Country
    Singapore

Lighting Advice Needed

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Good day to all senior,
    Now I am very new into this hobbies. And understood that Light & CO2 are the major source for Aqua Planting.

Gotten myself a 20" complete set tank, and was thinking of up grading the lighting for my long desire Fissiden crave.

Would greatly appreciate someone here adv. what is the best source of Lighting? Thought of getting a PL or T5 can seen to made up my mind as yet.

Base on your experience what is the best recommendation.

Brand: Dazs, Aquazonic, Magnum II and etc.

Thanks alot.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Lighting Adv. Needed

If possible, give us the full size of your tank eg. length/width/height. What is the temperature of your water? Fissdens likes temperature of around 25-26 degrees C. Fissdens is not as CO2 or light starve like HC. Moderate amount of CO2 (1/2bps) and lighting(2wpg) is enough for US fissdens growth to take off. (base on your 20" specification )
    Last edited by eviltrain; 28th Dec 2009 at 14:04. Reason: sms lingo edited

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think T5 lighting should be enough for fissiden. Brand.. most brand are decent, just get the one that fit your budget.

For other plants, guess you will need MH lights, given your tank is quite deep..

Cheers, Christophe
    ~ Ā q u ã O b s έ Ş Ş i ŏ ŋ ~
    Once you pop, You can't Stop
    http://aquaobsession.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eviltrain View Post
    If possible, give us the full size of your tank eg. length/width/height. What is the temperature of your water? Fissdens likes temperature of around 25-26 degrees C. Fissdens is not as CO2 or light starve like HC. Moderate amount of CO2 (1/2bps) and lighting(2wpg) is enough for US fissdens growth to take off. (base on your 20" specification )
    OK, will furnish size & temperature of the tank shortly when I am home from work.

As for CO2, I have very bad experience with the cannister couple year back which put me out of this hobbies for a long while.

Now Biotope had recommended me a liquid CO2 namely Seachem Excel, am trying this product with my tank now. Do not know if it will work?

Shall revert shortly on the tank specifications.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by AquaObsession View Post
    I think T5 lighting should be enough for fissiden. Brand.. most brand are decent, just get the one that fit your budget.

For other plants, guess you will need MH lights, given your tank is quite deep..

Cheers, Christophe
    Hi Chris,
    Many thanks for the fast response, have read through the forum understood that PL emit less heat as compare to T5.

Does that mean that PL produce lesser specturm as compare to T5? Also you mention on depth, what is the recommmended height?

Also would appreciate if you can adv. where I can find aquarium lightings? Been looking at the market place, unfortunately most people are letting go of the 3' and above.

Thanks in adv.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good day to all,
    Now the specification of the setting is as follows: -

Light: FL
    Tank: 49 * 32 * around 36 or 38 cm
    Temp: 27 degree
    Soil: Gex Planting soil 2 Kg thinking of adding more
    Plant: Sole fissiden on both DW & BW

Kindly comment which is better PL or T5.

Thanks in advance.
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

based on your tank size, and plants, i would go for a 36w pl. those magnum brand should be decent enough.
    if you intend to keep glosso etc, maybe you can go for the 55w.

i used to run 2*55w pl on my tank. but i was doing daily water change and fert in abundance,just to get fastest grow.

8hr a day should be fine in you case.
    get those around 8000k, for planted i would not go beyond 10000k

cheers,christophe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

based on your tank size, and plants, i would go for a 36w pl. those magnum brand should be decent enough.
    if you intend to keep glosso etc, maybe you can go for the 55w.

i used to run 2*55w pl on my tank. but i was doing daily water change and fert in abundance,just to get fastest grow.

8hr a day should be fine in you case.
    get those around 8000k, for planted i would not go beyond 10000k

cheers,christophe
    Thanks Bro,
    Been reading through the forum lately found that people are talking about led?

Is it visiable?

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I have not used led myself. I have used FL, PL, T5 and MH lights.
    Fancy lights is not something that I care personally. As long as soemthing within my budget can do the job, I use it. I am learning everyday and experimenting.

I settle for the best my budget can get me. My advice is.. if you are new to the hobby, and you have a normal budget, get the normal stuff, and focus on getting things work.

You may well start with Led lights, if this give you good results, you should pursue further. If not, you can always change to T5 or PL lights.

Colorful Aquarium has FL lighting in most of his tanks, NA has PL. Others has MH.

At home, I have T5 for my 3 feet planted, MH lights for my 4 feet, and PL for my nano.

Cheers, Christophe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I have not used led myself. I have used FL, PL, T5 and MH lights.
    Fancy lights is not something that I care personally. As long as soemthing within my budget can do the job, I use it. I am learning everyday and experimenting.

I settle for the best my budget can get me. My advice is.. if you are new to the hobby, and you have a normal budget, get the normal stuff, and focus on getting things work.

You may well start with Led lights, if this give you good results, you should pursue further. If not, you can always change to T5 or PL lights.

Colorful Aquarium has FL lighting in most of his tanks, NA has PL. Others has MH.

At home, I have T5 for my 3 feet planted, MH lights for my 4 feet, and PL for my nano.

Cheers, Christophe
    Thanks Bro,
    Just though of DIY, after setting up the tank.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

LED is viable if you have a small tank, and don't mind doing some DIY. I think NA has some LED light sets for sale. The problem with LEDs, if you are using High Output, like what ervinelin did in his Semi High-Tech Nano Tank thread, is the cost might be prohibitive as you go into larger light sets.

I would go with what AquaObsession suggested. Just use an FL light, or upgrade to PL/T5 if you feel the light is not adequate to you.

At home, my 1ft has FL, 2 ft uses PL and my 4ft is on T5 tubes. So far so good.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Waldo, would appreciate if you can start your own thread. Given you a warning infraction and a friendly reminder.

Moderator please shift this to another thread.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Daniel.

If you are JUST going to grow US fissidens ONLY.. you don't need to spend all this money... nor would you need all this light stuff...or excel.. or whatever.

All US fissidens needs is cold water. IF you can get your water between 24 to 26 degrees.. it will grow beautifully!

i have them growing in a standard 2 feet tank... my lights is PL 24watts...for 9 hours. i Hardly even dose this tank with ANYTHING...basically left neglected. If anything, i dose it lightly once in 2 months. Fish and feeding will help. i feed my fishes once in 4 days. hahaha.. and the fissidens still thrives. So what do you think this plant needs?

If however, you want it to grow FAST.. then its a different story. So do you want it to grow fast or just grow?
    i ask this because once you introduce CO2 and high lights...the ball game changes from lawn putting to full fledged soccer game. Its a whole different ball game. So if you just want to take it easy and play lawn golf..why get a soccer pitch?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    LED is viable if you have a small tank, and don't mind doing some DIY. I think NA has some LED light sets for sale. The problem with LEDs, if you are using High Output, like what ervinelin did in his Semi High-Tech Nano Tank thread, is the cost might be prohibitive as you go into larger light sets.

I would go with what AquaObsession suggested. Just use an FL light, or upgrade to PL/T5 if you feel the light is not adequate to you.

At home, my 1ft has FL, 2 ft uses PL and my 4ft is on T5 tubes. So far so good.
    Hi Storm,
    Many thanks for the adv. message well noted.

Now how to change the hook FL lighting into a PL or T5? Been to electrical shop at my place, Woodlands. Was told that they do not do conversion.

Also the adv. how do I find out the wattage for the hook? Try locating in on the hook but fail.

Once again, many thanks bro.

Daniel

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ranmasatome View Post
    Daniel.

If you are JUST going to grow US fissidens ONLY.. you don't need to spend all this money... nor would you need all this light stuff...or excel.. or whatever.

All US fissidens needs is cold water. IF you can get your water between 24 to 26 degrees.. it will grow beautifully!

i have them growing in a standard 2 feet tank... my lights is PL 24watts...for 9 hours. i Hardly even dose this tank with ANYTHING...basically left neglected. If anything, i dose it lightly once in 2 months. Fish and feeding will help. i feed my fishes once in 4 days. hahaha.. and the fissidens still thrives. So what do you think this plant needs?

If however, you want it to grow FAST.. then its a different story. So do you want it to grow fast or just grow?
    i ask this because once you introduce CO2 and high lights...the ball game changes from lawn putting to full fledged soccer game. Its a whole different ball game. So if you just want to take it easy and play lawn golf..why get a soccer pitch?

Please pardon me bro,
    So sorry for being lengthy, maybe I have not read enough about low tech planting.

Now allow me to explain the whole scenario, its been a few year since I wanted to start with Aqua Planting.

However I decided to stop after i purchase the CO2. Because during testing, the CO2 tube exploded in front of me twice. Shortly after the incident 1 sold off the set and started with those powder CO2.

Unfortunately the result wasn't fantastic. So it put me off.

Now recently I came across some article by Bro EvolutionZ that no CO2 is required for Fissiden. Therefore though of giving it a try.

Nevertheless the result I got was unfavourable, therefore had been to Biotope. Explain a bit to the sale person was told that I can try Seachem Excel, it may help me. So been to Y618 to get a bottle.

My priority objective is to go for Low Tech, however due to my lack of knowledge Semi Low Tech also can do.

I just don't want to fail this time round and only come back after couple year again. Would appreciate if you can guide me through the basic stage with thanks.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

hi there daniel

It is better to get easy to use products rather than DIY, particularly with electricity.
    I guess when we can convert to T5 etc, we are simply saying, buy a new set (or a used one).
    A 2 feet magnumII 36/55w should be around $30-$40. That is for PL lights.
    FL lights, depending on the brand, should be cheaper.

A good guidance, in my opinion, would be
    With your 2 feet tank, get a 36/55 watts PL lights, around 7500-8000K.
    Have a small fan.
    Get a good filter. Cannister would be better. In fact filter is also alright, if you can hide it. (but since you might need to remove it for maintenance, it might destroy your scape)
    Try keep the temperature around 26 degrees.
    Do not fert frequently.

