Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting Advice Needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hmm....I do not think it is due to your filters, so long you can cancel the water flow of each of the two you should get a more morderate flow. Items such as driftwood if strategically position could cancel water flow at certain areas and provide a certain santuary for the fish to take a rest. Due to the bioload as suggested by shadow, you might need more maintenance on the filters.

You might want to pay special attention to PH and Dechlorination mainly both chlorine and chloramine. If you arm yourself with Aqumedi PH minus you might be able to fine tune the water further but only for 1 day or so before the ph condition changes.

Cardinals tetras are sensitve to sharp drop in temperature and ph, without the right water conditions, your tank is going to suffer casaulties further. Given that the tetra only dies out after 1 week, it might not be disease, more like environmental issues already. I will copy the cardinal tetra data for you so that you don't have to jump around for data. I have also alter the data from about.com as the cardinals are mostly farm breeded as suggest by Shadow.

Scientific Name: Paracheirodon axelrodi
    Family: Characidae
    Origin: Brazil to Colombia, Venezuela
    Adult Size: 2 inches (5 cm)
    Social: Peaceful, suitable for community tank
    Lifespan: 4 years
    Tank Level: Top, Mid dweller
    Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallon
    Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods

Breeding: Egglayer
    Care: Intermediate
    pH: 4.6 - 7.2
    Hardness: up to 5 dGH
    Temperature: 73-81 F (23-29 C)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting Adv. Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I thought most of the cardinal in the market is farm breed?
    he is referring to the ADA Amazonia soil.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting Adv. Needed

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I thought most of the cardinal in the market is farm breed?

How big is your tank? from your 1st post it is 20", if so, your bioload is too much

By the way, when did you measure your pH? It might be due to your tank not fully cycle yet.
    Hi Shadow,
    Please be inform that I have requested to change my account from 'desiderata' to 'knight' therefore don't be shock to see someone new answering.

Back to your question, yes mine's a 20" tank. However when I first introduce the 10 Neon Tetra found that the tank is to empty. And base on my past experience before I gave up.

Tetras are very difficult in handling, therefore though that I might introduce more to compensate the casualty.

Update: -
    21-Jan-10 (PM) 8 Casualty
    22-Jan-10 (AM) 1 Casualty

Was told that the recent batch of Cardinal Tetra does encounter problems. Not sure if they are true?

Also I do have a PH Pen, however may not be accurate with it's reading. When first place into the aquarium it read 7.0 after shaking a bit it starts to drop to 6.0.

You may like to enlighten me as to how to take the PH with a PH Pen.

Thanks in advance.
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    Hmm....I do not think it is due to your filters, so long you can cancel the water flow of each of the two you should get a more morderate flow. Items such as driftwood if strategically position could cancel water flow at certain areas and provide a certain santuary for the fish to take a rest. Due to the bioload as suggested by shadow, you might need more maintenance on the filters.

You might want to pay special attention to PH and Dechlorination mainly both chlorine and chloramine. If you arm yourself with Aqumedi PH minus you might be able to fine tune the water further but only for 1 day or so before the ph condition changes.

Cardinals tetras are sensitve to sharp drop in temperature and ph, without the right water conditions, your tank is going to suffer casaulties further. Given that the tetra only dies out after 1 week, it might not be disease, more like environmental issues already. I will copy the cardinal tetra data for you so that you don't have to jump around for data. I have also alter the data from about.com as the cardinals are mostly farm breeded as suggest by Shadow.

Scientific Name: Paracheirodon axelrodi
    Family: Characidae
    Origin: Brazil to Colombia, Venezuela
    Adult Size: 2 inches (5 cm)
    Social: Peaceful, suitable for community tank
    Lifespan: 4 years
    Tank Level: Top, Mid dweller
    Minimum Tank Size: 5 gallon
    Diet: Omnivore, eats most foods

Breeding: Egglayer
    Care: Intermediate
    pH: 4.6 - 7.2
    Hardness: up to 5 dGH
    Temperature: 73-81 F (23-29 C)
    Good day Bro,
    Like you have explained earlier that recent batch of Cardinal Tetra may not be well.

Apparently I have check the Green Tetra that I have bought together with the Cardinal the Green are doing fine.

Maybe I am into green as I am still green with this fauna.

Let me see and do a further update for next few days. By then they should be stable.

Also can I know do you fish out the dead tetra's or you leave it in the tank? Becuase I notice that when I fish them out they tend to crowd / school together!

I would think that some may have die from shock.

Awaiting for professinal guidance.

Cheers
    Knight

BTW thanks for all the trouble for furnishing me with the info on Cardinal Tetra. Really appreciate your help.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Remove any dead bodies if you are not certain of the cause of death. If the fish was diseased at death and dies in the tank, the disease might pass on to the rest if they scavenge on carcass.

