Images
    Country
    Singapore

Xiphophorus helleri aka Swordtail

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Always love swordtail since I am little in primary school, By chance saw this beautiful species with really big fins and red eyes, can't resist and bought myself a pair of it, anyone manage to produce fries from it?

Just got it for a day, so far the male hasn't harress the female yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Xiphophorus helleri aka Swordtail

Quote Originally Posted by phuakokhong View Post
    Always love swordtail since I am little in primary school, By chance saw this beautiful species with really big fins and red eyes, can't resist and bought myself a pair of it, anyone manage to produce fries from it?

Hi. Can share where you bought from and what is cost like?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

There should be stock in C328.
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

This is a nice one! But, can they be bred? There's few occasion where i bought and it didnt even give birth to one fry..

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Saw them at Yishun Aquastar sold in pairs, not sure if they reproduce...

phuakokhong, let us know soon !

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

yes, its from C328, price a few red notes. The pair is healthy and happy so far in a 1 feet cube tank. Waiting for the male to harress the female, no sign of it yet!

But at least the red colour on it to me resemble auspicious, like a pair of red phoenix ushering a new year!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

The fish in the picture is a cross between the swordtail and one of the high-fin platy strains. The real swordtail has a shorter dorsal fin and longer more streamlined body form. That might explain why you might have difficulty getting fry from them, if this strain has fertility issues. Or that female in the picture is starting to change sex. This is common in some livebearers, especially swordtail and platy. I noticed her anal fin is pointed.

Nice fish though.

I'm still looking for the swordtail strains I saw as a child. Something like this:

Pic from www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com. The swordtail I remember, had a yellow and black sword.

And this form:

Green swordtail. Picture from www.dpi.nsw.gov.au
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yea! nice fishes. albinos right? i saw C328 auntie pack their fries in a bag when 1 of de female gave birth in a bag.maybe ask her lo

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the info stormhawk. Did just read about all young swordtails in fact are female, and possible to see sex changes and then developing the long tail. Just curious, if this is the case, will the gonopodium also appear?

My male is "very active" since last night. I think my female didnt get a good sleep! Harressment whole night and day!
    Last edited by phuakokhong; 8th Jan 2010 at 09:08.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yes the gonopodium will form when a female changes sex to male, but fertility is lower I think. Haha you better keep an eye out on them. Sometimes the female die from too much harassment. Maybe if you want better luck, get another male. Almost always makes them work twice as hard to make the female pregnant.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Im looking for that green swordtails too! It is hard to find nowadays, when few years back, it was common in LFS.

The green swordtail i've found recently were this:

I bred some of them and the young are actually gray. Let me grow them up and see how the coloration change.

Wow.. female give birth inside the bag? i would tapao that straight if im there... hehehe

Swordtail change sex are quite common. Even the wild strains does that. Some of my Montezumae was supposingly females as it is huge and fat. But few weeks later, the sword starts to come out and the gonopodium forming... She was at 6 months old, with total length of 3 inch.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nice swords, but yes, very hard to find the green and the usual red one nowadays. Almost always I see lyretail swordtails with the males having those extra long gonopodium.. then they cannot breed successfully..

Nice to know you have monties up north. I haven't seen one here yet.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

Penang here still can get the normal red one, while the lyretail breeding can be achieve using normal male. The lyretail gene is dominant if im not mistaken, so.. any males can do, as long as it had short gonopodium.

Yeah, i think im the only one having monties right now.. haha.. i got a colony of 30+ swimming in my cement pond. Still waiting for them to mature and start produce some fries..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

harnsheng, regarding to the picture of the green male swordtail, is the gonopodium consider on the long side or short side? Actually why is it a short gonopodium is better?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Malaysia

It's consider short.

Long gonopodium cannot function properly, cant inseminate the female due to too long... that male cant even aim properly... LOL

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks! then my male red hi-fin swordtail is not consider long! And hopefully got good news in weeks to come!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by huhengyi1986 View Post
    yea! nice fishes. albinos right? i saw C328 auntie pack their fries in a bag when 1 of de female gave birth in a bag.maybe ask her lo
    what do you mean albinos? if you are referring to the beige coloured swordtails, those are actually the wild coloration.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Bros,

I bred Swordtails years ago too.
    Ever noticed that when the fries reach adulthood, they will never be as big as their parent? Seems like each generation is smaller in size than the previous one.

Years ago too, I went to one of the Jalan Kayu fish-shop and saw that it was selling Swordtails. The size is normal as those you will find in most LFS. Then I saw the breeding pair, twice as big and the colour is so intense! Tried buying from the owner but was unsuccessful.

Bought discus instead
    Warning: All posts are based on personal experience with no creditable validation whatsoever...

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If the swordtails you are breeding, has had platy genes in its genetic makeup, in many cases the subsequent offspring can get shorter in body size, especially if they are bred brother to sister or parent to offspring without any out-crossing to other swordtails that don't have the platy genes.

Long gonopodium like those lyretail swordtail strains, will be unable to breed successfully. That is why some commercial breeders (farms etc.) retain the males that have normal gonopodiums in some batches of fry, and sell off the rest since they are incapable of inseminating the females. Sometimes they'll resort to artificial insemination.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by phuakokhong View Post

yup, can be breed through

CHeers..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast