Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi People,

After all the di-li-da-li, finally got down to work on my replacement tank.
    Operation Maximus. After the flicker minded mind turn on and off, I finally settled down on a 24 x 12 x 18 tank or 2ft instead of 3ft.

Digged into the storeroom and found viola! a stand! ha ha.

Phase I Stage 1 12/12/2009
    Using the mini glue gun to reinforce the corners and base. Okay I am really not very good with the gun, and this is the first time I am using the gun. Took me about 1+hr just to glue them up and 12 sticks of glues.

Notice that there are losta water not dry yet. I wash the tank after using the glue gun.

Phase I Stage 2
    Modify the PL light. It comes in white, chey....really don't like that much. So I decided to modify it. And so comes the violet lights instead of the regular white one. Got some color plastics from a nearby bookshop. I actually goto 2 bookshop before I could find it. =P

And so! This is good for the week...phew...almost break my back doing all these...to be continue...

Extra Details for those who are interested to know:

Tank Size 2ft
    24 x 12 x 18 custom made tank. Base modified, strengthened with T200 mini glue gun, expendable 12 glue sticks.

Alife PL Light for 2ft tank
    Comes with side stand but not using. Extendable arms on left and right. Modified with violet plastic on tubes.

Philip 13w/865c Energy-saving compact fluorescent lamps
    http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/ap...dr_id=2051&tab=

What happen to my current tank? Well not leaking, doing fine but at half the water volume.

Phase II Stage I (12/13/2009)

Stage I purchases consist of the following:
    Corner Protectors
    Glue Sticks (For Spare)
    2 pin adaptors
    3 x 3 pin extension cord
    Cable Ties
    Singer Oil (Later for maintenace purpose)

My Old 2 x 2 pin extension cord (not shown in Photo0090.jpg)
    My Old Timer (4 years old)

Photo0091 shows you the rack before tying.

Stage II Enhancing the corners of the tank
    Photo0092

Stage III Tying and hooking up the Timer and Alife PL Light
    Photo0093
    Photo0094 showing the back of it after tying.

To be continue next week
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 1st Jan 2010 at 19:49.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Operation Maximus

that's a lot of things you have there, you got your rack.. err.. a mouse on the 5th pic.. lol.. i like your power layout.. what you going to do with your 3feet? going in to storeroom or going to fix it?..
    20+10 Gallon Tank Link | Light55w(PL) and Light13w(PL) | Normal Filter800L/per.hr | 3xDriftwood

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^o^ thank you wackytpt for combining...hee hee.

Actually the 2ft stand is also from the storeroom. Been siting inside for a few years, I dust it off, looks still quite new. 3 ft tank is a goner. From the power pict Photo0093 you can see the some of the 3ft in the background.

I think I will add a plastic sheet to cover the power, just in case some water spilt out. As I got 2 timers, I set up the other timer together with this one.

Wil, I will continue when I take leave this Thursday =D Phase III is going to be the most headache of them all. Sand, filter, etc. That is a Razer mouse hor and the Sony Vaios Z26 laptop in the background, don't pray pray(play) ar...
    =====================================================
    Eddy!!!!

Where to get those cement thingies! What do I need to get a decent cement structure in! =D Time to pick up a new trick. It's all Eddy's fault! ha ha...but I kinda enjoy this.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 13th Dec 2009 at 21:42.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi BW!

My fault that made you do this ? That's impressive!

Ok bro , what can i help you with your new project? paludarium or vivarium?

I strongly advice you, NEVER NEVER NEVER use gun glue for leak or strengthen the glass panel or whatever.This thing does not work on any material but work only on PVC and it is real toxin to your fauna.

Stick to silicon GEII either black or white for your new baby and no cheap silicon please. Since you had already did IT, please check and see if this gun glue still sticking onto the glass if not tear it down. So you wash the corners with vinegar to neutralize it and try to overlay the ex gun glue's path with silicon GEII either white or clear or black. I rather stick to black silicon than others. Palu and viva's colour is all about black and brown.

hope this will help you.
    Last edited by eddy planer; 14th Dec 2009 at 11:39.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Actually the part on the cement thingy tempted me to create something similar with styrofoam. Nope, not keeping a crocodile, so no viva for me.

O.O" okies...so much for the gluyy thingies. I will remove it and use Silicon instead. So much for a day's work. Bound to pay tuition fee here. Advice taken. I will take Silicon black then. Let's hope I don't get the silicone gel for breast implant. ^o^

By creating a cement structure, I saw other people's post that this can also be use for normal planted tank. What I am interested to do is create some holes but yet still can maintain the look of a rock from outside. So question is would plaster or cement be more recommended? Not a sculptor, so the more advice you give, the better.

