Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: 2 Algae eaters

Feedback Score

2 Algae eaters

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I know this subject has been touched before, but I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in keeping either the Butterfly Goodied (Ameca Splendens) or the American Flag Fish. I am very interested if anyone has some first hand knowlege of their algae eating abilities, and whether there is any issues about keeping these fish with certain plants such as Riccia. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Hi,

Personally I've not tried the Ameca Splendens before therefore couldn't advise any. But rather the latter FFF (Florida Flag Fish) which you've posed could be kept with your plants. But they get pretty aggressive once there're aquainted in the tank and would breed out of hand if you're not careful. I have yet to come across any local import yet but have since advise Rainbow to bring them in, but there was no advise since 2 months back. My last experince with these fish was from a LFS in malaysia in 2000 for my 4 footer then. They do control certain algae well but I've made a mistake of dumping too many inside (8 ea). Therefore, please be very careful as I have a hard time scooping them out of the tank when the demography gets out of control....where harassing of other fishes starts to bother the community tank.

Hopes it help.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the advise. I think the AFF is too aggressive for my tank.