Images
    Country
    Singapore

Anti-Chlorine, "Removes heavy metal" questions

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    When the label on my bottle of anti-chlorine says "remove heavy metals", what does it actually do? Will it react with trace elements added for the plants? What conversion is taking place here?

How about the chlorine and chloramine? What do they convert into?

I am currently using TetraAqua's AquaSafe NH/Cl Formula, which removes chlorine and chloramine, no mention of removing heavy metals.

Any recommendations for other anti-chlorine solutions?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anti-Chlorine, "Removes heavy metal" questions

It is possible that the anti-chlorine's ingredients might react with the trace elements you add for the plants. To me, the "removal part" is probably turning the metals into less lethal forms via some chemical reaction. I don't think that aspect is necessary for us here in Singapore, since our tap water probably has little or small amounts of such metals, which in some cases is necessary for the livestock and plants in the tank.

http://www.pub.gov.sg/general/Pages/WaterTreatment.aspx

Read the table in the link for the concentration of certain "metals" in our water.

Read this link for info regarding the neutralisation of chlorine and chloramine:
    http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-tapwater.html

Basically chlorine is neutralised by the reaction with sodium thiosulfate in commercial dechlorinators plus aeration in the tank, and the chloramines are broken down into chlorine (neutralised by sodium thiosulfate) and ammonia. The dechlorinators that state that they remove chloramine, just basically breaks down the ammonia part into nitrates I think.

Tetra AquaSafe is fairly good, but you might want to try Seachem Prime or Amquel. I used to use the Hagen Nutrafin dechlorinator, but I don't any more.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Although the label may say 'remove heavy metals', the metals are still in the water. What happens is the metal ions are bound to organic molecules, most likely EDTA. Binding the ions makes them much less reactive to biomolecules (proteins etc) and hence makes them less toxic. They still are in the water, just that they don't react with your fish/plants. Ion exchange resins/peat filtration might be able to totally remove them. But i wouldn't worry about it, if we can drink the water it should be good enough for our fish.
    heavy metals refers to free mercury, lead etc in our water, i wouldn't worry about them too much. Trace elements added in fert is already bound (chleated), adding more binder doesn't affect them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Shrimp don't tolerate these heavy metals as well as fish do though.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks to all for the feedback. Think I have a clearer picture now after reading up.