Color wise, haven't decided yet but I do have in mind brown before you posted your reply. I am not a viva guy as you can tell.

IT play lego. I using laptop so no more lego to play with, no soldering see? My soldering skills are shit anyway.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 14th Dec 2009 at 13:08.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Actually the part on the cement thingy tempted me to create something similar with styrofoam. Nope, not keeping a crocodile, so no viva for me.

By creating a cement structure, I saw other people's post that this can also be use for normal planted tank. What I am interested to do is create some holes but yet still can maintain the look of a rock from outside. So question is would plaster or cement be more recommended? Not a sculptor, so the more advice you give, the better.

Color wise, haven't decided yet but I do have in mind brown before you posted your reply. I am not a viva guy as you can tell.

Hmmm i can help you with that cement structure but for this 2ft tank is so easy to create one and i rather do it inside the tank as i can easy turn here and there for structure work as for my 6ft i have to create section by section.

First of all, you need:
    1. Spray Foam at least 5 cans. (i used up 15 cans for my 6ft.)( pls note each can is SGD 12.50)
    2 waterproof cement or grouts.(1 bag :SGD5.00)
    3 acrylic paint of at least 5 colours.(each paint SGD6.80)
    4 epoxy spray( SGD9.80)
    5. silicon black and white if you want your structure to be grayish and black in colour
    6 white eggcrate. use the white one stronger than black one (SGD 18/each.)

ok...let me know if you want to meet up with me but you must present your design first. hope this will help you. If anyone want to learn...let BW to agree to let you in.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Blue Whale!
    Your 4ft picture far back got one fish you wrongly ID. It should be called Neon tetra instead of cardinal because the red marking is only half unlike the cardinal.

Cheers,
    kenneth
    Keeping.
    Apistogramma Peixoto, Agassizi 'Rio Tefe Cacadola', Agassizi 'Tefe Bauna', Bitaenita 'Rio Copea', Diplotaenia 'Barcelos', Mendenzi 'Sao Gabriel', Gibbiceps 'OrangeFace' Opal, Hippolytae, Pauciquamis 'Negro' Uauspei Blukteil, uauspei Rokteil, Elizbethae 'Sao Gabriel', Sunrise, Trifiscata 'Rio Pinmental'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Telecredible View Post
    Hi Blue Whale!
    Your 4ft picture far back got one fish you wrongly ID. It should be called Neon tetra instead of cardinal because the red marking is only half unlike the cardinal.

Cheers,
    kenneth
    3 ft lah. The redness is hidden by the leaves lah. No problem.
    ===================================================================
    Eddy,
    anyone also can come in. Idea is to learn from mistakes, no need to be too defensive.

Eddy, I will keep you posted. Need to remove that layer of glue first. Thursday be on leave to do that. Budget wise, this month confirmed not enough. But I am targetting before CNY so timeline not an issue at the moment. Luckily got 1", 2", 3" Putty Knives, so since I will be on leave on both Thursday and Friday, should have time to take the glue layer out. Meantime, Eddy, advice taken again, I will be making a list and perhaps find time to draw the idea in the mind out.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 14th Dec 2009 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    3 ft lah. The redness is hidden by the leaves lah.
    Hahaha never see clearly hehe

Cheers,
    kenneth
    Keeping.
    Apistogramma Peixoto, Agassizi 'Rio Tefe Cacadola', Agassizi 'Tefe Bauna', Bitaenita 'Rio Copea', Diplotaenia 'Barcelos', Mendenzi 'Sao Gabriel', Gibbiceps 'OrangeFace' Opal, Hippolytae, Pauciquamis 'Negro' Uauspei Blukteil, uauspei Rokteil, Elizbethae 'Sao Gabriel', Sunrise, Trifiscata 'Rio Pinmental'

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eddy, I am worry styrofoam box may be too fragile. Would Plastic Containers for noodles be a good idea?

Basic concept:
    Base: Noodle Plastic Container (overturn), two small rect. doors for water to flow out. On top of this Plastic Container, one Plastic Cup (overturn), another two small windows for water to flow out. Thick Plastic tube inserted in the center which allows water flow either from Oto filter or external filter, there will be total 4 holes for water flow to be disperse out.

This hummy conny shape will be like a ant's nest, with 4 windows to disperse the water flow into 2 directions 4 ways out or 4 directions 4 way out. Positioned at left most inner corner of the tank. There might be one inflow of water and another small tubing for CO2 insertion. 3 inch to 4 inch thick irregular sand bed.