Fishes get shocked if you do sudden movements, knock on the glass or subject them to sudden changes in water parameters. Suddenly turning on the lights too can stress them out badly. In your case, the schooling bit is caused by their fear of your hand/net going into the tank. This is normal and should not be taken too seriously unless you noticed something is wrong with them. Note that the oils on your skin, which is natural, can affect the fish too. So rinse your hands with tapwater before you place them in the tank. Use tweezers if you can, like those planting types, to remove dead fish carefully. I find that it is much easier to use as compared to a net in a planted setting.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Remove any dead bodies if you are not certain of the cause of death. If the fish was diseased at death and dies in the tank, the disease might pass on to the rest if they scavenge on carcass.

Fishes get shocked if you do sudden movements, knock on the glass or subject them to sudden changes in water parameters. Suddenly turning on the lights too can stress them out badly. In your case, the schooling bit is caused by their fear of your hand/net going into the tank. This is normal and should not be taken too seriously unless you noticed something is wrong with them. Note that the oils on your skin, which is natural, can affect the fish too. So rinse your hands with tapwater before you place them in the tank. Use tweezers if you can, like those planting types, to remove dead fish carefully. I find that it is much easier to use as compared to a net in a planted setting.
    Good day Bro Stormhawk,
    Well noted of your good advice.

Now I have been feeding my Tetras with Frozen Daphnia & Hakari Colour Enhancement pallet.

Appareently the Tetra does not seem to eat much. Was wondering if anyone can introduce / re-commend me a more ideal food for the Tetras so that I start seeing the fishes eating happily.

Been to Biotope / Woodlands once and met Mr Vincent which he re-commended me the food. Unfortunately during my last 2 visit there I don't see it on display anymore.

Anyway shall await for re-commendations.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You can try live brine shrimp and Hikari micro pellets. I'm feeding my Celestial Danios with this product called Instant Brine Shrimp, which my other tetras will devour too. You don't need much during feeding anyway. A small drop contains a lot of the brine shrimp to feed most fish.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

DO NOT overfeed. that is the most common problem people tend to have, worrying about the fish not eating enough. feed a bit, wait till its all gone before feeding a bit more.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by knight View Post
    Good day Bro,
    Like you have explained earlier that recent batch of Cardinal Tetra may not be well.

Apparently I have check the Green Tetra that I have bought together with the Cardinal the Green are doing fine.

Maybe I am into green as I am still green with this fauna.

Let me see and do a further update for next few days. By then they should be stable.

Also can I know do you fish out the dead tetra's or you leave it in the tank? Becuase I notice that when I fish them out they tend to crowd / school together!

I would think that some may have die from shock.

Awaiting for professinal guidance.

Cheers
    Knight

BTW thanks for all the trouble for furnishing me with the info on Cardinal Tetra. Really appreciate your help.
    -.-" of course you have to fish them out, if it is really sick, the other tetra will get it very fast. You have to do this before the fish rots, if it rots, it will affect the water quality.

Dead ones don't throw, put on a white background (say newspaper), then take a closer examination for rotten fins, white spots, etc. Just to make sure there is no disease. If nearby got pasat malam, go buy a magnifying glass cheap cheap and slowly examine before you flush down the toilet.

No problem. Whether is it sick or not, you still have to learn the characteristics of the fish. I once got 100+ dead fish, compared to that, you are still not doing too bad.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

-.-" of course you have to fish them out, if it is really sick, the other tetra will get it very fast. You have to do this before the fish rots, if it rots, it will affect the water quality.

Dead ones don't throw, put on a white background (say newspaper), then take a closer examination for rotten fins, white spots, etc. Just to make sure there is no disease. If nearby got pasat malam, go buy a magnifying glass cheap cheap and slowly examine before you flush down the toilet.

No problem. Whether is it sick or not, you still have to learn the characteristics of the fish. I once got 100+ dead fish, compared to that, you are still not doing too bad.
    Noted Bro,
    And many thanks for the encouragement, seem some of dead specimen found that they are thin maybe due to lack of food.

Also maybe the filter intake is too strong. apparently I am running a 800 l/Hr external canister which is then connected to an OTTO Over Hang Filter which have compartment for more filteration.

However the output is not huge maybe is because of the input. This am found one Tetra been suck to the filter. Apparently I am using those black sponge to prevent the Tetra being suck into the filter.

Hope that the above account helps.

Also update of casualty: -
    22-Jan-10 (PM) 1
    23-Jan-10 (AM) 1

Trust that with the above account I may received more idea in proving my tank setup.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you still remember those old gadgets, a plastic funnel that stick to the side of the tank and you can put the tubifex worms in it?

If the fish are really not eating, feed tubifex during weekends, during weekdays, try to get Azoo 9 in 1, or Bao Zhen Hong both are from taiwan, and micropellets. Although they cloud the water but very minimal. Aquori brine shrimps flake is another option but they cloud the water almost immediately so you have to do water changes more frequently.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do you still remember those old gadgets, a plastic funnel that stick to the side of the tank and you can put the tubifex worms in it?

