Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Ikan Sepat and water conditions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im refering to all the questions that i read today. Im new to this aquarium fish hobby but, what i know about is local river fish they are easy to maintain. Many of my friends have them in their aquariums especially "Ikan Sepat", they have a long life span as i was told. Only thing about filling up tap water into the aquarium, it took me 3 days after normal filtration then can in let the fish in.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need suggestions: Articles for aquarium beginners

Johnny, water conditioner such as Nutrafin Aqua Plus (Canada), could help to speed up these process but if you are able to collect water from your local river, you just might have the water hardness required hence there is no need to use Aqua Plus with Bicarbonate of Soda. If you have access to well water, it is already "filtered". Our forefathers have the most igenious way to get water source I should say. You could test the water by introducing one fish in and observe for a few days just to confirm so that the next round when you get the water, you have a rough idea whether you need to "treat" that water or not.

Back here in Singapore, the water is "soft", heavy chlorinated. So we do have to refer to the waterworks website to check the ph, how the water are being treated. We also measure the water from the tap of the ph so we know when change water, what are the rough steps we will need to take. Currently I could changed 30-40% of the water and introduce the water from the tap, "modify" the water before letting the water into the aquarium without killing any fish. Most of my fish just die of old age.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Don't thank me. Mother nature have its way to clean the water so that the livestocks in the river and streams can be maintained. If you are taking water from stream and rivers, make sure it is not stagnant water. Well water is exception.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Johnny, water conditioner such as Nutrafin Aqua Plus (Canada), could help to speed up these process but if you are able to collect water from your local river, you just might have the water hardness required hence there is no need to use Aqua Plus with Bicarbonate of Soda. If you have access to well water, it is already "filtered". Our forefathers have the most igenious way to get water source I should say. You could test the water by introducing one fish in and observe for a few days just to confirm so that the next round when you get the water, you have a rough idea whether you need to "treat" that water or not.
    Not all fish could survive your method of acclimatisation. Some might tolerate the water difference and survive while others might be already weaken by the stress and when placed in such condition, might actually killed them. The best acclimatisation method is the water dripping method.

Back here in Singapore, the water is "soft", heavy chlorinated. So we do have to refer to the waterworks website to check the ph, how the water are being treated. We also measure the water from the tap of the ph so we know when change water, what are the rough steps we will need to take. Currently I could changed 30-40% of the water and introduce the water from the tap, "modify" the water before letting the water into the aquarium without killing any fish. Most of my fish just die of old age.
    Singapore water IS chlorinated BUT it also contain chloramine, which was added a few years ago if I'm not mistaken. This new addition has wiped out a lot of discus fish when it was 1st added as I was told. As a result, discus keeper had to find a way to nullify the chlorine AND chloramine before adding the water to their tanks. Also, the water quality would be different from 1 estate to the other due to the fact that some estate are matured estate and their water pipe are well, matured. Fish keepers HAVE to measure the water hardness and ph themselves instead of relying from the water works website.

Don't thank me. Mother nature have its way to clean the water so that the livestocks in the river and streams can be maintained. If you are taking water from stream and rivers, make sure it is not stagnant water. Well water is exception.
    It depends. A clear water doesn't indicate that it is clean. It might contain some free floating parasite and their eggs. Also, the river water localized in your area might not be suitable to fishes from other continent in the world.

Hope this helps!
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Ikan Sepat and water conditions

BFG, relax...

So far my fish all survive till old age if they don't kill themselves (Arowana). Depends on skill. I can take few pails of water from the tap, treat them and fill the tank within the next 10 mins. Discus, is currently not within my radar. But arowanna being one of the sensitive fish around, it has survived until it actually tried to make a leap and killed itself. Elsewhere at the market, the LFS TaoKay (Boss) keep complaining the tap water kill his fish stock. Beats me...

Johnny, I still suggest that you check out your local water works. If your water source is coming from SG, then it would most likely be treated too. SG buys water from MY, treat it and sell some back to MY. Test with one fish for 2 weeks first. Experience is more relevant for you at the moment. Don't base on what your friend tells you, you have to learn via your own observation as you will be the one keeping them.
    Last edited by Blue Whale; 21st Dec 2009 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys,

I think most of us have been on the internet long enough to know that views do differ and sometimes we have no more than experience to back up our words.

Also remember that the lack of visual and verbal clues in 'faceless' and 'voiceless' communication can often lead us to misconstrue intentions and attitude. I strongly recommend applying a good strong dose of 'benefit of doubt' when communicating on the internet and focus on information sharing and discussion (and correction, if necessary), rather than on perceptions of attitudes and intentions, etc.
    Last edited by vinz; 21st Dec 2009 at 17:17.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Please turn to a more relaxing tone.

I am highlighting that water from same area such as my place also show a big differences, so support BFG that water may differ. The Ikan Sepat like to be originate from Thailand and intro. to MY and SG in 1930s. Ikan Sepat Sepat(Trichogaster pectoralis); fighting fish. 26 cm. Feral, uncommon. Rural streams and ponds. Eaten usually as salted fish.

I supported BFG testing the water, even measure the various water condition such as ph, temperature, water hardness etc. BFG is more detailed in the sense he added possibility of parasites. This portion quite difficult to test. But note that Malaysia would dam the water source upstring for hydroelectricity. Hence chances is that there will be a fish already in place to test the water cleaniness. These test fish works in shift so as not to stress them. =) Observation is still a must.

Remove the fish immediately if you detect any changes during the testing phase. Do it during the weekend such as Christmas, where you have 3 days to observe the fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Johnny, I kept "Ikan Sepat" as a child and I caught several back in Melaka during one of my visits to my grandfather's kampung. They can live in all sorts of water. I remember keeping one in a tank that was so murky, it was still in there somewhere. Why? Because it always appears whenever food goes into the tank.

I caught several in a ditch near a padi field, where there was a coating of oil on the surface. Funny thing was, I did not expect to find ANY fish under there but lo and behold, I caught 2 young ones.

In my case, the Ikan Sepat I am referring to is Anabas testudineus aka Climbing Perch. I know that some families call it Ikan Betok, but from small my mom kept calling it Sepat. As for the Gourami, or Sepat like what some people call, they live in almost the same conditions. Although I doubt it can survive in a ditch with the thick layer of oil on the surface like those young Climbing Perch I caught.

General conditions are acid to neutral pH and soft water, from what I recall. The Trichogaster species are hardy and can survive in normal aquarium conditions without much fuss.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

don't confuse me, so what exactly is this "ikan sepat"?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Stormhawk and hwchoy Merry Christmas and A happy New Year. What i know, there are many different kinds of Ikan Sepat, the one that i am familiar has three or two dots on each side of the fish (Trichogaster Trichopterus). They survive in flowing fresh water and mainly easily to find in padi fields even if the water is milky or ditch water and most popular as salted fish (Blue Whale got that right).
    I doubt if fish can live in water with thick layer of oil, they need oxygen to surive. But, Ikan Haruan can survive in thick layers of mud. Many buy Ikan haruan after being operated or giving birth. It is believe to cure faster.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

ah yes that's what I thought is ikan sepat. makes very good eating after deep fried at Nasi Padang stalls.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

ha ha ha you got that right hwchoy, ikan sepat is good to eat when deep fried hot!!!
    Make sure you DO NOT put them in the aquarium and when time comes you deep fried them! They are very beautiful to look at especially with aquarium lightings.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

-.- that's what I think Johnny will do in the first place...hehz hehz.