Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting Adv. Needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    IF you have so much problem with Co2... then..... why you insist on using co2?? be it liquid, powder, canister.. why still use it? The plants you choose don't need it what. What is the function of Co2 in a tank?

If you're saying you want to try a tank with excel...then okay...its not about growing fissidens anymore. Its about, what works in a tank with excel.

Fissidens works with or without co2. which you want? with excel method?
    If with excel, can also. It will just grow a bit faster loh.
    Also your fish... your tank is how big? why you want to put 50L cardinals inside? and shrimp also? Don't do this to yourself or the fish, it crowds your tank, the fish won't be too happy and it makes growing the plants so much more complicated. Cut your fish down to about 20. That should work alright for a 2ft tank. For a light i wouldn't go 55w myself, go with something less like a 36...that is if you're going pl.
    Thanks Bro,
    Noted your message. You sure have a point there, will do as per your adv.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Des,

If you are living at New Woodlands (Blk 570+) that is nearer to Gambas, the temperature will fall to 26C at night due to the presence of the vegetation there. If you are worry about heat, just get a cooler fan.

Lights, just go buy a new one, don't think too much on modification. Remember the circuit breakers at Woodlands are very sensitive. Little bit of mis-wiring can trip your entire house. If you are not experienced enough with electrical stuffs, try not to tamper with Balast stuffs like that. Read more first then do your attempts and make sure you wear your rubber shoes when playing with electricity and no wet hands.

CO2 very simple, get a JBL DIY CO2, after the powder have expended, use sugar solution with yeast, that will "recharged" your CO2 supply. With $1.05 per kg for sugar and French 6 pack of yeast powder at $4+ at NTUC, it isn't that much to spend on. Because the JBL Canister have the appropriate height and the bottle mouth for tubes, you expect each "charge" to be 2-3 weeks of operations before you need to to top up. Since you do purchases at Yishun, both Aqua Star Trading and Chong Pang have plenty of JBL Stuffs. I bought mine at Chong Pang. My other one is from Nutrifin, personally athough the canister is hardy, it does not have the height, hence supply run out quickly after 1-2 weeks of operations.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Des,

If you are living at New Woodlands (Blk 570+) that is nearer to Gambas, the temperature will fall to 26C at night due to the presence of the vegetation there. If you are worry about heat, just get a cooler fan.

Lights, just go buy a new one, don't think too much on modification. Remember the circuit breakers at Woodlands are very sensitive. Little bit of mis-wiring can trip your entire house. If you are not experienced enough with electrical stuffs, try not to tamper with Balast stuffs like that. Read more first then do your attempts and make sure you wear your rubber shoes when playing with electricity and no wet hands.

CO2 very simple, get a JBL DIY CO2, after the powder have expended, use sugar solution with yeast, that will "recharged" your CO2 supply. With $1.05 per kg for sugar and French 6 pack of yeast powder at $4+ at NTUC, it isn't that much to spend on. Because the JBL Canister have the appropriate height and the bottle mouth for tubes, you expect each "charge" to be 2-3 weeks of operations before you need to to top up. Since you do purchases at Yishun, both Aqua Star Trading and Chong Pang have plenty of JBL Stuffs. I bought mine at Chong Pang. My other one is from Nutrifin, personally athough the canister is hardy, it does not have the height, hence supply run out quickly after 1-2 weeks of operations.
    Hi Bro,
    Many thanks for the advice, you are right the circuit breaker are extremely sensitive in Woodlands. Apparently I am putting up with my bro-in-law in Blk 340.

Noted your message about the purchase of a new light too. Apparently I am thinking of getting a 2.5' Jewel Rio Tank from DX. This may also solve the light issue.

As for CO2, most scary encounter I have was with the CO2 cylinder, and most troublesome / messy encounter I had was with Nutrifin. So though that the most simplest mean is with liquid CO2.

Apparently I am now trying out with Seachem Excel, which I am told by Biotope that they are also using. And no bad remarks in the forum.

Anyway some of my fissiden which was tie on the 2 of the DW had turn brown, whereas on the BW still going strong.

Hm... next question, can someone please help enlighten me what went wrong? Doesn't fissiden go well in BW only?

Thanks in advance to all.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The plant is dying.
    If the water perimeters are not right for the plant, they just mati. You can check out my thread. From the time the hc mati until I replant another pot and currently doing fine. Either too much nutrients or your CO2 is insufficient.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=63192

The standard tank light might not get the 3wpg which is minimum for some of the Type 3 difficulty plants. Water cycling is also a must of course. So the standard tank intended might not do the job. Now you understand why finding the equipments with 2.5 is important. On top of AQ site is Aquarium Calculator. Give it a try to understand more of your tank light requirements.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The plant is dying.
    If the water perimeters are not right for the plant, they just mati. You can check out my thread. From the time the hc mati until I replant another pot and currently doing fine. Either too much nutrients or your CO2 is insufficient.
    http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=63192

The standard tank light might not get the 3wpg which is minimum for some of the Type 3 difficulty plants. Water cycling is also a must of course. So the standard tank intended might not do the job. Now you understand why finding the equipments with 2.5 is important. On top of AQ site is Aquarium Calculator. Give it a try to understand more of your tank light requirements.
    Wah this is bad..., it took me about 4 weeks to tie up the plant of 2 DW & 1 BW.