Except for the pathway, the floorbed should be planted with HC. Considering a big piece of driftwood at the right of the background.

Everyone, please give your critical view. Can help me to shape the concept along the way. This is drawn on a 1/4 of a A4 size paper.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 17th Dec 2009 at 18:45.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

BW,

wow you really got the unique concept!

No hard feeling. my personal opinion this ant hill look like an Alien's spaceship just landed on your 2ft tank!

Can you explain what the usage of that ant hill structure? Look like this structure is going to take up alot of space maybe half of the tank space.

let me know your thoughts
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Easiest tank scape. Just get a pile of branchy driftwood and drop them in. No need for plants.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Apa(What) then? Simple Design with plastic container and plastic cup as model, stagged against each other. If not, I can also just take one of the Angkorwat photo out and try to mimic it. Actually this is Concept 1 so far. Will draw a few more when I have the time.

Eddy, i am thinking more of DIY at the moment, so good if you can supply ideas, comments, material cost (which you have done so). ^o^ time to get messy. More like remote control. oh yes, I haven't say thanks. THANK YOU!!!!

Stormy, tried so many branchy driftwood liao, time to advance to next level, don't you agree?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

BW

How's about Angkor Wat background with 1or 2 driftwood hanging out from the background or either rocky background?

are you using canister or OHF for this project?
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Umm...what do you mean OHF or canister? Consider me as noob can already.

Angkorwat I am thinking of the king's face. I am not thinking of the main structure as such:

The face is something like this:

I have a close up photo, just have to find it from the hundred picts. I took.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

i have seen something similar in a diy rock cement set-up

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Well doing a design based on Angkor Wat's structure, you can probably arrange some rocks in a pile resembling the basic stupas, with pieces of wood tied with moss sticking out. This is based on the idea where some of these ancient ruins, are interspersed with trees growing out of the rocks that form these structures.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

All good suggestions so far.

If that is the case, think I will do this, gimme your thoughts as we go along:
    - put the sand and gravel layer in first.
    - leave the left side of the tank barren.
    - right hand side put in place the drift woods. (Mossy pend first, am still looking through some plant directory and books, have not decide which one)
    - plant the hc
    - get whatever plant that is needed on the middle left.
    - lay the road in the middle with eye bluffing effect.

Meantime, I can start using ice-cream sticks to create "concrete box" so that later on I can use as concrete block moulding. Saw before this is how people have made the bricks. So I will need a few moulds to create rocks blocks. On the other hand, I might need to find Kinde Buerno kinda chocolate, collect the Egg shape plastic so that later on can create a face like structure. This is the portion I most unconfident to do it, since I know I currently do not have the skills, but let's try it anyway. Oh yes, also can look for some solid base, perhaps some big flat rocks of 4 as the based together with the Egg shape plastic to "sink" the structure later. The actual structure is the King's face is faced towards 4 directions, so I will need 4x. =)

I am uploading one of the picts. that I have previously took, but I realised I might have captured some of the picts, which are currently no longer available at the actual ground also.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 27th Dec 2009 at 09:32.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Original Post at 11:41am.
    Here is the pict. of my latest armament.

As recommended by Stormy, Eddy.

- Ice cream sticks
    - Industrial grade silicone gel and cheaper than Eddy's original budget list. Kinda surprise me too actually.
    - Silicone gel gun
    - Putty Knives to scrape off the glues and to scape the structures later.

Also in the line next week would be some of the followings:
    - Black sand at least 5-6x
    - Driftwood
    - HC (might replace this)
    - Filter.

Edited Time: 5:53pm.

It took me about 5 seconds to get the glue layer off. Ha! First surprise.
    Cut myself whilst trying to cut the opening. One tube was actually sufficient, took another 15 mins to figure how to load and how to use. Everything completed in 20mins time. Phew....what a relief surprise. Silicone gel Gun for $3.80 and Silicone Black Gel just $3.50, haven't even use half a tube.

Also have discover white cement, sold in one small plastic box like those you packet noodles home just rect. in shape, should be sufficient. This white cement cost about $4, just need to mix with water. The color can use spray paint later on which cost about $4.50 per can. Overall progress have been good. So next few days I can just relax and create some small models of mould for the upcoming little cambodian temple. heh heh.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 25th Dec 2009 at 10:31.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The next step is creating concrete slaps like moulds.

The ice cream sticks are basically cut to size, scratched on the side surface. Currently 4 bases are sticked together using uhu glue later to be assembled again.

Meanwhile, the silicone gel will take 24 hours to set in. Whilst the base of the moulds will can take one night to set in. Work to be continue....
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 25th Dec 2009 at 10:31.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast