Thread: "Blister Like" growth with a "worm like"

Feedback Score

"Blister Like" growth with a "worm like"

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,
    I am a newbie...... I have recently observed that my green & cardinal tetra are having blister growth on the forehead & dorsal fin. Under close examination it looks like there is a "white worm" or something inside.

Need to know if this is a parasite or bacteria infection and if there is a treatment for it?

Anyway, the infected fishes are eating well.... don't really look sick except for the growth.

I have isolate the infected fishes into a hospital tank with "befuran" added. Still under observation.

As for the main tank, I have dose it with Ocean free external bacteria & fungus treatment (type E)....Not sure if it help?

So far no death yet..keeping my fingers X.

Am I doing the right thing ????

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    its probably anchor worm.

If yours is a planted tank, you can try salting and changing the water more frequently (3 day / change). The fish should recover after a week or so.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/3/2003 10:08:59 PM

its probably anchor worm.

If yours is a planted tank, you can try salting and changing the water more frequently (3 day / change). The fish should recover after a week or so.
    ----------------
    Yes, mine is planted tank with 129L capacity. Not sure how much salt should I put ??? I do not want to kill me plants and I am not familiar with salting although I have heard quite frequently about it. Thanks for the advice.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    I dun really measure how much salt i add in either, sheer pure on that part. I just a grab a fifth handful and add it during all water change. Not sure if this much is helpful at all.

But the water changing part is independant of the salting. Quite effective i would say and u dun have to worry about the plants. I have treated my tetras this way both in my 3ft and 1.5ft.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Will try salting on my next water change. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    If I am not wrong, it should be white spots. It can be cured.

I did the following:
    1. Stop changing water frequently...only change 20% per weekend or fortnightly.
    2. Do not quarantine the infected fishes.
    3. Uses Ocean Free White Spot Special for 3 days.

Unfortunately, the green ones I quanrantine them, less than 3 hours, they reported back to heaven coz they cannot adjust to the ph changes. Rest of my tetras and otos are okay.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    white spots are peppered dots on the fish body while the symptons mentioned is something like transparent blister with white thread worm.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Bee...diffcult to visualise if cannot see. Perhaps this article will come into handy. Got the cure...got the disease description too.

http://shell.pubnix.net/~spond/disea...0-%20bacterial

rest of u might be interested to add to your bookmark.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/4/2003 9:46:51 PM

If I am not wrong, it should be white spots. It can be cured.

I did the following:
    1. Stop changing water frequently...only change 20% per weekend or fortnightly.
    2. Do not quarantine the infected fishes.
    3. Uses Ocean Free White Spot Special for 3 days.

Unfortunately, the green ones I quanrantine them, less than 3 hours, they reported back to heaven coz they cannot adjust to the ph changes. Rest of my tetras and otos are okay.
    ----------------
    I do not think its white spot .... have done those before which are relatively easy to cure.

I do think is a worm parasite of some sort. archor worm maybe.

Bad news! some of the tetra are dieing with secondary infection of mouth rot under isolation. One of mine tetra is mutating into a luohan with a huge blister on the head.....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    some will happen at the stomach and the tail right? I suppose these will not be saved in time. sounds like last stage of cancer...

anyone can help him?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    - Do more frequent water change. I changed 30% every third day with redosing of fert in normal amount.
    - Put salt

All fishes, mostly cardinals, with very bad infection recovered fully. No harm done to plant, in fact, they did better.
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I have the same parasite on my tetras. I removed one worm from my cardinal's mouth with my pincer. Damn disgusting. Since then, the cardinal has recovered.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    >< mine dead whilst quarantine...but rest of em have recovered. I might have been dealing with two diseases at the same time...coz 3 tanks shows white spot symptoms...but only 1 shows a matching to the above mentioned.

[:] anyway...gald all recovered liao.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    for the symptom stated, confirm it is anchor worms....salt treatment for this particular nasty is extremely high and still no garantees. it may be best to use coppersafe.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i've seen this thing plenty of times

like here

unfortunately, there's no clue to the actual identity of the parasite
    it's definitely not ich, because they're worm like parasites
    they're unlikely to be anchor worms too, because they're not very lethal, whereas anchor worms = death within a few days

anyway, if you can, manual removal sounds alrite
    try coppersafe?
    good luck

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/20/2003 11:15:47 AM

i've seen this thing plenty of times

like here

unfortunately, there's no clue to the actual identity of the parasite
    it's definitely not ich, because they're worm like parasites
    they're unlikely to be anchor worms too, because they're not very lethal, whereas anchor worms = death within a few days

anyway, if you can, manual removal sounds alrite
    try coppersafe?
    good luck
    ----------------
    I have tried salt bath without any good... stunt my plant..then I switch to coppersafe for about a week now. Do not really kill those worm.... some grow pretty big. I have try isolating the very badly infected tetra...but they die under isolation.

I have decided to keep them in the main tank hoping they will survive the ordeal.

Anyway, you are right that its not very fatal. Most of the tetra infected are alive and eating well.

Anyway, I have observed that the worm seems to be protected under the blister. As the blister grow and break. The worm will disappear, unfortunately the tetra that I observed goes to heaven after a day

Will wait and see ....[]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    how much salt did you add to wipe it out? i used 3 tbsp per 20l, my plants were still ok
    you may have more sensitive plants

just have some patience
    i doubt there's anything we can do short of nuking the tank to get rid of it
    if the fish die out, remember the source where you bought the infected fish, and be more careful when buying fish from them in the future [:]