Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Re: May I introduce myself? :)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Here again - at least I have some peace and freetime of my studies. With my cat things have gone better way - now he has started to play with toys and actually demands me with the "terrible" meowing that he want's to play! He's been with my four months now and has changed a lot in this time. From shy and fearful cat to a demanding and self-knowing homekitty who knows how to be jealous and even shows it.

Thanks stormhawk!

The other filter was the old one, I have removed it because it isn't working very well. I had both filters their to get the new one to have right biological balance.

Eggs of the rams disappeared, it was their first or second time when they spawned - hope the next one will succeed. It takes a lot of patience, it would be sooo nice to have fry. After the eggs disappeared, I changed their food for dry food for a week, but now I have started to give them frozen food in hope of having them to start new breeding. Btw, should the flat rock to be near filter and air pipe, and should they have more light? I have huge plant in other side of the tank and the rock is there and it's not so light place - should I place it somewhere else?

I've read somewhere that it takes 5-6 weeks for rams to start a new spawning if the eggs don't hatch or are eaten, is it true?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I'm not sure on that since mine would spawn like clockwork when fed very well. Leave the rock where it is. They don't have preference for light levels and sometimes prefer a shaded tank. If they're well fed and conditioned beforehand, they will breed if the timing is right.

Occasionally, 2 females will form a pair and therefore you won't get any fertile eggs. I had this once with 2 very fat females that would ignore the male, but spawn with each other.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

So.. new aqua-babies has come. Well - not ram's babies that I have been waiting for but the shrimps!

I changed the water carefully but I also took away filter to clean it in fresh water in case there's some life - and what did I find - 4 shrimp babies swimming like fire on their tail. Well, I put them in the smaller tank to grow, I hope they survive their.

One of the 4 shrimps was three times bigger than others, not an adult though. Colour was orange, the smaller ones seemed to be grey.

I'm still waiting for ram's babies - next week I'll buy some kind of divider to give them some peace while spawning. I think the corys especially disturb them too much, and my Ancistrus sp. has become a little nasty - though only towards corys.

I guess I should stop waiting for some fish babies to be born - that's what I have done with my shrimps and they seem to get fry. Some say they are even harder than fish to get to spawn, well, not in my case I think. Few has even survived for adulthood. They are sensitive...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hope you have gotten your camera/camera phone to take some photos. +) You can then compare the photos and see the different stages.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

My latest news for you!

So, today I got my 32 ga tank and I have set it up. Filter will be coming in few days, everything else is ready. Cichlids will move there little later.

Well, I'm not sure if I told you that I took two n. anomala females, they reside in my 25 ga tank. Here's the thing - the other female has turned really dark and hascheckerboard costume on. Perhaps there are babies to come. I wish she could have waited the moving but guess I have to leave her there with the fry. I'm not sure if it is wise to disturb any of the fish while there are babies..

Photos of my new tank may be seen in photobucket with the same ID as I have here.

Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12