Thread: Help needed for Dying Glosso

Feedback Score

Help needed for Dying Glosso

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi Guys,

Needed some expert advice on getting my glosso growing....Keeps dying in less than few days...gets unrooted and floats around....Third time trying but still not sucessful.

Tank details:

Lighting: PL 1X36W FL 2 X15W
    PH: 7
    KH: 4
    CO2: 1 bubble per sec
    JBL liquid fertilizer
    Temp: 28-29 Degrees

Is there something that I am doing wrong? I plant about one inch of the plant deep into the gravel leaving a few leaves close to the gravel surface. Somehow, I think the trumpet snails and prawns dislodge them or they turn yellow and die without growing much. How long to wait before they take root and grow runners like those in your tanks? Do I need to plant many of them?

Thanks for your inputs.....

[] [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Your CO2 level is no good....DIY CO2? You would need to get the pH down to 6.6-6.7 during the lighting period for good growth. Tank size? Glosso needs high light..not sure how big is your tank though. JBL liquid fert is just traces, you would need macro nutrients as well...NO3,PO4,K,Mg,Ca.

For traces, I would prefer either Seachem Flourish or TMG as they cover wider range of nutrients and have proven to be good stuff.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    that the same problems I face in my initial setup time, but after my adding of light, the glosso grow much better and now their growing are fast ....
    Peter is correct, yr co2 is very low, try to up yr co2 and light if possible, I know that glosso are slow grower and need high light, once everythings is right, you will see the growing......

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Same experience, added 50Watts of light directly over it and I can see bubble forming. Just starting to see result of growth. Before that I see leaves browning, stem rotting...

You need bright light over it! Fert? I never bother much just weekly Iron (Fe) & Trace Elements, Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4), Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4) bought from www.nature-aquarium.com...
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advice!

On lowering the pH, will increasing the CO2 help? I am afraid that all the fishes will start gasping for air when I do that. Happened once and cooked all my prawns....

For the macro nutrients, where do I get them and how to use it? Is the SeaChem flourish a ALL-IN-ONE type of fertilizer? Is it an absolute necessity? Heard that it will increase the growth of Algea, is that true?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Adi, can give more information?

Tank size
    Fertilizers
    NO3 value (if you have)
    PO4 value (if you have)

BC

Feedback Score
    Tank size: 2 FT X 1FT X 1 FT
    NO3: None
    PO4: None....

Is it necessary? Where to get it? Any brands to recommend?[]

Thanks

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    On lowering the pH, will increasing the CO2 help? I am afraid that all the fishes will start gasping for air when I do that. Happened once and cooked all my prawns....
    Is it immediate that they rush near the surface or is it only in the morning? If it is in the morning, you are pretty much low on O2...are you having some surface agitation? Just a little would do good for your fishes and critters when the O2 level is low but not alot though. However, if the fishes or critters were to go to the surface gasping for air during the lights on period, you might need to look at the accuracy of your pH and KH readings...pH test kits are pretty troublesome due to the colour code comparison thingy..get a pH test pen but make sure you calibrate it properly. Other than that, NH3/NH4, NO2 and extreme levels of NO3 can kill your critters and fishes...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    My glosso is growing that means rooting and spreading. I would like to share my experience:
    tank 3ft x 1.5 x 1.5;
    light source is natural sunlight (previously 2x24W PL + 1x30W FL + sunlight at same location);
    never adjust GH and KH from tapwater, but I did using paper strip test kit, GH 6~10, KH 0~3, pH 7.2~7.6 (you know thoese paper strip is not very accurate);
    DIY CO2 at 1 - 2 bps;
    2 x 5kg of Sera base fertilizer (5 kg fert. for 100L water);
    so far only dose in liquid fert. once;
    gravel about 1"

I wonder if there is base fert. in your case (stupid question I guess) ? Or maybe your gravel is too thick ?

Initial my Yamato shrimp is digging the glosso so there was glosso floating occasionally.

Feedback Score
    Guys,

Thanks for the tips.

I bought the MgSO4 and KSO4 from nature-aquarium.
    Put a 36W PL light directly over it (2FT tank). Lowered the temp to 28.5C. Checked for NO2 levels. Increased C02 to 2 bubbles per sec and decrease pH to 6.8. Seems like about all I could think of currently.

Let's see what happens. Will keep you noted.

Weird tank I have huh?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my tank is 2X1.5x2 ft, and with 3x 36Watt PL,10 hours a day, 1.5 bubble ps,temp 26-29. seem like Glosso is doing well but it keep growing UP! why it growed vertically instead of horizontally? I Q Gen-x , he said my light is not enough? for Two Ft tank 3 X 36 Watt Pl not enough?anyone can help?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    narcosis
    ----------------
    On 5/3/2003 7:36:35 PM

my tank is 2X1.5x2 ft, and with 3x 36Watt PL,10 hours a day, 1.5 bubble ps,temp 26-29. seem like Glosso is doing well but it keep growing UP! why it growed vertically instead of horizontally? I Q Gen-x , he said my light is not enough? for Two Ft tank 3 X 36 Watt Pl not enough?anyone can help?
    ----------------
    the lights enough. when they grow vertically.. u trim them so as to stunt their vertical growth. then they will spread.

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Re: Help needed for Dying Glosso

hi,am about to undertake my first ever glosso chalange.
    tank dimension is30inch-15inch-15inch.
    light-72 watt pl
    substrate-ocean free mixed with sand gravel 2mm on top of laterite
    plants-glosso-2 pots,vivipara-2 pots,rotala 1 pot,HM 1 pot.
    co2-diy
    dosing-kno3,k2so4,kh2po4+micro
    please comment on the light,time to start dosin