Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Recomend tank glass thickness

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    6mm is good enough, but personally I would go with 8mm if the price difference is not too much more.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by chipset View Post
    does it make a big different viewing fish with 6mm or 8 mm?

Hi Bros/Sis,

My personal experience with my present 1.5ft with 8mm thick Glass, there will be some magnifying effect, especially when under Lighting and with Light colour Background. I believe this is due to Thicker Glass.

thks/rgds.

malvin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eugene_syh View Post
    oh thanks! do you know the price range and are there any brands to stay away from??
    hi, got mine with the price of one blue note

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by malmah View Post
    Hi Bros/Sis,

My personal experience with my present 1.5ft with 8mm thick Glass, there will be some magnifying effect, especially when under Lighting and with Light colour Background. I believe this is due to Thicker Glass.

thks/rgds.

malvin
    I doubt so. Only if you have a curved tank you might have the magnifying effect with thick glass.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bai View Post
    Ya if u using chiller then u need to order for a thicker glass.....if not u will face the condensation problem.
    Didn't know that the thickness of the glass contribute to condensation problem. Cannot figure out how the thickness of the glass is related to condensation.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    6mm is good enough, but personally I would go with 8mm if the price difference is not too much more.
    Take note that distortion is more obvious with thicker glass.
    Cheers,
    U.K.Lau

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what do you really mean by distortion?

Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    Take note that distortion is more obvious with thicker glass.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by uklau View Post
    Didn't know that the thickness of the glass contribute to condensation problem. Cannot figure out how the thickness of the glass is related to condensation.
    if i not wrong...if chiller temp set low then if glass not thick enough then in room temp may have condensation lor.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If the room temperature is much higher than normal room temperature, you will experience condensation no matter how thick your glass is. My tank is 12 cm thick and when hot weather occur, my tank glass will experience condensation.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    If the room temperature is much higher than normal room temperature, you will experience condensation no matter how thick your glass is. My tank is 12 cm thick and when hot weather occur, my tank glass will experience condensation.
    tks for the clarification & info....noted.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    HOHO. what are u keeping behind a 12 cm thick tank wall? shark??

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

HOHO. what are u keeping behind a 12 cm thick tank wall? shark??
    Alamak bro 12mm lah. Marine tank need thicker glass than a typical planted tank. If you use the same glass used by a planted tank for a marine tank, for sure the glass will bow, which will force the silicone to stretch to the limit. And whichever is weaker, the glass or the silicone, saltwater will eventually rest on your house floor. I believe bro Izzat has a picture of his tank bowed at the center when filled with saltwater.

I kept my water temperature from 25 degree to 26 degree celsius and if the weather turns hotter, condensation will form on my tank glass. No matter how thick your glass tank are, and you use a chiller to keep your water temperature stable, when the weather outside turns quite warm or hot, you will get condensation as I've have experienced. I am using a Mitsubishi Starmex to maintain my water temperature at a certain level.

Hope this helps!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haha just kidding. must have cost u a bomb

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

haha just kidding. must have cost u a bomb
    Yeah man, I went the custom way and cost around $3000++ for my 4x2x2 with a 3x1.5x1.5 sump and a 6 ft cabinet, which in my theoretical calculation mumbo jumbo would not cause the tank to warp even though it sits on a thick styrofoam. The cost include +GF+ pvc pipes and valves for a more personalized setting. The +GF+ valve are adjustable to the owners need and can be tighten or loosen for the ease-ness of operating the valve. Some local brand have their valve set quite tight that it put me off buying them just because they are cheaper doesn't mean you will not have any difficulty using them.

The reason I went the customized way is because I have used off the shelf tank that were stored at the lfs and less than 2 years later, they leaked. So when I turn to the dark side of the aquatic hobby, I over designed the cabinet and use quality equipment and accessories and after 4 years, I am still happy. My 2 young padawans has problems using off the shelf tank as 1 of them recently sprang a leak 2 weeks ago and had to offload some corals and fish into my tank and the other just discovered after purchasing an expensive magnet cleaner that his cabinet for his marine tank has started to wobble while using the magnet to clean his tank glass.

The term, " You get what you pay for " really takes effect in this aquatic hobby, but sometimes expensive equipment will fail when you least expect it so buyers beware!

Hope this helps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12