Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: How to catch shrimps from planted tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

How to catch shrimps from planted tank?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone
    I have decided to do a total rescaping of my tank. But i have about 200 Malayan shrimps in my tank. How do i catch them? I guess some shrimps will perish in this escapade but how to prevent a large number of them out? Using a net would be quite hard...
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    remove all plants and drain water until about 2-3cm of water.
    then scoop them up.
    should clear all your prawns.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    put a bait like algae wafer, the shrimps should cheong and you can net a bunch at a go.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ----------------
    On 5/9/2003 11:21:41 PM

remove all plants and drain water until about 2-3cm of water.
    then scoop them up.
    should clear all your prawns.
    ----------------
    Hi tawauboy if i uproot my plants wun the water be cloudy and hard to see coz of the fert?

----------------
    On 5/9/2003 11:22:48 PM

put a bait like algae wafer, the shrimps should cheong and you can net a bunch at a go.
    ----------------
    Hello hwchoy would it work if i made a trap out of a bottle with food inside? will the shrimp all cheong inside it?
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    from what I observe, these guys are not that great at locating food, the lazy buggers, whatever it is use a funnel to make sure they are guided into the trap because they are very poor at locating small holes.
    why I don't do garden hybrids and aquarium strains: natural species is a history of Nature, while hybrids are just the whims of Man.
    hexazona · crumenatum · Galleria Botanica

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia
    ----------------
    [/quote]

Hi tawauboy if i uproot my plants wun the water be cloudy and hard to see coz of the fert?
    [/quote]
    ----------------
    just scoop and scoop. should get quite a number of the prawns.
    if not, after uprooting all the plants, scoop out the gravel and base fert slowly.
    don't worry about the prawns as they will automatically 'siam'.
    may loose a few prawns only.
    thomas liew

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    If you plan to rescape, uprooting all the plants is the best way to go. You can uproot the night before and by morning the dirt would have settled. Then just siphon out the dirt and water until only a few cm of water is left. It'll be real easy to catch the shrimp then.

Actually it only takes the dirt an hour or two to settle, so you could even do the uprooting on the same day and then go have lunch or something.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Well..if you dont find it tedious maybe you could try throwing some pipes from the water hose into your aquarium.
    Within an hour or so you will have plenty og shrimps in the pipes.hehehe...for my case its quite successful

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I'm doing something similar tonight.

And apart from what Vinz has advised, I plan to leave a clump of moss in the tank, after removing all the other plants.

When I go back to the tank later, I'll first use a net to scoop up the moss, cos I believe most of the shrimps would have gone to cling onto it. Then I'll remove most of the water and start chasing the rest of the shrimps.
    P-L-E-C-O-R-Y=M-A-N-I-A!!! YEAH!
    FLORENCE, capital of the region of Tuscany, has a population of around half a million inhabitants, spreads on the banks of the Arno, between the Adriatic and the Tyrrhenian seas, almost in the middle of the Italian peninsula. It is a city which bustles with industry and craft, commerce and culture, art and science.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Use a 1" diameter hose and use it to siphon out the water ( after clear all the stuffs ) the put a net at the other end of the nose and it will trap whatever comes out ! , Cheers !

Safe Diving !
    akoh
    Safe Diving !
    Seeking for the Ultimate Diving Adventure !
    - Sipadan, Similan Islands, Burma Banks, Palau, PNG, Raja Empat ( planning for June 08 )

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    I managed to save a few shrimps but there was a genocide... Guess i need to stock up on shrimps again... [] [] []

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    genocide? you mean they killed each other??