Country
    Singapore

Recommendation for Canister filter

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi all,

I would like to have recommendation for canister filter but i have some of the following criterial. My outdoor setup is about 60L of water.

1. Active input pump. most of the Canister filter i saw as passive input pump and active output pump. You need to place the canister filter lower than the tank for this to work. My outdoor setup does not allow the filter to go lower than the "tank"

2. max water head needs to be about 1.6 to 2m. I run the output through a external UV sterialiser. and pump up the water to about 1m water feature. thus the extra 1.6m to 2m extra clearance due to resistance. Alternaive is for the canister to have internal UV.

3. dimension. cannot be too big. I prefer width and broad not more than 20 cm. Height should be no issue, preferable can be put in the water, need not be fully submerged.

I been searching through internet but came across limited selection.

Does the Classic Eheim canister filter fit the requirement. I saw that the input valve is at the bottom. So can i put the canister in the tank? the tank is only 18cm height of water, so the output pump is above the water level. would it be able to pump the water?

hope to get some advice.
    Last edited by bossteck; 13th Jan 2010 at 16:23. Reason: sms lingo

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recommendation for Canister filter

bro, you can try using a cheap canister from atman/jebo/etc and drive it using an eheim external pump e.g. 1262. you can then place the pump INSIDE the setup and the canister outside the setup.

the flow rate will be strong enough to drive water out of the setup, into the canister for filtration, and then out the filter into the UV and up your water feature. the hmax of the pump if it is too strong, can be adjusted using a ball valve so you get enough flow rate for your needs.

p.s. remove the impeller from your canister if it is driven by an external pump.

OR

you can get a pond filter e.g. Sera koi pond filters. these filters allow you to place them outside and above the pond setup, but could be costly.
    Yecch!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thanks for the info. might work as i currently already have 2 internal pump. issue is i do not want to add so many equipment to my tank. hoping to get a 1 stop solution.

if i can have a canister filter to replace my current pump and UV setup, its the most perfect. problem is the active input pump and dimension i guess.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

if i use the above recommendation, i should try a pre-filter? or the flow rate will be heavily affect, cause i need the max water height. pre-filter are passive right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can try getting a ehiem powerhead and place in the main body of water for the active input, use a canister from ehiem for the media and connect the passive output to your require height.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

another alternative i just found is to use JBJ Submariner UV Sterilizer.
    http://www.fishsupply.com/jbjsuuvstpa.html

i will use the existing pump to pump my fountain and make use og my existing T-join to create internal flow as my pump is very power for the tank size.

only issue i have here is the filter media. its only using a pre-filter sponge. is it good enough for a tank of 7 gold fish (2 to 3 inches).

any bros has any experience using this JBJ Submarine UV Sterilizer or knows of equivalent product that has better filter media capability
    Last edited by Kim Yong; 13th Jan 2010 at 16:26.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

if the external pump is too strong for the external canister, will it cause damage to the canister?

my current 2 pump are 15W and 22W. the 22W is definitely capably of max head of 2M, and i think it will be far to power for the canister input. the 15W is about 1.3M head height, and i think its quite power as well.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

If you require a canister filter that can filter your setup at the same base level, then go for the Eden 501. It is required to be placed at the same level as the tank, in your case outdoor set-up anyway. It is a passive input canister, but works fine for a 60 liter tank as per the details on their site. The 501 was designed for turtle tanks with a shallow depth but it should work perfectly for your outdoor setup.

You can run 2 of them , with one specifically empty just to power your UV sterilizer if necessary, or utilise one of your existing internal pumps for the UV. I cannot find the info regarding the max. water head of the Eden 501, but the flow rate given is 300 l/h. Dimensions are length x width x height --> 15 cm x 9 cm x 16.5 cm.

Read this:
    http://www.edensrl.com/swf/eng/schede/501.htm

Instruction manual here:
    http://www.edensrl.com/images/istruz/501.pdf

I think the price for this Eden 501 at almost all the LFS is $50. It comes with pre-packaged filter media, but you can switch it out for other media if you wish.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 13th Jan 2010 at 16:39.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thanks stormhawk. base on the pump being 5W, i doubt it can have any head height, thus need to be on same base as the tank.

been researching and reading all brother feedback.

current issue.
    1. need to have UV. outdoor water feature without UV will have green waters in 2 days. My UV has been setup for 1 month and have eliminated all green water till now. So its a must to have.

narrowed to 3 options. (pls feel freed to give more options)
    Option 1. Use my current pump to drive my UV and water fall + "pre-filter" box. or add a Eden 501 (or equivalent). This setup will be mess and seeing alot of pipes and reuipment in my current pool which is only a 2ft by 2ft (18cm height)

Option 2. use my current pump and pump to an external canister filter (with UV) and output capable of pumping up to 1.3m head height. (not sure if there is such powerful filter)

Option 3. use JBJ Submariner UV Sterilizer if the filter capability is ok. but i read its more of a sterilizer than filter.

above options, the filter should not be bigger than 20cm by 20cm, height should not be a issue.

by the way, can external canister filter be placed in water, as long as the motor portion is above water?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Nope you shouldn't place the canister in the water. I don't remember seeing a canister filter with a UV attachment though. You can use the Eden 501 as the filter, and get that internal UV filter thing so you can hide it within the pool.

I remember seeing an internal UV "filter" by Jebo or Jebao as well. Alternatively, you can try and incorporate the UV lamp into the Eden 501's output and see how it goes. If not just go with the internal self-powered version.
    Last edited by stormhawk; 14th Jan 2010 at 00:36.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

thanks to all the advic. just got a Eden 501 + UVC with sponge filter.

redo my whole tank, now backaching.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Backaches are worth it if the eventual result is what you need.

I hope the set up is working for you.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

backaching cause i have to remove a 40+kg granite column. getting rid of it in my setup

looks clean and cool now. will try and put up some pics for comment