanks.. i wont go for 2ft height.. depth is okay.. but not height.. you'll find planting a chore.
    Go with something like 50cm or 55cm..makes quite a bit of difference..i find these easier on the strain of planting..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you're on a budget, you can probably get a 6ft tank for free if you're patient.

Generally tanks larger than 4ft are given away FOC to those who can muster the muscle to move the tank out of the current location.

In terms of resale value or ease of transport or removal for future moves, or *touch wood* if you decide to leave the hobby.

2Ft tanks are the easiest to get rid of, followed by 3ft tanks.

4ft and up you'll have problems disposing of the tank without spending more money.

Maybe give us more info on your budget, and the type of fish you like? I would jump at the chance to rear some monster fish in a 6 footer if budget and space were available to me.

Then again the water change on a tank that size is no joke either.

A 3ft - 4ft freshwater planted and a 2ft - 3ft marine tank side by side would be a killer setup, you could suspend a set / few sets of Metal Halide lights from the ceiling that both tanks share.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    i concur with vinz.
    If you want to go competition for scaping.. be it now or in the future..
    4footers are great size.
    the 2x2x2 is just a fun thing to have. looooks EXTREMELY DEEP...

However, if you are going to custom tanks.. i wont go for 2ft height.. depth is okay.. but not height.. you'll find planting a chore.
    Go with something like 50cm or 55cm..makes quite a bit of difference..i find these easier on the strain of planting..
    Why not a 2x2x2 cube with a low cabinet? Best of both worlds!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Koolman, before you decide to get the tank, have you considered aesthetically how the setup going to look like? If you get 2 different tank and it doesn't look pleasing to the eyes when placed side by side, you have to live with it for a length of time.

Or, you could customised your tank setup such that the setup may blend or enhanced your space. The wall behind the tank could match up with the cabinet. Something that are usually found in interior decorator magazine.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Why not a 2x2x2 cube with a low cabinet? Best of both worlds!
    too low not at eye level..and have to bend over instead.. now back pain. haha..
    But its a good idea man...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks everybody for the input.. By looking at it, having 2 x 3ft tank would be a disaster if I do not have a good combination of the tank, cabinet and the decoration. Having 1 x 4ft and 1 x 2ft would be the same cause as having 2 x 3ft tank. In this way, I would be exhausted by the setting up. I have in mind to own a 7ft x 3ft x 2ft cabinet sump tank as the lenght of the wall prohibits me to do so. The only problem that I am facing is that finding this kind of sizes tank are mostly customise and hardly to find it. I would like to seek for a white cabinet tank that suit my tank and it would be best to have all the filter and media.

Anyway, I have already secure a 6ft tank from a brother here and it will be situated at my balcony. The tank that I am seeking now would be situated at my living hall and it must be pleasant looking.

Cheers
    Koolman

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    too low not at eye level..and have to bend over instead.. now back pain. haha..
    But its a good idea man...
    Yeah it wouldn't work for more conventional setups, but I'd set up a sofa in front of the tank so I could sit there and watch it for a few hours a day, hehehe.

I don't think most of us spend as much time standing in front of our fish tanks to watch them as opposed to sitting in front of the tank to stare for an hour or two.

Maybe I'm just that easily amused..but I can stare at Malayans and Sakuras for over an hour at a time..I'm not much of a TV person I guess

Quote Originally Posted by koolman View Post
    Anyway, I have already secure a 6ft tank from a brother here and it will be situated at my balcony. The tank that I am seeking now would be situated at my living hall and it must be pleasant looking.
    One thing to be aware of for balcony type tank setups is aside from the possible high temps from sunlight exposure, the algae growth can be incredible.
    Have to do very regular maintenance to keep it in check.

Also if you're living in an apartment or condo, you should seek HDB or your MCSTs approval or directions for tanks this large.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

koolman, another alternative is a 5 foot tank. If you don't wish to have 2 x 3ft, or a 4ft + 2 ft set up, might as well go with a 5 ft tank. You have space on the wall to place a chiller or something else on the floor, or even another piece of furniture, to complement the tank.

6 footer in the balcony sounds nasty. Algae will be a problem, like what Fuzzy said. If you didn't get prior approval from HDB, you have to hope that nothing goes wrong at the unit just beneath you. If your neighbours see a crack in their balcony and complain, you might land yourself in trouble.

Read this link for info on the tank permit:
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ead.php?t=6213