Images
    Country
    Singapore

Exclamation Demise of Newly-Introduced Sakuras

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Let me first start by stating that I've read the sticky threads on how to introduce new shrimps into a mature tank. I am hoping that Bros here could enlighten me further the cause(s) of my problem.

I am not new to having cherry, Malayan and Yamato shrimp-keeping. However, I am puzzled why I fail in several attempts to keep my Sakura shrimps going. They just could not survive for >24 hours!

The specifications of my tank are as follows, perhaps this could shed more light on my problem:

Tank details: 1.5 feet acrylic, 24W PL light, sponge filter, Sudo sand with nana-tied driftwoods, clutch of java moss and 2 ketapong leaves; Temperature: 27 degree celcius; PH: unknown.

My method of introducing new shrimps: place bag floating for at least an hour, followed by 2-3 plastic spoonful of tank water every hour, till water in the bag is almost full (which will tilt and submerge, and I just wait till all shrimps have gotten out of bag).

Mine is a mature tank (>3 months, previously kept C Pygmaeus).

Looking forward to Bros' advice here. Thanks in advance.
    Rob
    "Natura non facit saltum"

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Demise of Newly-Introduced Sakuras

wow yours is a special case, if you're able to keep cherry alive i don't see any problem keeping sakura alive. cause sakura is as hardy as cherry both are the same, just that different grade. hmm, maybe is sudden change of temperature or the sakura shrimp is already weak when you bought them

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure but I thought Cherry and Sakuras belong to the same Neocaridina family. Perhaps it is the temperature of the tank water (on a high side?). I forgot to add that there are a couple of C Pygmaeus and otocinclus currently in tank. I use the same method of conditioning the new fish before and there were no fatalities. Why? Why? Why?
    Rob

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yup I guess most of us have problem with CRS, Sakura should not a major concern for people that are able to keep Cherry and yamato. My guess would be the source that you bought. The shrimp might already been weak before introducing.

But it would be better if you can post a picture of your tank for better understanding.

goody992828

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

yup, they belong to the same family, just that sakura is a higher grade name for it. just like C grade crs, B grade crs, even though they're different grade they belong to the same family too. hmm i would say your tank water temperature is not on the high side it's suitable for sakura shrimps. btw are there any shrimps in your tank now?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

(1) There is a possibility that the shrimps I bought are already old and weak. So far I have been getting them from C328. Already spent over $50 over a period of 3 months. This time, I've noticed that the shrimps are mostly heavily-pregnant and quite huge.

(2) Previously, I've thrown in a few cherry and malayan shrimps into this tank - and same results occurred - all died one by one within 24 hour.

I have just finished reading Bro Spid's blog on his dripping method of acclimatisation. Maybe should try out this way.
    Rob

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Do update us on the result

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure if I have overlooked any other facts pertaining to the problem. For sure in my next acquisition, it would be:

(1) getting younger shrimps from other source i.e. Richard's or other forumers
    (2) introduction of a fan to run down the temperature a little, and
    (3) using the drip method of acclimatisation.
    Rob

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Puffer View Post
    I'm not sure if I have overlooked any other facts pertaining to the problem. For sure in my next acquisition, it would be:

(1) getting younger shrimps from other source i.e. Richard's or other forumers
    (2) introduction of a fan to run down the temperature a little, and
    (3) using the drip method of acclimatisation.
    i'm not sure whether it's just me:

(1)i think getting shrimps from C328 is alright, as i bought a packet of sakura few weeks back and still "kicking" haha
    (2)if the temperature of your tank doesn't fluatuate much, i don't think a fan is neccessary, if you can keep the temperature at 27 - 28 degree, however you can also introduce the fan to further bring down the temperature.
    (3) my acclimatisation method is pour the bag of shrimps into a "tau huay" container (half filled) after that add tank water every 15min until the container is full and then slowly introduce the shrimps into the tank. so far no casulty

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Did you check your water parameters?

Nana might be leeching toxin into the water column.

2 ketapang leaves in a 1.5 feet tank is alot. Your water might be on the acidic side. Is your ketanpang leave from safe source?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

check the ph of the water in the bag of the sakura.

It might be alkaline waters.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Thanks!

- I did not check the water parameters in my tank - I always assume that stability is the key so long as I don't do major water change or alter the substrate or adding chemicals etc. I should be wrong here. I have better check.

- I didn't know that nanas can leak toxins. I've read and seen many shrimp-keepers with nanas in their tanks?

- I shredded the ketapang leaves. I picked them myself but I washed them before introducing into the tank. No issue before (I am still doing so for my other tank with cherry and malayans).

- Checking the ph water in the bag is a good point I overlooked. There may be a big gap of difference between lfs water and mine. You could be very right. I will bear this in mind.
    Rob

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anubias grown in farms that use some sort of pesticide or chemicals CAN kill shrimps and fish... though cases are rare, it's best to quarantine your plants as well before placing into your tank. Use something tough as a test subject, maybe a pond snail or MTS. If the snail dies in QT tank with the Anubias, then your plant must have pesticide residue.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by stormhawk View Post
    Anubias grown in farms that use some sort of pesticide or chemicals CAN kill shrimps and fish... though cases are rare, it's best to quarantine your plants as well before placing into your tank. Use something tough as a test subject, maybe a pond snail or MTS. If the snail dies in QT tank with the Anubias, then your plant must have pesticide residue.
    Many thanks for the inputs. I am quite sure my Anubias have no pesticide residue as they are transferred from my other tank. Also in this tank, there are a couple of otocinclus affinis which are still alive and kicking.

I got another back of 5 Sakuras and with proper acclimatisation using the drip method over 2 days, the Sakuras still went to Heaven. Could it be the Sudo sand? Or perhaps the ph swing or ammonia spike? I will shut down the tank with a complete overhaul of substrate to ADA soil.
    Rob