Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Breeding the Aphyosemion australe (Lyretail)

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Breeding the Aphyosemion australe (Lyretail)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey, fellas,

I've stumbled upon a new method of incubating the eggs of the killifish known as the Aphyosemion australe, aka Lyretail. Fungus, the bane of all killifish breeders, is no longer a problem with this method.

If you like to see how I do it, take a look at my new page on my website at:

http://www.killies.com/Incubating2.htm

Happy fishkeeping!!

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Eh..timebomb..using Ghost shrimp is a bit risky as they are known to catch small vulnerable fishes to eat!..not to say your small little fries?
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    That's a interesting method,how the shrimp cleans the eggs. But just a question, won't the ghost shrimp eat the newly hatched fry? Or will they be whisked away to a safer place by then?
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    That's a interesting method,how the shrimp cleans the eggs. But just a question, won't the ghost shrimp eat the newly hatched fry? Or will they be whisked away to a safer place by then?
    ----------------
    The shrimp doesn't really *clean* the eggs but being a scavenger, it will eat all the particles attached to them. I've not seen evidence of the shrimp eating newly hatched fry although this has been said by many hobbyists. I suspect they could be wrong as what they saw were probably shrimp eating dead fry. Being scavengers, that's their job but I seriously doubt they are capable of catching live fish. Long-arm shrimp will do that but not Ghost shrimp.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But wait, have you tried that before?
    Lyon © I would rather walk a thousand leagues then to see your ugly face

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But wait, have you tried that before?
    ----------------
    Excuse me????? How do you think I managed to take the pictures?

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Timebomb,

Can we verify that it is a ghost shrimp as of those sold in LFS as LH food(also known as glass shrimp)? You've stated, "also known as malaysian shrimp". Is malaysian shrimp refering to malayan shrimp we know of? Kind of confusing[] ..
    In fact I've got one of your shrimp the other day. Yes, it won't bother good eggs or frys. Not sure what kind of shrimp that is but I believe any small algae-eating shrimps other than ghost or yamato will be safer. The later two are very "hard working" lot.
    []

Turaco.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Something struck me...

Cichlid breeders likes to keep the frys together with the parents, because all cichlid parents take care of the frys. Of course can't do that with killies. But another reason is that it is observed that cichlid frys which did not receive parental care when its young, (hatched and raised artificially by humans) will not take care of its own young when they become parents. Scientists believe that the behaviour of parental care is impressed into the cichlids at young age, rather than inheritated by genes.

Wonder what will happen if I use ghost shrimp for cichlid eggs, with the first creature the babies see being a shrimp, wonder if the frys will mistook the shrimp as parent, what will happen, like cartoon like that.
    Live and let live, stop using life feeds.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Can we verify that it is a ghost shrimp as of those sold in LFS as LH food(also known as glass shrimp)?
    ----------------
    Turaco, I'm not really sure of the shrimp's name as I couldn't find any website that has a picture of the shrimp similar to the one I was using. I bought my shrimp from Karin Leow of Far East Aquatics at Simon Lane and she said it's Malaysian shrimp. But she could have said Malayan shrimp,; I'm not sure. Maybe the price will give you a better indication; I bought them at $8 for a hundred pieces.

Actually, I'm quite sure any algae-eating shrimp will do the job just as well. But maybe the Yamatoes, being larger than the usual shrimp, will eat the eggs. Whatever, just don't use those long-arm shrimp. They are predators.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    But another reason is that it is observed that cichlid frys which did not receive parental care when its young, (hatched and raised artificially by humans) will not take care of its own young when they become parents. Scientists believe that the behaviour of parental care is impressed into the cichlids at young age, rather than inheritated by genes.
    ----------------
    I don't know much about cichlids but what you wrote is news to me. I've always thought that parental care behaviour is a basic instinct in all cichilds. If it's learned behaviour, it would be strange that they know about the mating process but not the after-care part. If you don't mind me saying, Leafhorn, I think you could have got it wrong. Or maybe I should say those scientists were wrong.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/3/2003 1:53:54 PM

Can we verify that it is a ghost shrimp as of those sold in LFS as LH food(also known as glass shrimp)?
    ----------------
    Turaco, I'm not really sure of the shrimp's name as I couldn't find any website that has a picture of the shrimp similar to the one I was using. I bought my shrimp from Karin Leow of Far East Aquatics at Simon Lane and she said it's Malaysian shrimp. But she could have said Malayan shrimp,; I'm not sure. Maybe the price will give you a better indication; I bought them at $8 for a hundred pieces.

Actually, I'm quite sure any algae-eating shrimp will do the job just as well. But maybe the Yamatoes, being larger than the usual shrimp, will eat the eggs. Whatever, just don't use those long-arm shrimp. They are predators.

Loh K L
    ----------------
    Ok. Confirm that's malayan shrimp. Long arm shrimps are ghost shrimps. The stripes of the shrimp in your pic also look like malayan.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Ok. Confirm that's malayan shrimp. Long arm shrimps are ghost shrimps. The stripes of the shrimp in your pic also look like malayan.
    ----------------
    Thanks for pointing out the error, Skydevil. But can anyone else confirm this? The closest thing I found on the net is a picture of a Ghost shrimp at:

http://www.petfish.net/ghost.htm

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Malayan don't have eyes that big . It's still not a malayan shrimp[] .

Turaco.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    Thanks for pointing out the error, Skydevil. But can anyone else confirm this? The closest thing I found on the net is a picture of a Ghost shrimp at:

http://www.petfish.net/ghost.htm

Loh K L
    ----------------
    Well, another clue to IDing the shrimp is that malayan shrimps change color while ghost dunt. Most Ghost shrimps hav very long fleelers