Hm..., I guess as much. The wattage may not be enough with my existing equipment. Well, will redo the whole setup again.

Actually though of lying the Fissiden on my Gex Soil. Was wondering if this will help the plant to get the required nutrient?

Thanks in advance, Bro.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

4 weeks to tie plants?????
    you mean you had the plant already, and you take 4 weeks to tie them to the wood, typing a small part everyday..

why not take 20 mins and do it?
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    4 weeks to tie plants?????
    you mean you had the plant already, and you take 4 weeks to tie them to the wood, typing a small part everyday..

why not take 20 mins and do it?
    Ha... Ha... Ha... What happen was I am told to tie all in one direction, also pluck out excess some that I can cover more space.

After completing 2 DW, then I realise that I might have tide it wrongly. Then I began to re-tie the DW that told me the whole 2 weekend.

The most challenging is the BW, because it is branchy. It took me 2-3 weekend to complete the process.

Started to tie during Chirstmas Day till last weekend. This coming weekend will some shuffle.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm...all these bw bw...I am getting the impression that someone is talking behind me...

Des,
    Obviously you dunno the left over right, right over left of tying. For the next round, your training would be learning how to tie within 2 seconds ^_^ boyscott style. Go to youtube see got teach people how to tie ropes or not. After you get that training, you will tie faster than Mr. AquaObsession...heh heh.

Look like you also need to start over again. Take out most of the water...then observe see what you need to dose later.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm...all these bw bw...I am getting the impression that someone is talking behind me...

Des,
    Obviously you dunno the left over right, right over left of tying. For the next round, your training would be learning how to tie within 2 seconds ^_^ boyscott style. Go to youtube see got teach people how to tie ropes or not. After you get that training, you will tie faster than Mr. AquaObsession...heh heh.

Look like you also need to start over again. Take out most of the water...then observe see what you need to dose later.
    Pardon me please, I think I have S$10.00 already.

Hm... anyway just did a check on the plant. don't seem to be it will survive this time round.

Maybe it will be good if you can adv. what is the basic things that I need to get so that I can re-start the project again.

Thanks Bro.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I tie all my moss with cotton threads! easier, much much easier... using fishing lines is a real nightmare.

And you do not have to make any knots, alright, very few~ depending on your wood!~

Cheers, Christophe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Des, actually I am trying to re-learn some basic too.

E.g. in 2003 I did not learn what is wpg until last year when I rejoined AQ. So lighting I learned from scratch basically. And the tying of the plants, I read threads, watch youtube and found myself actually already know how to tie it. So my next try, perhaps I will learn how to tie the plants also...but no space to put more stuffs in at the moment...hee hee.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    I tie all my moss with cotton threads! easier, much much easier... using fishing lines is a real nightmare.

And you do not have to make any knots, alright, very few~ depending on your wood!~

Cheers, Christophe
    Well, I am using the thicker thread this time round. The last time I use the normal thin thread nightmare I would said. Just with a light pull the thread would burst.

Unfortunately the Bog Wood that I am using is to branchy. That result to the long duration of complete.

To be exact it looks like a bonsai if success. Good the Bog Wood from a neighbour though not to waste such a beauty.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Des, actually I am trying to re-learn some basic too.

E.g. in 2003 I did not learn what is wpg until last year when I rejoined AQ. So lighting I learned from scratch basically. And the tying of the plants, I read threads, watch youtube and found myself actually already know how to tie it. So my next try, perhaps I will learn how to tie the plants also...but no space to put more stuffs in at the moment...hee hee.
    Hey Blue Whale,
    Me too.

To be truth, the result of me coming back to Aqua Planting is that I have completed one challenge. That is keeping Ranchu. With the guildance through this forum the bro had guided me well.

So therefore though that I may give a try back on Aqua Planting. I believed that I have gotten the basic, except for some items.

Name: -
    1 * 20" Tank with built in Light (Unfortunately do not know the wattage)
    1 * 2 Kg of GEX Plant Soil
    1 * 500 ml of Seachem Excel

Maybe you like to enlighten me that there are more thing that I need to gather. such as: - Testing equipment (namely), Cooling Fan and etc.

By the way, I did take a close look at the fissiden this am. Found that the leaf slowly start to turn brown. Was wondering other ther fertilizer which is obtainable from the Gex Soil, do I have to put in more liquid fertilizer?

Thanks in advance
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Light, I think most likely FL. Just turn the tube, should be able to see the wattage, careful hot if you have it turn on.

