Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to test, KH and PH/Co2

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have two JBL tets kits, KH and Co2 plus pH.
    Read the instruction, but seems not very clear.

pH / Permanent CO2 test kits
    - It says after mixing the 1 ml of water with the reagent in the container then put inside the aquarium.

I am not very sure what does "inside means"? Should it be submerge inside the water or above the water.
    If submerge, then what is the purpose of mixing 1 mil of water with the reagent, as when submerge, the water will go into the container.

KH test kits

Pour 5 mils of water into the container,then drip in the reagent, the colour should change from blue to orange.
    But I can't see any blue, what I see is very light orange/yellow after 4 drops. As more drop of re-agent drip in the colour turn more visible.

So is the water at KH of 4 or may be 8 not sure.

rgds.

Feedback Score
    I think your KH is ZERO..... brothers... is it after your first drop the 5ml water turn orange ????? if that the case, then your KH is ZREO.... if I'm not wrong... my case is that after the first drop, the water turn blue.. then after 5 drops the water immediately turn orange, and that show that my KH is 5, what I know is that the KH is zero for new tanks or big amount of water change....

For CO2 test kit (mine is SERA co2 test kit)is after putting back the caps, drop 3 or 4 drip into the container then do an 180 degree turn and place it 1 inch before the water surface... after 5 to 10min if the water turn blue , dark green or light green showing different co2 dossage..

Correct me if Im wrong, not very sure as all this are learning from lfs owners.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Singapore tap water's KH range from <1-3 as reported by forumers here...I think your case is pretty much less than 1. Add baking soda to raise the KH to about 4-5 to prevent possible risk of pH crash when injecting CO2. Do note that if you have fish inside already, do not raise the KH by more than 2dKH in 24hrs. Best is 1dKH....

Here is the link for how much baking soda to add
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger