Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    any one knows where to buy this plant

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    think Timebomb has them, perharp asked him to sell u?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I no longer have the Tropica Java Ferns. I gave a bunch to Peter and the rest to James. The last time I saw them in Peter's tank, they were growing nicely. I seriously doubt Peter will sell any of his plants though. But if you *beg* him for some, maybe he will spare you a rhizome or two

I have never seen the Tropica Java Ferns for sale in any fish shop in Singapore. Have not seen them in the farms too. What I had came to me from a friend living in the US of A. As far as I know, Tropica does not allow this plant to be sold here. Maybe they don't like what happened to their Windelov Ferns which was, at one time, not available here too. If you don't know about the Windelov story, I will tell you in another post. And it would start with the phrase "In the old days......."

But actually, it's quite easy to get the plants you want if you go *international*. Many American hobbyists are dying to get the plants you can easily find here. Offer to send something to them and I'm sure they will return the favour. Tropica Java Ferns are easily available in the US of A, as far as I know.

To give you a start, Pellia endiviifolia, Narrow Leaf Java Ferns, Mini-Riccia and Christmas Moss are 4 plants which are hard to come by in America. Don't try sending Tonina or some other exotic stem plant. Although they are very rare there too, these plants won't survive the journey. They will turn into mush by the time they reach the receipient.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Anyone want to hear the story of Windelov from Timebomb raise hands!!

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/2/2003 8:23:29 PM

Anyone want to hear the story of Windelov from Timebomb raise hands!!
    ----------------
    *raises hands*
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Me too...[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I have them and they grow quite tall. You can order them from That Fish and Pet Place or C328. S$15 or S$30 for a big bunch on driftwood. No loose type.

If you like, you can get some leaves from me and grow them yourself.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Okay, fellas, if you really want to hear the story......

In the old days, you won't find the Windelov ferns on sale anywhere in Singapore. This is because this fern is one of Tropica's patented plant, the Echinodorus Oriental being another. Fish shops are not supposed to sell the Windelov fern unless Tropica gave them permission. Obviously, they will allow you to sell the plant if you agree to give them a percentage of the sale. Local fish shops, however, are not in the habit of sharing their profits with others so for many years, the Windelov was unavailable. By the way, the plant is named after Tropica's founder, Holger Windelov.

Then, all of a sudden, a fish shop in Serangoon North began selling the Windelov in substantial numbers. Rumours are that the people from Tropica warned them about this. Well, obviously too, the warnings were ignored because besides that fish shop in Serangoon North, many other fish shops also began selling the plant.

I met a French guy who worked for an aquatic plant company based in Holland a few years ago. He told me that Tropica sued several aquatic plant import/exporters in Europe to the point of bankruptcy when they (Tropica) discovered that these import/exporters had been selling their patented plants without giving them a cut.

Seems like the people from Tropica were here a few years ago during Aquarama and their blood pressures went up several degrees when they saw the Windelov sold in many fish shops. They would have sued but it seems like the patent laws are not valid here. That, the French guy told me, is why Tropica refuses to sell their other patented plants here anymore.

I'm not sure if the story is true. It could be just a tall tale. Bear in mind that I've heard many tall tales and told a fair amount of it myself over the last few years But what is probably true is that Oriental Aquarium of Singapore, one of the main distributor of aquatic plants will not dare to distribute Tropica's patented plants without their permission. If they do, I'm sure Tropica will sue their pants off

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, that isnt true.. I bought my M. pteropus 'tropica' from Aquamart when I first started and I recommended a friend who bought a super big bunch for $100

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Loh, that isnt true.. I bought my M. pteropus 'tropica' from Aquamart when I first started and I recommended a friend who bought a super big bunch for $100
    ----------------
    Oh, then you must have started not too long ago. Aquamart which first opened at Shun Li Industrial Complex only became a Tropica dealer about 2 years ago, or 3; I can't quite remember. If the Tropica Java Ferns are sold legally in Singapore, it has to be at Aquamart. But I haven't been there for a long time. Last time I was there, the place looked downright miserable.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Pet Safari in Simei has them, but only a little. Been there in the top right corner tank for sometime already. Maybe too ex, nobody bought it yet.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Aquamart last time do sells Plants imported Directly from Tropica.
    But now, they don't. All the plants now are from Plant Farms in Singapore. Can see directly from the way the plants are packed in pots.
    How i noe about this? My fren's Dad opened Aquamart last time. So can say its the Founder lah. Haha! But he sold it off to the current boss now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    loh, I havent been to Aquamart for like 2 years already[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    how many owners are there in aqua mart ... who is the current boss ... what happened to raymond ?

Feedback Score
    Raymond sold the shop off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Benny, you have PM.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I remember seeing the garranttee that Tropica provide the buyers of their plants. I wonder how such garranttee can ever work here. I cannot remember exactly, I think it assure that the plant will survive and glow on the tank for certain period.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    FC, guarantee for 1 month from purchase time, if for any reason the plant doesnt grow or die if u provided the requirement as per stated on the tag they will exchange a new plant for u... yes, they gurantee that in Aquamart, coz I did exchange one of the plants I bought

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/2/2003 10:24:37 PM

I have them and they grow quite tall. You can order them from That Fish and Pet Place or C328. S$15 or S$30 for a big bunch on driftwood. No loose type.

If you like, you can get some leaves from me and grow them yourself.

Cheers,
    ----------------
    Hi guys,

No more "tropica" left. Just open my PM and realise that there's quite a few request. I don't have enough to give everybody. Sorry.

Cheers,
    I have dwarf cichlids in my tanks! Do you?