Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to keep Glosso?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi, I had planted my Glosso nearly 1 month, and is doing well except that it keep growing vertically! become a tall plant!
    can anyone tell me why?
    and my tank size is 2 x 1.5 x 2 ft, 1.5 bubble ps, 3x 36 watt PL, 10 hours a day.
    I ask Gen-X, he said my lighting is not enough, is that true? for a two ft tank, wat is the optimum light to use? or wat is the diff of 10000K or 6400K PL tube?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    on a watts per gallon basis I would say it is borderline, 108W for 42 gallon. But given your unusual configuration I should think you have sufficient, at least for those areas directly under the lights.

Do you test your pH? perhaps you can try upping the CO2, I suppose you are not using an overhead filter and losing CO2? Can also try to plant the glosso deep into the substrate (1-inch) leaving just the top leaves out of the gravel.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/3/2003 10:04:09 PM
    and my tank size is 2 x 1.5 x 2 ft, 1.5 bubble ps, 3x 36 watt PL, 10 hours a day.
    ----------------
    The grow pattern as described, seems to be a sign of lighting deficiency. Even though you have high wattage lights but you must understand that light spread out & weakens as it travel further into the tank...

refer to this article written by a hobbyist,Growing Glsso. In the article, it did mention the mistake of using a tank that is too tall.
    Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Just curious. Where did you buy such big tank?

PL light can penetrate well. What you can do is try to give direct light where glosso grows. You may also cut to promote growth of new shoots at side.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    is 2 x2 x 1.5 feet tank big? 2 feet is only 60cm length!
    Anyway, thanks bro! Actually my PH 6.8, KH 5, GH 7-10 (not sure), using Eheim 2222 external filter, CO2 1.5ps, all these condition should be no problem right? or will it be the temperature?
    My light has been fully cover my tank, the penetration should be fine right?... I have trim it off, and now become short again!
    Q : can E-ballast 6400K support PL Tube with 10000K ? or is there any diff for home use PL tube (Philip. Osram, Tashi...etc) function same as Aquarium PL? is there any Diff?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sorry the tank is 60cm(L) x 45cm (H) x 30cm (W), 3x 36 Watt PL tube not sufficient for 45cm height tank? the penetration got problem? Note: the Glosso are not under shade! and one 36W direct on Glosso!
    But Why problem pursue? can anyone help?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    mmm… you have A LOT of light, in fact how do you manage to pack 3×36 PL over 2ft×1ft. I would try planting them properly and look at the CO2 level.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Get white PL lights at 6500K and not those 10000K type for planted tanks. Your CO2 level is pretty good..just push the glosso back into the gravel as it starts to grow up or prune and plant it back into the substrate.
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dubai
    thats right.. plant them deeper into the substrate if not the creepers will run above the level.. then u will start having poblems...
    aQuaLabs in the making...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    PAST (18W cheapo brand light overhead with DIY CO2)
    Present (50W arcadia Freshwater overhead with pro-CO2 injection)

Aquabeanz:
    They are really creeping above the gravel... but don;t seems to be floating off... What kind of problem you foresee?

Baby Steel!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Nice carpet... CO2 is pretty much the issue seen with the pics as a comparison. With poor CO2 levels, you get small newly grown leaves...
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    when they grow more and start to overlap each other, the lower layers will start to rot, you can add lots of shrimps to help eat up the rotting stuff. "Lots" means around 100 per foot run, malayan type of shrimps (i.e. cherry, tiger, bee, etc). Can also add about 5-10 yamatoes per foot run depending on algae situation.

the overlapping rotting problem is one of the reason I switched from glosso to hairgrass, but that has its own other problems