Fan ar...Options available:

1. Stand fan (can get cheap one at Giant.)
    2. Cans (The brand), Aqua Nature System Cooling Fan 3000. (I am using this)
    Cost: $18 at the shop near char siew store at Clementi 328 or $25 at Yishun Aqua Star Trading. Factor your transport cost of course.
    3. Other brands, might not be "big" enough to cool so usually people run two of those fans instead of one.

What you need to factor here is the number of power sockets available for that setup. Have extra points, not less. 3 pins mixed with 2 pins for the extension, preferably with the 13amp thingy that pops out.

A bit more on (2) is that Cooling Fan 3000 claims to be 2-5C down. According to my test, if room temp. is 27C, tank is 25C, mind you, my two lights, T5 24x2 and PL 13x2 are also active at time of test, definitely generate some heat there. Draw back on the fan thingy is that water evaporates faster so you need to regularly top up every week. Advantage is that it won't cost you a bomb on the monthly electrical bill.

How to decide?
    E.g. You have a chiller and cost you $20 per mth, then you might as well on the air con...lol. If the chiller operating cost $10 per mth., and you are okay, you still have to wipe the glass if water condenses on the glass. Don't do this if got old people around as the floor might be wet too. Children? They will simply crash onto the tank stand. Whichever viable, then you start planning for it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Light, I think most likely FL. Just turn the tube, should be able to see the wattage, careful hot if you have it turn on.

Fan ar...Options available:

1. Stand fan (can get cheap one at Giant.)
    2. Cans (The brand), Aqua Nature System Cooling Fan 3000. (I am using this)
    Cost: $18 at the shop near char siew store at Clementi 328 or $25 at Yishun Aqua Star Trading. Factor your transport cost of course.
    3. Other brands, might not be "big" enough to cool so usually people run two of those fans instead of one.

What you need to factor here is the number of power sockets available for that setup. Have extra points, not less. 3 pins mixed with 2 pins for the extension, preferably with the 13amp thingy that pops out.

A bit more on (2) is that Cooling Fan 3000 claims to be 2-5C down. According to my test, if room temp. is 27C, tank is 25C, mind you, my two lights, T5 24x2 and PL 13x2 are also active at time of test, definitely generate some heat there. Draw back on the fan thingy is that water evaporates faster so you need to regularly top up every week. Advantage is that it won't cost you a bomb on the monthly electrical bill.

How to decide?
    E.g. You have a chiller and cost you $20 per mth, then you might as well on the air con...lol. If the chiller operating cost $10 per mth., and you are okay, you still have to wipe the glass if water condenses on the glass. Don't do this if got old people around as the floor might be wet too. Children? They will simply crash onto the tank stand. Whichever viable, then you start planning for it.
    Hi Blue Whale,
    Many thanks for the adv. Hm... I guess a fan will do the job.

Also what other testing equipment do you think I must get?

I am thinking of getting a second hand tank from the forum to re-start my setting.

And this time round I am thinking of using ADA Amazonia II soil. What do you think I must include if I am changing to latter, instead of using my existing GEX Plant soil.

Also is it advisable to mix GEX Plant Soil with ADA Amazonia II. If yes, I will place GEX Plant Soil at the bottom and have ADA Amazonia lay on top.

Many thanks
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

okay, decide on the plant and fish, then you will know which type of soil to use. Don't mix soil if you are unsure. Can have adverse effect. Once the soil is determined, you still have to monitor the water perimeter. For starters, ph test kit is a must. Rest of the test kits you can pick up as you go along.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

okay, decide on the plant and fish, then you will know which type of soil to use. Don't mix soil if you are unsure. Can have adverse effect. Once the soil is determined, you still have to monitor the water perimeter. For starters, ph test kit is a must. Rest of the test kits you can pick up as you go along.
    Bro Blue Whale,
    Me into Fissiden & Cardinal Tetra, so what is the best soil for the job? Can Gex do or ADA Amazonia II?

Now if the Fissiden is tide on Bog Wood, does fertilizer required? Can Gex & ADA Amazonia II soil supply the fertilizer? Apparently my fissiden on the DW & BW are turning brown because I did not provide them with dope.

So what is the recommended fertilizer if dope is required?

Thanks in advance for the advice.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would say just Ada Amazonia soil without the II. For ADA soil, best person to ask is actually Thio (Biotope) which you can find him in the merchant section. You use amazonia soil for cardinal that is correct. But I have not planted fissiden so I can't comment on this, likewise same for GEX.

Some soil actually no need to add dope for 1-1.5 years or so. You still need to do the homework to consult Thio or Victor, both from Biotope.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I would say just Ada Amazonia soil without the II. For ADA soil, best person to ask is actually Thio (Biotope) which you can find him in the merchant section. You use amazonia soil for cardinal that is correct. But I have not planted fissiden so I can't comment on this, likewise same for GEX.

Some soil actually no need to add dope for 1-1.5 years or so. You still need to do the homework to consult Thio or Victor, both from Biotope.
    Okay, thanks bro.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Blue whale, just curious why you would recommend amazonia 1, instead of 2.

Cheers, Christophe

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast