Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Is this shrimp frys

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    my 2 ft tank with only xmas moss plus a piece of wood is two week old. few day back, i release 10 pcs of malayan shrimp to the tank. however today under the pl light , i notice lots of small small 'things' swim around. can this be the shrimp frys. i am just worry that it is mosquitoes frys!!!. i am running an external filter and suppose with filter, mosquitoes should not lay egg in the tank. please advise.

thanks
    buzzy

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/2/2003 11:31:20 PM

my 2 ft tank with only xmas moss plus a piece of wood is two week old. few day back, i release 10 pcs of malayan shrimp to the tank. however today under the pl light , i notice lots of small small 'things' swim around. can this be the shrimp frys. i am just worry that it is mosquitoes frys!!!. i am running an external filter and suppose with filter, mosquitoes should not lay egg in the tank. please advise.

thanks
    buzzy
    ----------------
    think those are indeed shrimp fries... thought it was mosquito larvae too when i got them in my ex 2 ft... try to provide more cover for them so that fish cannot get to them...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    It could be water fleas if your tank is only 2 weeks old and still under cycling with no fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    if those are water fleas, what should i do? i have relaeae only ten shrimp and one oto. as the moss is growting dam slow, i tok of releasing fishes in another two weeks later. i do it now? please advise.

thanks

buzzy[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Were your Malayan shrimps carrying eggs before you released them into your tank. If they were, it is highly likely shrimp fries. But they will not survive in your tank if it is too 'clean'.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I saw little white dots moving around in my 2ft planted tank too. Only shrimps, no fish at all.

My first thought was - water fleas!

Do shrimp fries look like water fleas too?
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Those little tin look like while dot with a tail, it swim quite fast like dot dot dot...., my main worry now is to ensure it is not mosquitoes frys. so if i am running a filter, those should not be a chance that mosquitoes breed in the tank, please correct me if i am wrong. then if these are water fleas, if i leave it alone, what will happen? i did not notice if the malayan shrimp is carry any egg. i still perfer to to release fishes in another two weeks time, but if needed i may release one to two fish first to eat up those little tins.

please advice, thanks

buzzy.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    don't think is mosquito larvae, because these are quite big, about 1 cm? like a grey bloodworm, and it wiggles just like bloodworm too.

I think Singapore too clean liaoz! people never see mosquito larvae before!!
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    the little tin are like little white dot with a tail and not 1 cm long and can only be seen under my pl light on. there seem to be lots of the tank. was relieve that it is not mosquito larvae. but still what happen if it water fleas, will these water fleas become fly?

thanks

buzzy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    The authorities must be doing a dam good job of mosquito control if people nowadays can't event recognise the jentik jentik (mosquito larvae), which are quite un-water flea like...

To be sure of a hypothesis, always use the scientific method: Hard Proof and nothing else..... if those "things" metamorphosize into pupae and flying blood-sucking bugs, you got your answer!

where did the idea that water fleas turn into flies come from???? The authorities that be don't seem to be doing such a good job on Biology 101 though....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    my sentiments too...baby mosquitoes does not dot dot dot...they tend to be worm like...used to get a lot when I was young and still growing plants...got a damn good scolding from mom for breeding mosquitoes. Was living 3rd floor then. Quite high chance of getting mosquitoes.