Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: hope some of u can advise me on the yamato shrimps...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hope some of u can advise me on the yamato shrimps...

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Like wat Simon has mentioned... they are quite sensitive to nitrate. You may want to do more water changes and see if it helps.

How are they now?
    Cheers!!

Sherwin Choo
    [email protected]

leann, I really don't know what's up with shrimps, my malayans are weird too, with healthy ones presents I still get occasional genocides (shrimpocides?). do you use any chemicals in your tank? they don't like chemicals very much at all. and since you oredi keep malayans why keep yamatoes? if I"m not wrong, yams will eat plants when lack of food present and malayans are must prettier than yams, mine are assorted coloured, from white to red with one old "king" with immense pincers and big black eyes. since your malayans are fine why not just stick to them and not keep yams? that'll save you lots of headache and heartache!

Feedback Score
    I first would have suspected something copper-based in your tank (Aquari-sol, any residual Ich medication), but you say you have other invertebrates in this tank, so copper is probably not the culprit. Other possibilities are shock from sudden introduction into drastically different water parameters, too *low* pH, or ammonia poisoning. C. japonica are not very sensitive to nitrAtes or even nitrItes, from what I've read. They're very sensitive to ammonia, however. Oh, and temperature should not exceed 30C. They can probably survive short periods at this temperature, but it should be avoided.

Finally, they are MOST susceptible when they are molting. This is when they become "exposed" to any and all toxins in the water. Too *little* calcium, as well as too *much* calcium can impede with the regeneration of the exoskeleton. If your other shrimp are doing okay, the calcium level is probably fine.

Remember - don't just dump the shrimp into your tank. You have to let the bag sit in the tank to equilibrate the temperature, and also, take a few hours to trickle tank water into the bag in small portions. This will help to minimize shock.

-gnome

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    as wat gnome say i have everything in ur list and have done accordingly b4 i post.. but the fact that only the yamatos went crazy is really distressing.. : the only chemicals i have added b4 hand was blackish water and fertiliser.. nothing else

hoppinghippo> i wanted to try something new, cos i mistaken malayans with yamatos.. and who noes they die on me :/

simon> they still laying on the side :/ i think once they recover maybe u can have them..

Feedback Score
    Here is the article from which I have acquired most of my information. You may as well read it, because I probably left some things out.

http://suiso.com/ebi.htm

Hope at least a few of them pull through. If you have gaps through which they can escape, make sure that the water level is not too high. If there are any plants growing out of the surface of the water, consider trimming them.

Good luck!

-gnome

Leann, I know how it feels like cuz I had gone thru it too, did the whole ritual too. the only time I had 100% success was when I kept the shrimps separately in another small tank first for a few days, feeding them and all. didn't care much about the water being the same as my main tank water. after a few days, I just transferred them without conditioning, and they all made it. I don't think it's so much of water difference as to the physical shock of being transported home from the LFS and then released into a new environment.

PS. I heard from gen x that in the future they might bring in the red shrimps (red ruby I think, not sure), so don't fret about your yams, in the future there'll be nicer ones to try!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    LA, u mean they never recover since that day?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    thank u ^.^

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hoppinghippo> i hope they will my friend have been pestering them to sell the only one there []

simon> yes they will eventually lay on their side after they swim ard..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    dun give up so easily.. yamato r defintely more hardwork than any shrimps available for planted tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    but how? i dunno wat is in the tank that is killing them...

Same thing here, I try at least 3 bags of yamato and all went MIA or died.

I suspect my temp (28 to 31) is the main culprit or even my ram and sae snacking on them...

The most recent case 20 yamato disappear overnite. no corpse were left???

Anyone can help us solve this puzzle???

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    wat other fishes u have? Rams could be a cause... SAE? prolly the shrimps r dead b4 u see yr SAE feasting on them... yes, high temp is a prob to keeping yamato.. i get casualities above 30..