Country
    Singapore

Able to DIY MH?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

Is it possible to DIY MH? Is it cost effective?
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hi William

The bulk of the cost is probably coming from customising the housing and reflectors. Unless you have an existing housing that you may use.
    [email protected]
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The title below my name does not make me a guru...listen at your own risk!...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    A lot of us are having PL light hoods etc... so is it possible to DIY from here? How is the circuitry like? Same as PL?
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The circuitry is similar. But the heat emitted by metal halide is much greater than PL. So make sure there is adequate ventilation.

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/4/2003 9:19:13 PM

Hi

Is it possible to DIY MH? Is it cost effective?
    ----------------
    Actually I was looking at DIY MH lights for my tank. Based on information from someone who has done it, the actual cost of building one is not cost effective unless it is something really customised that you want to build, which cannot be found off-the-shelf.

What I was told is that one set of 150W MH lighting fixtures (ballast, MH light fittings) will be about $120. MH bulb is about $100. The cost is already $200+ without counting materials for DIY the hood, unless you have some old aquarium fluorescent light housing lying around.

Now can get a hanging pendant MH light (almost the same design as the old version of Dupla MH light) for less than $200.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    errhh not exactly kingpin....there is still the ignitor....you have to ensure that your PL Light housing is able to take the heat without warping and has sufficient space and ventilation.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Correct me if I'm wrong....

Think you could get your family and yourself into health risk if you either did not "cover" using the correct materials or did not enclose the bulbs at all. Skin Cancer potential involvements here... think twice.
    Cheers and Regards,
    Billy Cheong

I'm not always dumb,
    Just most of the time...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    Guys

Thanks for all the info....Actually the hanging type of MH is cheap but it is troublesome to hang the light.

My ideal MH is those type light the PL light type of housing. However it is more expensive, I guess about S$650 for a 4 ft tank.
    Regards
    William

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The ballasts have to be external since it is usually too big to fit into the casing. The heat is also a issue. I have actually suggested to Chan of NA whether he is interested in fitting MH into those PL casings he is selling. However, I dunno whether casing can take the heat generated. I am willing to try if there is a spare casing around.

About UV protection. Those Single ended MH bulbs should already be UV shielded, although it is still safer to check. Double ended bulbs are not UV shielded. You can do a search on my past posting 'My DIY MH'. Hope it can help you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    double ended bulb do have UV Shield.
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Yes, most MH bulbs do come with UV coating e.g. Iwasaki, Osram etc. The lat time I enquired, the bulb cost not more than $40.

The heat is kinda a big issue when you it comes to DIYing a MH fixture. Not only ventilation is important but the housing material has to be carefully chosen to withstand the heat. Then there is the glass to protect against splashing which has to be thermal proof and able withstand thermal shocks also.

The circuitry is actually easier than the FL/PL connection IMO. If you are attempting on this project, try to install the ballast remotely for 2 reasons:
    1. Reduce the weight of the fixture
    2. Reduce heat generated in the lighting fixture

IMO, it's not very cost effective to DIY an MH fixtures since the market for these such lamps are easily available. You don't really have to get MH lights from Aquarium shops, some lighting shops around Jalan Besar, Kelantan Rd or Balestier Rd. do carry some MH lamps that may fit your usage. You may approach them to modify them to position the ballast remotely.
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Dubai
    With reference to pink's reply, where exactly can i get a hang MH penant light at less than $200? i've always thoughy hanging ones are better since u can adjust the thing to the optimum height and tank "fiddling" sessions are more convenient since there's not much obstruction at the top of the tank..

Actually, i thought of a funny idea. Thought of using s sump tank which wil be placed below inside the cabinet, attach a Vista fan and blow the sump tank instead of the main tank cos it'll be unsightly if you place the fan blowing at the main tank iznt it?

Any comments??........??
    aQuaLabs in the making...

Feedback Score
    ----------------
    On 5/8/2003 12:52:47 AM

With reference to pink's reply, where exactly can i get a hang MH penant light at less than $200? i've always thoughy hanging ones are better since u can adjust the thing to the optimum height and tank "fiddling" sessions are more convenient since there's not much obstruction at the top of the tank..
    you can get hanging pendant MH lamps from 3T Lighting @ Jln Besar. Just ask for Teo. When you ask him for the hanging pendant MH lamps, he will immediately know that you want it for your tanks. I got mine for $170 with 150K OSRAM bulbs. They only have white colour casing.

Just a note - MH lamps are extremely HOT! Even if you adjust the height so that you can fiddle with the tank, you will still feel the heat from the lamps.