If the fish are really not eating, feed tubifex during weekends, during weekdays, try to get Azoo 9 in 1, or Bao Zhen Hong both are from taiwan, and micropellets. Although they cloud the water but very minimal. Aquori brine shrimps flake is another option but they cloud the water almost immediately so you have to do water changes more frequently.
    Thanks Bro,
    Tubiflex worms they are sold in huge quantity. Wastage are high, therefore may consider other options such as Micro Pellets.

Can advice what is AZOO 9 in 1? Where can I get this? Alternatively Hikari Micro Pellet.

Thanks in advance.
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

9-in-1.. details are on the Azoo site. It's some special diet food. As for Hikari Micro Pellet, you can get it from C328, Azoo is sold there as well. Tubifex worms are not advisable like what you mentioned. Alternatively, you can try frozen bloodworm or Mysis. For live food, you can use live daphnia/BBS or microworms, if you can find a culture that you are willing to continuously sub-culture on a regular basis.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Like I said, tubifex is an occassional treat to help those not eating. Should not be always. Leftover tubifex if still alive will also help in loosening the soil below. So actually it is quite okay. If you want to keep tubifex like my dad used to do it, you have to put an air pump and preferably you dechlorine the water so you don't get that much of death.

Azoo 9-in-1 micro pellets.
    http://www.azoo.com.tw/azoo_en/modul...Review&bkid=16

Given our location, I'd say Yishun Aqua Star trading. You can visit that place get a big serving one after work. 330ml. If you just want to try, get the 120ml the smaller one.

Under Azoo, there are numerous 9-in-1. If you are interested, you can browse
    http://www.azoo.com.tw/ (Available in English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional font)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not good to let tubifex escape into the gravel Whale. If people really want to feed tubifex, they can do this. Buy those clay plates or those plastic flower pot stands, the one that goes on the bottom. Fill it with gravel and then put the tubifex on it, or just in it, and submerge into the tank. That way the worms cannot escape into the gravel.

Thing is, even if they do survive in the gravel bed, if they happen to die, that can cause problems later on.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So far I give my fish a tubifex treat only like twice in a month. My fish cleared them off even though I put 50 cents worth (One small cup - red cup that they used on altar for tea offering).

Hmm...I actually never thought about worms dead in the gravel because I using sand. My recent 3ft which I decom, even though I dig through the sand, it was dominated by snails and algae being algae smell the most. Well, I guess that's what you get after a few years. Using worms is like 2nd to me as part of the gardening skills I accumulate when I was young.

Not to worry, my 3 bettas and the 11 scarlet badis are very good picker when it comes to task like this. Cardinals are sometimes helping to pick too. Especially when they are hungry. Knight, you see if you can pick up anything here. I have someone in the forum picking up Bao Zhen Hong after reading my post in a seperate thread, currently his cardinals is doing fine.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

So far I give my fish a tubifex treat only like twice in a month. My fish cleared them off even though I put 50 cents worth (One small cup - red cup that they used on altar for tea offering).

Hmm...I actually never thought about worms dead in the gravel because I using sand. My recent 3ft which I decom, even though I dig through the sand, it was dominated by snails and algae being algae smell the most. Well, I guess that's what you get after a few years. Using worms is like 2nd to me as part of the gardening skills I accumulate when I was young.

Not to worry, my 3 bettas and the 11 scarlet badis are very good picker when it comes to task like this. Cardinals are sometimes helping to pick too. Especially when they are hungry. Knight, you see if you can pick up anything here. I have someone in the forum picking up Bao Zhen Hong after reading my post in a seperate thread, currently his cardinals is doing fine.
    Thanks Blue Whale,
    Good a pack of Hikari 'Micro Pellet' & 20 more Baby Green Tetra last nite, now still feeding my Tetras with Daphnia. They seem to rush for it during meal time.

They should be doing fine by now. Apparently yesterday PM, one more casualty. Till now everyone seem fine. Believe they should be settle by now. Will continue to monitor and revert.

Only trouble now is to wait for the Fissiden to grow. Like you explain perviously may take about 3 months. Therefore will continue to monitor and revert too on the outcome.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Phew...stable is good, just keep up the maintenance part. This hobby really test your patience especially when you are tired from work.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Phew...stable is good, just keep up the maintenance part. This hobby really test your patience especially when you are tired from work.
    That's is what I have told my mum. Apparently she is trying to stop me with the hobbies. (Keeping Goldfish - Which demand for clean water).

Now aqua planting. Especially now when she is in the nursing home after involved in a road traffic accident. With such tide schedule visiting her immediately after work, when arrived home monitoring the fishes.

At time was thinking of giving up, but when seeing the outcome of the fruits it really pays off.

By the way thanks for the guidance all this while, bro.

Cheers
    Knight

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

When you are tired, very very tired or even weary, take out a chair. Watch the fish swim, watch the plants move under the current. That is the rewarding part. Especially aro. fish, extremely graceful. Can't forget it even though my aro. is no longer alive.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast