Country
    Singapore

Cloudy water

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys
    My 36x18x18 tank always seems to be having a cloudy water problem. I just changed 80% of the water 2 days back. Doesn't seem to be greenish so i suppose its not algae problems? As a precaution i have stopped doing liquid fert. Do you all suppose that my base fert is leaching into my water column? If this is the case what can i do to remedy it?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Was your tank water clear before? And what did you do or add to your tank prior to the cloudy water? Stop changing water in such large quantity as it will not help much should it be a baterial bloom. In fact large water change is going to throw you tank into a new cycle.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi David
    Initially after i set up my tank it was crystal clear. But after a few trimmings where i took the H.Difformis out from the substrate quite a bit of base fert got pulled out as well. I suppose its the base fert that is causing my cloudy water. But won't the fert settle down after awhile and my cannister filter filter out those dissolved in water? Furthermore the plants will use them up if i'm not wrong?

The water looks a little yellow as well. Should i re-do my tank if the base fert is leaching into my water?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Do frequent small water changes and add more filter floss to polish the water.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Check if your filter needs a wash
    ... always look at the bright side of life

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    How old yur tank since setup? Your 80% change might has knocked off the filter bacteria, if no anti-chlorine used. U've got to be patience and wait for it to cycle again if so.

To know whether fertilizer leak, u've to get test kit to measure, which usually I don't bother if there's no problem.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Thanks for the advice guys.
    My tank is close to 3 months old now. After a water-change i add some Nutrafin Cycle. Guess i will check my filter and add more filter floss... Will let you all know the outcome. Thanks a lot.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/2/2003 1:34:26 PM

How old yur tank since setup? Your 80% change might has knocked off the filter bacteria, if no anti-chlorine used. U've got to be patience and wait for it to cycle again if so.

To know whether fertilizer leak, u've to get test kit to measure, which usually I don't bother if there's no problem.
    ----------------
    I believe this is the case too. Bacteria death can cause cloudy water.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    So will the water clear up after frequent small water changes and when the bacteria start a new colony?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If the bacteria colony is indeed wipe out, then it might be wise to leave it as it is....only do water changes if NH3/NH4 or NO2 level reach toxic levels with the help of test kit. Its basically like recycling of tank...but if you grow your plants well, you should not detect any NH3/NH4 and NO2 even as they are taken in immediately as nutrients.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger