Thread: Heavy slime hit discus

Feedback Score

Heavy slime hit discus

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

What are the possible diseases which cause discus to develop heavy slime over the whole body ?

All discus struck. Looks like discus plague (hopefully not).
    No fin rot, appetite not very good.

Water parameter excellent.

And what are the possible remedy ?

rgds

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hi koon

i dont think it is discus plague.....one of the obvious signs of discus plague is the fish rotting smell that comes out of the tank water....think what you may be having is slime diease (think it is closely related to Costia)...which my understanding is quickly passed around.

Did you introduced any new fish or have you changed your water parameter...salting your tank as a firstline may be good at this point of time....the other consideration is interpet or coppersafe.....
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    on time to add.. if u r using coppersafe.. don't use it in a planted tank..

Feedback Score
    Yes, I introduce new fishes but maybe not. I add in my discus from another tank into my main hall tank. I think it is a mistake cos' it started to chase around other discus in the tank.

The next two days, all discus turn dark and start to develop slime.

Worst thing is that my altum that I introduced two weeks ago also start to develop the slime.
    Maybe comes from the altum ?

Anyway already treated with salt + interpet # 7 for slime and velvet disease. But so far until the 3rd day, no improvement seen.Good thing is that fish still eating.

Should I wait ?

rgds
    Koon

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    well for me the best medication for slime is the yellow solution that we use to apply for cuts and all :P and that always work for me.. ^.^

u can also increase the temp to abt 30degree cos of the cold weather these days..

----------------
    On 2/4/2002 5:33:26 PM

Yes, I introduce new fishes but maybe not. I add in my discus from another tank into my main hall tank. I think it is a mistake cos' it started to chase around other discus in the tank.

The next two days, all discus turn dark and start to develop slime.

Worst thing is that my altum that I introduced two weeks ago also start to develop the slime.
    Maybe comes from the altum ?

Anyway already treated with salt + interpet # 7 for slime and velvet disease. But so far until the 3rd day, no improvement seen.Good thing is that fish still eating.

Should I wait ?

rgds
    Koon

----------------

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Re: Heavy slime hit discus

Hi all,
    Just wanted to find out if it is inappropriate for me to join this thread since I have a similar problem with my discus.
    Should I start a new thread?
    A thousand apologies!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

As long as the discussion is on the same matter, feel free to contribute / join in.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Thank you for your clarification and reply, BossTeck!
    I recently purchased 4 red melons from a private importer. I think the discus came from either Spore, Malaysia or Thailand. Not sure whether it was stress or disease, 24 hours later, the fishes looked lethargic and started to develop white mucous/slime on their bodies. And they kept scrapping themselves against the driftwood, seemingly to remove the secretions.
    I have since placed Epsom Salts in the quarantine tank. Conditions have not worsened but have yet to show mark improvement. I read the previous writers contributions regarding using Interpret 7. I don't think I could find it here in Aust, at least not that particular brand. What is the chemical name for the product?
    Would stress have caused this? ANyway I could have avoided this? I purchased other discus from the seller and it was fine that particular time.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you have any available tank around?
    Use it, fill up the tank with clean water, and temperature of 28deg c, add salt. Depending on amount of water, try to dose more than usual.

Daily water changes is required.
    Ian
    fish: discus/endlers
    new addition::: CRS advanture

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by godprint View Post
    Do you have any available tank around?
    Use it, fill up the tank with clean water, and temperature of 28deg c, add salt. Depending on amount of water, try to dose more than usual.

Daily water changes is required.
    Thank you for your response and advice.
    What dose would you recommend? The fishes are currently in a 125 litre tank on their own with some driftwood. The temp is 30C with air stone and Eheim canister filter.
    I have placed about 100gm of salt. How long should I leave the salt in? Should I replenish salt with each water change?

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Southy462 View Post
    Thank you for your response and advice.
    What dose would you recommend? The fishes are currently in a 125 litre tank on their own with some driftwood. The temp is 30C with air stone and Eheim canister filter.
    I have placed about 100gm of salt. How long should I leave the salt in? Should I replenish salt with each water change?
    The cause of it, the reasons are many. Important thing is

1) Remove the coat of slime

2) Maintain clean water(change daily with necessary anti chlorine)

The cheapest and most effective way to remove slime is using PP(potassium permanganate). Dose for 3-4 hours. PP is an oxidizing agent so it can harm your discus if overdosed. After 3-4 hours, the PP won't be anymore effective and so water chance is due(by now the water will turn brown, at the beginning it should be purple). Once the coat of slime is removed, maintain good clean water and let them build their own immunity to fight against whatever disease that causes it to shed slime.

HTH.

P/S > May I suggest you start a new thread for your issue so it won't be confusing to readers as this is a rather old thread. 9 years long.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpong View Post
    The cause of it, the reasons are many. Important thing is

1) Remove the coat of slime

2) Maintain clean water(change daily with necessary anti chlorine)

The cheapest and most effective way to remove slime is using PP(potassium permanganate). Dose for 3-4 hours. PP is an oxidizing agent so it can harm your discus if overdosed. After 3-4 hours, the PP won't be anymore effective and so water chance is due(by now the water will turn brown, at the beginning it should be purple). Once the coat of slime is removed, maintain good clean water and let them build their own immunity to fight against whatever disease that causes it to shed slime.

HTH.

P/S > May I suggest you start a new thread for your issue so it won't be confusing to readers as this is a rather old thread. 9 years long.
    Thank you, ShrimpOng for your kind advice.
    I suppose I should change all the water at the end of the treatment. Will the PP affect the bacterial filter? Would I need to repeat after the first dosage of 3-4 hours? Or it should be adequate?
    Ooops! I didnt check the date of the original thread. Will start a new one if necessary!
    Thanks again.

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

1) Cease all filtration now because bacteria/parasite lives in them now. You need to reset your system.

2) Use a small tank for PP administration. 2 feet sounds good. Don't have to fill it to the top, half fill is fine.

3) Repeat dose only if you think there are still slime to be removed. Normally if your discus's slime is completely removed, they should be covered by a thin layer of brownish substance. IF white slime is still visible then redose but bear in mind dosing for too long can harm your discus(fin and tail)

Keep a simple sponge filtration if you want but just a tube with bubble is what i'll do for now - keep things simple.

Good if you can post a photo of your tank and your discus so you can be advised accordingly by people.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

for me, will just do constant 100% wc and add heater.....

your fishes should recover soon....

Feedback Score
    13 (93%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by D|n0 View Post
    for me, will just do constant 100% wc and add heater.....

your fishes should recover soon....
    That will do. Or if you have a spare tank, use 2 tanks. Put your discus in different tank in every alternate days. The other tank which don't have discus, dose with PP. This method is more effective because sometimes it is not your fish thta is sick but your tank that is full of bacteria. In this way, you get to reset your tank(kill bacteria). A bit of work moving your fish around but from my experience, the recovery time can be halved.