Country
    Singapore

Pre filter or 2nd Canister for bio filtration

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Any kind bro willing explain\advice?

Using Atman CF800 now, thinking of adding additional Canister or using a prefilter for bio filtration.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Pre filter or 2nd Canister for bio filtration

So what is your question about?

If you need extra bio filtration, then just get a pre filter.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If I am not wrong, pre-filter are generally used for mechanical filter, as this is the first area where water from your tank will flow into, putting bio media there would result it clogging more frequently than usual.

What's your tank size? If budget allows, I would prefer to get another canister, sure, it may increase your power bill and tank temperature slightly, but there will be better circulation in your tank.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes, pre-filtration basically refers to more mechanical filtration where the larger particles of debris is removed before the water goes to the bio-media.

If your CF800 is over powered, you can always add another cannister in series (without needing to connect the power supply) and let the water flow through the second cannister before returning to the tank. That way you won't incur additional power consumption or heat gain, but you will have to put up with the pressure drop and lower flow. Anyway for bio-filtration you would prefer a lower flow rate to be more effective.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you don't want to waste $$ on a 2nd canister, just purchase a OHF unit, but don't use the pump with it. Set your outflow from your Atman canister to flow into the OHF unit. A spray bar with many holes is great. From the OHF tray the water just drains into the tank. The drip effect within the OHF can help in cooling down the water as well, if you don't leave the OHF cover on much, and give you extra bio filtration if you placed bio-media in the OHF tray.

The bacteria in the OHF tray thrive in the wet/dry conditions within the OHF. No danger of clogging either, since your canister is doing the job of trapping all the bigger particles. I'm doing this with my tank and it's great.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 27th Dec 2009 at 02:11.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How big is your tank? a CF800 with a pre-filter is likely to lose quite a bit of its flow rate.

I wouldn't recommend trying this on a tank larger than 2ft.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
    Yes, pre-filtration basically refers to more mechanical filtration where the larger particles of debris is removed before the water goes to the bio-media.

If your CF800 is over powered, you can always add another cannister in series (without needing to connect the power supply) and let the water flow through the second cannister before returning to the tank. That way you won't incur additional power consumption or heat gain, but you will have to put up with the pressure drop and lower flow. Anyway for bio-filtration you would prefer a lower flow rate to be more effective.

2nd canister is usually a faulty one and being use for full bio- media inside for purely biological filteration , but will it cause premature breakdown of the first canister powerhead ?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Ahhh so many responds.
    Sorry for late reply .

Thanks Nicholas & Eric, I am intending to put the prefilter at the output of my CF800.
    Ebi Fuzzy & Lim, my CF800 seems just nice for my 3ft if not i would have bought a faulty canister to use in tandem. (I regret not buying the strong flowrate CF1200 now)

Thanks all for the responds, happy new year to all.
    Learning the hardway, not the highway.
    Photo Blog - impervious-endeavors.blogspot.com

Semi-Active currently
    "if he cant be bothered to take the time to write his question properly, why should I take the time to answer him."