Thread: Trimming Vallisneria

Feedback Score

Trimming Vallisneria

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi guys,
    Appreciate some advice on how to trim Vals. They are gettintting really unruly and blocking light. Do i trim from the base? But most of the leaves are abt he same length and the remaining ones are few. Afraid I might inadvertently kill it. Any tips?
    Thanx.
    "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are not winners, but all are losers."
    Neville Chamberlain 1869 - 1940

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Hello fishboyi also have some vallisneria along the back of my tank and they also block out light. However i just snip off the tops. After a few days they will grow again. []

Btw i'm not sure if thats the right way to trim it. Its just my own method...
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Plants That Produce Runners

In very dense tufts of plants formed by Vallisneria

* As a preventive measure, pull out old plants and weaker young plants from time to time so that the plant stock is rejuvenated.

* Because the offsets don't grow singly, but form entire chains, you will usually pull out several at once. If this creates excessively large gaps, you can replant some of these plants.

* When pulling out old plants, proceed very carefully. Torn off parts of roots may remain in the ground, rot, and affect the young plants all around them. Ugly holes in the matt would be the result.

* It is oftern preferable to remove extremely entangled groupings altogether, pick out the most vigorous young plants, and set them anew.

Extracted from Pauls Aquatic Plants website...A good site for planting techniques as well as prunning. []
    Plant Physiology by Taiz and Zeiger

Feedback Score
    Hey Thanx guys. Ah yes I suspected that. Hmm Sigh Ok will now delve into the dense jungle of my tank to identify the runners.
    "In war, whichever side may call itself the victor, there are not winners, but all are losers."
    Neville Chamberlain 1869 - 1940

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/7/2003 4:14:02 PM

Hi guys,
    Appreciate some advice on how to trim Vals. They are gettintting really unruly and blocking light. Do i trim from the base? But most of the leaves are abt he same length and the remaining ones are few. Afraid I might inadvertently kill it. Any tips?
    Thanx.
    ----------------
    Wish I had your problem.
    My Corkscrew Val melts in my tanks or remain short.
    koah fong
    Juggler's tanks

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/7/2003 9:21:05 PM
    * When pulling out old plants, proceed very carefully. Torn off parts of roots may remain in the ground, rot, and affect the young plants all around them. Ugly holes in the matt would be the result.
    ----------------
    Torn off roots... Is it really bad. Whenever I rescape, uprooting plant is a inevitable. Root tends to get torn off, no matter how careful I do it! If this is the case, how much with this affect the plant growth?

Anyway way to reduce the effect? I heard of undergravel heater... Or some other fert like "Root Monster"
    Baby Steel!