Leave the tank alone for 1-3 months.

I guess that is what ranmasatome, stormhawk and myself were describing above.

Explain what you mean by the results were not favourable. You mean plant growth, or plant grow rate? What was your tank temperature? what was your lighting?

Cheers, Christophe

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi there daniel

It is better to get easy to use products rather than DIY, particularly with electricity.
    I guess when we can convert to T5 etc, we are simply saying, buy a new set (or a used one).
    A 2 feet magnumII 36/55w should be around $30-$40. That is for PL lights.
    FL lights, depending on the brand, should be cheaper.

A good guidance, in my opinion, would be
    With your 2 feet tank, get a 36/55 watts PL lights, around 7500-8000K.
    Have a small fan.
    Get a good filter. Cannister would be better. In fact filter is also alright, if you can hide it. (but since you might need to remove it for maintenance, it might destroy your scape)
    Try keep the temperature around 26 degrees.
    Do not fert frequently.

Leave the tank alone for 1-3 months.

I guess that is what ranmasatome, stormhawk and myself were describing above.

Explain what you mean by the results were not favourable. You mean plant growth, or plant grow rate? What was your tank temperature? what was your lighting?

Cheers, Christophe
    Hi Christophe,
    My apologies, unfavour was: -
    The last time I had plan for Christmas Moss. Fabricate it into a Christmas Tree. Unfortunate lack of experience the plant all turn brown. So gave up the first time.

Also the CO2 was a hussle, messy & stinks.

Now with adavncement in Technologies, like Seachem Excel - Carbon Dioxide will be less hussle for me.

As I am still in the preparation stage, fixing up the fissiden on the BW & DW.

Thinking of adding 50L Cardinal Tetra, some shrimp into the community.

Now the tank is running on FL at photoperiod from 0600 Hrs to 0900 Hrs & subsequently from 1800 Hrs to 0000 Hrs on timer.

Apparently the temperature of the half fill tank is running at 27 degree. If as per your suggestion of running the tank at 26 degree, maybe I need to purchase a Tornado Fan.

Shall await your favourable guidance.

Cheers
    Daniel
    Last edited by knight; 30th Dec 2009 at 14:59.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

DIY CO2 is fairly easy to handle actually.

But like what ranma said, all that Fissidens really needs is cool water. As for the DIY part with lights, you can easily convert an FL light set to PL. All you need is a proper e-ballast, some wires and the bulb that you wish to use. I DIY-ed my first PL set following instructions on one of the forums. It lasted me for a year before it went kaput.

You are better off buying a ready-made PL/FL light set from a reliable brand like Arcadia.

As for the Xmas moss turning brown.. haha I've went through that as well. If you really want an easy to grow moss, just buy Java Moss or Singapore Moss. No need for fancy equipments, and they will still grow with little attention required.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    DIY CO2 is fairly easy to handle actually.

But like what ranma said, all that Fissidens really needs is cool water. As for the DIY part with lights, you can easily convert an FL light set to PL. All you need is a proper e-ballast, some wires and the bulb that you wish to use. I DIY-ed my first PL set following instructions on one of the forums. It lasted me for a year before it went kaput.

You are better off buying a ready-made PL/FL light set from a reliable brand like Arcadia.

As for the Xmas moss turning brown.. haha I've went through that as well. If you really want an easy to grow moss, just buy Java Moss or Singapore Moss. No need for fancy equipments, and they will still grow with little attention required.
    Thanks Bro,
    Actually gotten a DW during then, it have a shape of a Christmas Tree.

Thought of given a trial on Christmas Moss and create an under water Christmas.

Ha... Ha... Ha... that's where I gotten all the equipment, however things turn bad.

Firstly the CO2 tube explored in front of a couple of time. Decided to go for powder CO2, wah... only place that I know where I can get the powder is at Yishun.

Finally gave up till I visited Biotope in Woodlands where they introduce me Seachem Excel.

Thought of giving it a trial again.

However as for the lighting, hm... may give it a trial during coming Chinese New Year. Otherwise boring staying at home for the season.

Cheers
    Daniel

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

IF you have so much problem with Co2... then..... why you insist on using co2?? be it liquid, powder, canister.. why still use it? The plants you choose don't need it what. What is the function of Co2 in a tank?

If you're saying you want to try a tank with excel...then okay...its not about growing fissidens anymore. Its about, what works in a tank with excel.

Fissidens works with or without co2. which you want? with excel method?
    If with excel, can also. It will just grow a bit faster loh.
    Also your fish... your tank is how big? why you want to put 50L cardinals inside? and shrimp also? Don't do this to yourself or the fish, it crowds your tank, the fish won't be too happy and it makes growing the plants so much more complicated. Cut your fish down to about 20. That should work alright for a 2ft tank. For a light i wouldn't go 55w myself, go with something less like a 36...that is if you're going pl.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast