Country
    Finland

Cool May I introduce myself? :)

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi

I'm new here as everyone can see (and read). My nick Serketa comes from one bookserie, which has a female character of that name - the serie talks about the history of Egypt and latter is one thing that I just simply love.

About myself I'm not sure what to tell. Well, I'm now 27 years old (but I'm still young ) nurse from Finland. My job is to take care of elders.

My passion is animals. Especially fish and cats. I have 112 l and 40 l ("kindergarten") aquarium which houses tetras, corys and two species of Cichlidae - the latter is on of the reasons why I decided to join here. You guys seem to be more interesting in advicing newbie than people in some other forum. To the questions I'll return in another thread. Kindergarten is empty - yet there are some neocaridinas in it which got born in last late summer. It would be nice to learn my species english names - those latin names are just horrible. I dream about 300 l aquarium - but those are expensive so that dream has to wait to become true.
    So, I have a cat too. He was saved in october from our yard - he's former owners left him when they moved away from our neighbourhood. I was to know about it only few days before we catch him and he came to live with me - for 6 months he lived outside, hunting he's food. He was really scared for about 3-4 weeks after beeing caught, but now he is sooo cute and acts like he has lived with me from kitten - eating my plants, meowing in the middle of the night just for fun, but one of the best thing with him is that he leaves aquariums alone. He doesn't try to catch the fish, though few times he has hit the glass with paw - propably just to make me notice him.
    I'm finnish speaking so my english can be a bit funny - so ask me to clear out if my text seems to be too hard to understand. And ask me if you'd like to know more about me.

-Serketa aka -S

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: May I introduce myself? :)

Welcome to AQ! I have 5 cats and lots of shrimp!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Thanks Fuzzy

Oo.. five cats! They must be adorable..! Are your shrimps these Caridinas or so? I wish to "breed" them too - they "accidently" did last late summer, I was cleaning my old filter and the babies were inside.. They didn't survive long - since I had Colisa Labiosa who I think ate them. One baby survived and now it occupies my kindergarten tank.

My friend wishes to have Caridinas and I promised that she can have them from me for free, if they happen to breed again.

Crayfish would be cool but I think they are too "nasty"..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to the forum.
    One of the joys of fish / shirmp keeping is to have accidental spawning so congrats on that.

And, your English is just fine, don't worry about it.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Thank you.

I feel very comfortable here - everyone seem to be polite to one another, and I admire that.

I just hope my N. Anomala problems will be over soon. I have a headache because of them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^^ then you would love Prof. Dr. Soheir Zaki Hawas who is protector of egypian artifacts. Look him up, might get to see some of the hidden treasure published recently.

You could browse the photo gallery and see other people's tank to draw on new inspiration. AQ is a mixed of people from different countries, don't worry about your english, you have to worry about Singapore's english which is similar to Malaysia's english, basically all have local jargons. Feel free to ask if you do not understand some of the "terms" we used. Always have people around to explain it. =) Cheers!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Welcome to AQ!

What is the problem you are facing with your N anomala?
    Nicholas

Newbie en el cichlid enano

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Thanks Blue Whale!

I know about Z. Hawass but something with him just doesn't make me willing to hear him or read his texts. I'm a member in one Egyptian history forum and we have had a lot of discussion about him and his finds and work - the last too are remarkeble and I respect him for that - it just seems that he won't accept other theories about Nefertiti than his own for example. I don't mean it as offence, it's just appearence which I have had of him - I maybe wrong too. Maybe I'll see him when I go to Egypt but that won't happen in many years (if I don't win in a lottery!).

That link which you gave to me isn't working, I got it from stormhawk earlier. I found the link by googling it. It can be found from my N. Anomala thread. Wackytpt, my problems with specie is found there. You may want to add your own opinion?

I'm not sure if to give my anomalas away and take two rams instead.. Well, I have a months time to think about it.
    Last edited by Serketa; 22nd Jan 2010 at 22:42. Reason: typos

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

^^ I just catch him sometimes on Discovery Channel. Most of his work is on internet. Now given the responsiblity to hire arm men to protect the relics, it's really hard work. He do have a history of mis-identifying stuffs but who don't? Given the relics are so old. For protection, I give the man my respect. So if he do not accept certain views, just think of it this way, which chef would say his cooking is bad? lol.

I am not experience in N. Anomala, I see Stormy doing a splendid job explaining to you there, so don't want to disturb the thread yet. Wacky is not bad himself. That's alright (refering to aqadvisor), I see you have reach the site already.

Which one do you most have affection with? Anomalas or rams? That should help you to make a decision there.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

~~Welcome Serketa to AQ~~ enjoy staying here~~
    Collecting Betta
    eikobetta.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Thanks eiko - I will.

BlueWhale - I'm beginning to think that I give up with anomalas now. Rams are nice, I like their colouration and behaviour.

I'll see if the store or some of my friends could take the two males I still have.

I've been dreaming about 300 l tank, there is a great place for it in my living room (this isn't possible yet, maybe after a year when I can work full weeks and can afford to it) and I'm planning it for cichlids. That would be a place for anomalas and rams. 112 l tank would be for tetras.

I'll continue with rams - anomalas will be back later.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

You will be surprised to see the colourful mating colours of the N Anomala.

I have replied in your thread.

Cheers
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

=) I see that you have made your decision.
    Very good.

Run towards the goal you have set for yourself. I am sure you will come back to Anomala sooner or later. You just need to endure till the end.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Yes, I definitely will, BlueWhale!

Those rams are interesting and nice too. I'll send a message of the other section, I have a question about their behaviour (not anything bad I think).

Bigger anomala male is getting nasty on the other, I think I'll separate them soon.

I wish not to kill either of them, but that must be done if no one of my friends want's them. I think the specie is unknown to them and that's why they hesitate to take them.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Serketa View Post
    I know about Z. Hawass but something with him just doesn't make me willing to hear him or read his texts. I'm a member in one Egyptian history forum and we have had a lot of discussion about him and his finds and work - the last too are remarkeble and I respect him for that - it just seems that he won't accept other theories about Nefertiti than his own for example. I don't mean it as offence, it's just appearence which I have had of him - I maybe wrong too. Maybe I'll see him when I go to Egypt but that won't happen in many years (if I don't win in a lottery!).
    This is common with people who are so absorbed by what they are doing, that they are unable to accept the views of others, no matter how flawed their original theory or reasoning is. This is why scientists (among others) bicker so much over the tiniest of differences.

I've heard of Dr. Hawass, and for all his faults (if any), he is still a respected archaeologist in Egypt. Without his expertise, I doubt there would be anyone still looking after those relics in their home country.

Oh and by the way, this is late but Tervetuloa! to AQ.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Kiitos, stormhawk

Yes, I do respect Hawass too - I just don't like his attitude against some other egyptologists. One case is Joan Fletcher, who is not allowed (Hawass' order) to come to Egypt as professional, because she claims to have identified Nefertiti - I've seen the documents and read articles written by Joan and I don't think it's totally nonsense. Of course - Hawass would want to find Nefertiti himself - wouldn't it? It would be one of the greatest archeological find for many years.. I'm not sure if Joan is allowed to go there as a turist...

Well, mummies don't belong to this forum so I don't want to make any long stories of them. But it's cool to know that here are people who are interested in same things as I - including aquariums!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

3 of my cats are really cute, 2 are just downright pesky

I am presently only rearing Malayan Shrimp and Red Cherry Shrimp, I gave up on Crystal red shrimp a few months ago, probably won't try them again until a later date.

The only fish I trust to not snack on my little shrimp are Boraras Brigattae!

Crayfish are a little too destructive for my liking, but Cambarellus Patzcuarensis "Orange" (aka CPO, Orange Dwarf Crayfish) are really cute, I don't really trust them with shrimp, but I might set up a tank to rear them at some point.

And strangely enough I'm an Anthropology Major, Egyptology is a field that is so incredibly saturated that few even think about entering it any more these days. Politics are particularly rife in Egyptology, the only field that is more political is
    Biblical Archaeology.

Quote Originally Posted by Serketa View Post
    Thanks Fuzzy

Oo.. five cats! They must be adorable..! Are your shrimps these Caridinas or so? I wish to "breed" them too - they "accidently" did last late summer, I was cleaning my old filter and the babies were inside.. They didn't survive long - since I had Colisa Labiosa who I think ate them. One baby survived and now it occupies my kindergarten tank.

My friend wishes to have Caridinas and I promised that she can have them from me for free, if they happen to breed again.

Crayfish would be cool but I think they are too "nasty"..
    Last edited by Fuzzy; 24th Jan 2010 at 16:48.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Finland

Yes - She was a remarkable lady in her time... Though no one is quite sure how rude she actually was - since she has been depicted smiting enemys.. And - she didn't give birth a son which the king's great wife should have - it was some other lady, tut's mum.

Okay - here's at least one link you guys will be thrilled to see!

First is the dull one.. http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/s...My%20aquarium/(this is especially for you to see stormhawk!)

Then the better link - a large photogallery of my visit to giant aquarium show in Helsinki, Finland in December 2009. This place is open whole year, and is definitely something everyone should see them with their own eyes. My photographing skills are terrible, my hands were shaking for excitiment, (and the fish were on the move all the time as you know!) but still I wanted to publish them. Enjoy!

http://s557.photobucket.com/albums/s...lsinki%202009/
    Last edited by Serketa; 24th Jan 2010 at 22:01. Reason: Link made correct

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

I just editied this thread to omit out the personal conversation.

Thanks
    Nicholas

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Serketa, the whole filter on the left should be below the waterline, except for the power line and the air inlet aka venturi. The heater seems fine, but I noticed you had another filter in there. Placing the new filter at another corner of the tank will be better for overall water flow throughout the tank.

As for your Rams, it is highly likely that they are already guarding fry.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast