Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting Adv. Needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hm...

That leads me to another question, what is the different between Amazonia I & II?

Also I tend to notice that ADA had quite a variety of Soil. Which is more suitable to my requirement?

Also I had wrote an email to Biotope requesting for advice unfortunately no reply from them. Other then contacting them via phone or visit, is there other ways?

Thanks
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Read this AQ thread regarding the differences between Amazonia I and II:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=28280

Final choice rests with you. For myself, I use GEX right now and am fairly happy with the results so far.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by desiderata View Post
    Now if the Fissiden is tide on Bog Wood, does fertilizer required? Can Gex & ADA Amazonia II soil supply the fertilizer? Apparently my fissiden on the DW & BW are turning brown because I did not provide them with dope.
    Fissidens does not have "roots" as it is a moss. This is the reason you either tie it on wood or mesh. You need to feed them with liquid fertiliser.

This also means that if all you have is moss and fish, you don't actually need a substrate, perhaps a layer of gravel to make things pretty.

On the other hand, having substrate already laid down would facilitate future plantings of rooted plants.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    You use amazonia soil for cardinal that is correct.

why Amazonia more suitable for cardinals?
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy View Post
    Hm... Not sure how true, was told by Biotope that it come from Amazonia therefore in terms of specification no need much attention.

He... He... He...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Fissidens does not have "roots" as it is a moss. This is the reason you either tie it on wood or mesh. You need to feed them with liquid fertiliser.

This also means that if all you have is moss and fish, you don't actually need a substrate, perhaps a layer of gravel to make things pretty.

On the other hand, having substrate already laid down would facilitate future plantings of rooted plants.
    Hey thanks bro, for the enlightenment. Now what is the best re-commendations for liquid fertilizer.

My intention / plan is to have fissiden carpet if possible / successful / go well.

Thanks in advance.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Read this AQ thread regarding the differences between Amazonia I and II:

http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=28280

Final choice rests with you. For myself, I use GEX right now and am fairly happy with the results so far.
    Thanks Bro,

Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Since you need minimum adjustments, amazonia soil are more suitable. It creates this black water effect hence I think cardinals really settle well in it. But most cardinals we buy comes from fish farm breed, hence might not have immediate effect either.

Generally I would mimick Amazon conditions, but since I like clearer water, I would make sure the water quality is good at all time, not to the extend where you can't see the plants and fish of course. =) Been watching Amazon related flims on NatGeo few years back. Cool, they even flimed cardinals and other amazon fish together. Too bad, my knowledge now and then still isn't sufficient to id all the fishes. =P Still learning...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

not the entire amazon is blackwater.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am using Amazonia II, so I can see the blackwater effect.

Of course not, so many tributaries, usually it's not so much at the catchment area.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good day Bro,
    Been to Biotope this pm, planning to get the Cardinal. Unfortunately all sold out.

However spoken to the sales there seek their advice if I can mix Gex & Amazonia soil. Was advice not to do so as if there are problem it will be difficult to acertain where the fault is.

Also did a test on my water perimeter PH reading was 5.5 did a slight water change to made it to 7.0 with the help of some powder that I last gotten from Yishun for my Ranchu.

Gotten some Neon Tetra this evening, they seem to school around the tank. However there are still some fissiden left so I am thinking of stripping one of the DW and have it fix on mesh.

Anyway thinking of adding more Tetras to the tank, maybe I will go down to Biotope again tomorrow to purchase more.

Sincerely hope that this time round I will get the tank up by CNY.

Thanks alot for the advice & guidance, bro.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Umm...recent batches of cardinals does not look in the pinky mode. Suggest you do constant close observation. If they mati, just know it might not be your fault. BTW, how come your ph is so low? Do your water ph test once in the morning then once at night. This way, you can know the rate of change.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Umm...recent batches of cardinals does not look in the pinky mode. Suggest you do constant close observation. If they mati, just know it might not be your fault. BTW, how come your ph is so low? Do your water ph test once in the morning then once at night. This way, you can know the rate of change.
    Thanks Bro,
    Gone down to Marsiling to check out what happen, was told by the lady that it might due to the Bog Wood & Drift Wood. Which I believe so, because read through the forum latter does contribute to change in PH. However 5.5 is really too lower I believe.

I do have another 1.5 feet tank which can even go down to 3.5 and lower. Which I kept my Ranchu when they are baby.

Can't figure out what is the cause, maybe must practise regular w/c to maintain healthy.

Now I have another set of problem, that is to tide the Fissiden on the mesh. Tried his pm, gave up half way. So thinking of giving it a tr tomorrow am.

Hope that it will turn out fine.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How about taking some photo and post it up here. With Choy, Stormhawk and the rest reading, I am sure it would be easy for them to spot anything. I am still learning as I unlearn then relearn again.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How about taking some photo and post it up here. With Choy, Stormhawk and the rest reading, I am sure it would be easy for them to spot anything. I am still learning as I unlearn then relearn again.
    That is what I have intended unfortunately I do not have a digial camera on hand.

Let me see if I acan borrow one to show all what I meant.

Cheers & Thanks to all for the patient & guidance.

Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I took mine from my handphone. If your handphone comes with a camera, just need to hook up to your pc and download it from the handphone.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I took mine from my handphone. If your handphone comes with a camera, just need to hook up to your pc and download it from the handphone.
    I would sincerely love to do so as propose. However my phone do have a camera, however don't know how to use. Gadget Gundo.

And the other thing is the program, I don't have a CD Rom to down load the program. To down load the photo too.

Therefore I think the fastest way is to borrow and paste.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Depends, if your handphone is being detected as a thumbdrive, a drive letter will show up in My Computer. In this case, you will need a software to access. If your handphone is not detected as a thumbdrive, high chance you will need seperate USB driver installation cum software inorder to download it.

Choy,
    How? Did you get the Amazon book in the end? Too much scientific name for me. ^^Y I am just average joe who can't memorise so much chim chim names.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good day to all,
    Just an update, last weekend gotten 60 Tetras.

Namely: -
    25 Green Tetra
    25 Cardinal Tetra
    10 Neon Tetra

As to date: -
    20 Jan 10 / pm - 5 dead
    21 Jan 10 / am - 4 dead

Could not identify the type & cause of death as I am lack of experience. Believed that the caused if due to enviroment & external filter as I am running a 800L / Hr canister filter which may be too strong for the fish.

Had done some inprovise on the filter intake which I have fit it with a sponge on it. Also to keep all posted I am running a double filter systems.

1) Cannister Filter.
    2) Over Hanging Filter.

The first intake will run through the cannister filter and output of the cannister will then direct to the Over Hanging Filter (specially gotten from QianHu).

Shall post photo when camera are available for expert opinion.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by desiderata View Post
    Hm... Not sure how true, was told by Biotope that it come from Amazonia therefore in terms of specification no need much attention.

He... He... He...
    I thought most of the cardinal in the market is farm breed?

How big is your tank? from your 1st post it is 20", if so, your bioload is too much

By the way, when did you measure your pH? It might be due to your tank not fully cycle yet.
    Last edited by Shadow; 21st Jan 2010 at 17:43.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast