Images
    Country
    Singapore

Lamotte test kit recommendation

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I checked with our local Lamotte agent, whether they have stock of the following test kits For Nitrate and Ammonia from their STH series:
    (5148-H) Nitrate Nitrogen Test
    (5103PS-G) Ammonia Nitrogen test
    (5173PT-K) Universal Extract Solution.

Then I was shocked to find that because the components of these test kits contain some toxic substances, it will cost me around $500 in freight costs to get these tiny bottles over! As such I determined to look for a local chemist to mix up the test reagents, which I think should cost much lesser than the freight.

So I'm asking around for your recommendations here. If you know of a chemist that is accurate with his mixing to make up these test reagents, please let me know.

Thanks.
    Last edited by GaspingGurami; 23rd Dec 2009 at 09:23.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Need recommendation for local chemist

Wow.. LaMotte is professional stuff. Look for friends who work for Hyflux. They have it in abundance.. don't say i say

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the tip barmby.

The Lamotte STH testkit is actually a soil test that farmers use.

I'm looking for chemist recommendation as I will just get the chemicals locally, to make up the same test reagents. Then I need not pay so much for the freight to bring these in.

Anyone here deal with chemicals?

LL
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think the price has anything to do with the toxicity of the chemicals.

The local agent in all likelihood is just not interested in small orders, so they price gouge to deter small purchasers (Standard practice in most industries where small quantity orders are rare.)

Almost all test kits are plastered with toxic, irritant, corrosive, flammable labels.

That said is there any specific reason you are looking for Lamotte Test kits in particular?

The complete STH-14 test kit in a hard carrying case retails for USD$628.
    And the reagents you are looking for retail at US$12.00 a bottle.

Pike AgriLab ships internationally.
    http://www.pikeagri.com/vmchk/Comple...uct-flyer.html
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 27th Dec 2009 at 22:12.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Look for friends who are teachers. The science laboratories have everything..

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    I don't think the price has anything to do with the toxicity of the chemicals.

The local agent in all likelihood is just not interested in small orders, so they price gouge to deter small purchasers (Standard practice in most industries where small quantity orders are rare.)

Almost all test kits are plastered with toxic, irritant, corrosive, flammable labels.

That said is there any specific reason you are looking for Lamotte Test kits in particular?

The complete STH-14 test kit in a hard carrying case retails for USD$628.
    And the reagents you are looking for retail at US$12.00 a bottle.

Pike AgriLab ships internationally.
    http://www.pikeagri.com/vmchk/Comple...uct-flyer.html
    It is the Sulfuric Acid content that puts a toll on freight cost - they need to take special precautions to ship that stuff. Our local Lamotte seller was very helpful and it was thru him that I learned the freight handling costs of acids.

But I'm sure stuff like sulfuric acid are available cheaply here. After all, Sulfuric acid is used in car batteries. But because I need to know the precise strength in order to make my own test reagent that is of any accuracy, I'd need a reliable chemist to mix it.

Pike is a good place to get stuff. Their Horiba Cardy pH and EC meters are cheaper than our own Local Horiba office . I have an account with Pike. But the freight is just as much.

Finally, I need these kits to test for ammonia and nitrate of soil.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ah ok, very unique situation, heh.

You can very easily get sulphuric acid, but the problem is you will need to perform an assay of the reagents to get the exact concentrations, also the chemist you engage will have to very precisely mix everything so the colour charts are accordingly calibrated.

I think all things considered, it will end up costing more to do this than if you just place the order with Pike and absorb the shipping charges, unless you require a very large number of tests.

Ordering from the local Lamotte agent should be totally out of the question. Because even if you put the little bottles into a 2ft x 2ft x2ft box and then palletize and wrap this box onto a full sized shipping pallet and get it shipped to your doorstep, it won't cost $500.00, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by GaspingGurami View Post
    It is the Sulfuric Acid content that puts a toll on freight cost - they need to take special precautions to ship that stuff. Our local Lamotte seller was very helpful and it was thru him that I learned the freight handling costs of acids.

But I'm sure stuff like sulfuric acid are available cheaply here. After all, Sulfuric acid is used in car batteries. But because I need to know the precise strength in order to make my own test reagent that is of any accuracy, I'd need a reliable chemist to mix it.

Pike is a good place to get stuff. Their Horiba Cardy pH and EC meters are cheaper than our own Local Horiba office . I have an account with Pike. But the freight is just as much.

Finally, I need these kits to test for ammonia and nitrate of soil.