Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

[ask] which shops sell tropica plant

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi i was wondering which shops sell plant from Tropica.dk?

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: [ask] which shops sell tropica plant

There is no more agent in Singapore.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Tell you secret... some of Tropica's plants are grown in Singapore and shipped to Europe for packaging. So why pay return air ticket for the plant when you can get the same plant cheaper in Singapore. As far as I know, there is one plant farm in Singapore supplying to Tropica.

Other questions you may have:
    - No, you cannot get the plants from that farm. They do not do retail nor supply local shops.
    - No, you cannot visit the farm. Well... not on a whim. I understand that it is extremely difficult to even get an official tour of the farm for hobbyist organisation. The last time there was a farm tour for hobbyists, was many years ago, before AQ was around. I heard that it was so strict that you could not even bring home a plant you picked up on the ground (not uproot, just pick up a plant that was dropped during harvesting).

(Come to think of it, maybe it's time AQ organises one?)

I have to admit though, that I've not kept up with the news on this, so I'm not sure if this is still true. Maybe someone else can confirm.

There are some among us who are willing to pay the price on the assumption that plants by Tropica are healthier and will grow better. Personally, does not make sense to me. Maybe better genes perhaps, but I don't think there is much difference.

Any plant that is grown in Singapore for Tropica, is available in our local shops, if not in-shop, at least by order (the shop will order from other local sources). If you are looking for a Tropica plant not available locally, than it was probably not grown in the farm here.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

May I spill the beans ?? haha..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Indonesia

@vinz and barmby

thanks for the answer, my opinion I have compare plants that I got from singapore local shop than the one that tropica have.
    In my opinion tropica has a better look condition for ex anubias coffeefolia and crinum calamistratum. They both has a wider leaves.
    I was looking for far east aquatic last month but i just realise that the shop were not there anymore.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I think there are reasons aside from genetics or plant conditioning to buy tropica.

The ease of ordering and the assurance of receiving the actual species you order, the consistency in quality of the product, the regular availability of a speicies.

This becomes especially important when you are trying to add plants to large scapes, or to replace plants that have somehow gotten damaged or eaten in larger scapes.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Why would you wanna get "Tropica" Aquatic Plants in Sg? You should be able to get as good quality from local Sg LFS.
    There are shops like Colourful Aquarium and Bioplast which provide aquatic plants of excellent quality. Check them out.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I remember many years back (around 6-8yrs) there was a shop near Punggol Nasi Lemak (along Upper Serangoon Road) that used to sell Tropica Plants.

Very beautiful from what I remember, each plant even came with a little tag describing it's requirements and so on.

But I think that shop is no more...

Feedback Score
    61 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Ah soon's sister - Karin. Simon Road. Yes, no more

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think need insiders for the farm visit.
    6 years back when I started, I knew someone who carries big plastic bags of plants off from that farm. He was already carrying golden nanas, nana petite, for like $3 a plant. Tropica is famous for these nana varients.
    Cheers,
    Andrew