Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

SAE n Java moss fight!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I read from other website saying that SAE will destroy Java moss, here the statement from original writer:

IME growing mosses in various tanks, SAE always munch on them until only the stem (can i call it stem, hmm) is left. So you get a cluster of 'strings', if u get what i mean. But if you have a lot of moss, good growth rate, regular fish feeding, then you probably can avoid this situation. For me, 4 SAE stringed my moss in a 3ft and 2 did it in my 1.5ft. Maybe reduce the number u have. Yamatoes seems to be a better choice.

After i removed the SAE, i noticed the moss growing nicer, into a lesser triangular shape. SAE never stops munching, and they esp like the soft tiny leaves of mosses.

Anyway, they are there to eat up algae that you cannot see with your naked eyes. Shrimps or SAE, they totally useless when u get algae outbreak.

A little BBA is unavoidable, safe as long as parameters are under control. An outbreak happens when there is an unbalance. So i rather take more care of the water then risking this fishes stringing my moss.

Feedback Score
    prevention is better then cure I suppose.
    I read somewhere from someone's experience that SAEs munched on the fine leaves of mayaca flutivas(?) till their bare nodes are all thats left, but mine dosen't seem to touch them(M.flutivas(?)), or any plants for that matter.
    #nicholas
    Web Album

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    happystar, thats written by me. I am not saying that SAE will destroy java moss. Its just what i observed in my tanks.

anyway, even if fed heavily, SAE is still, always munching away.

IME = [In my experiences]
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    sio ti kah li kong hor.......

There's a reason hobbyists are constantly reporting different experiences with the SAEs in their tanks. It's got something to do with age.

As far as I know,

1. Adult SAEs will eat Christmas Moss but not Black Brush Algae.
    2. Juvenile SAEs (if hungry) will eat Black Brush Algae (only new growth) but not Christmas Moss.
    3. All SAEs, juvenile or otherwise, will first eat fish food if fish food is available.

Loh K L

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore
    yupz, agree with uncle timebomb.

i have both adult and juvenile SAE in my tank, juvenile still very good and when first introduce they only munch algae, but they have since acquired a taste of bloodworms!!! but they still will munch here and there on plants because not much algae for them...

adult one, forever lying on hairgrass like sun-bathing doing nothing but waiting for fish food...
    ----------------------------

do not do to others what you will not want done to you!

be kind! =)

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    but they still will munch here and there on plants because not much algae for them...
    ----------------
    sounds like a problem some people wouldn't mind having at all! [:]
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    i think without SAE, javamoss can grow to a nicer shape. With them, its unavoidable for patches of 'strings'.

I agree with timebomb. Well, seems like SAE is afterall, quite useless huh?
    人的一生﹐ 全靠奮斗﹐ 唯有奮斗﹐ 才能成功