Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

water flow and oxygen lvls for shrimps

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Can i ask what the general water flow and oxygen levels for a shrimp tank should be? In the current setup im preparing for the cherries species family of shrimp, the flow is fairly strong and bubbles are a plenty. How will shrimps be affected in a high O2 enviroment and will they be stressed like fishes if the water flow is too strong? Also is there anything to look out for when transfering the shrimps from one tank to another? My current shrimp tank already has 2 batches of offsprings in them and I would find it hard to forgive myself is I screw up the transfer. Thankyou very much for your time reading.
    Last edited by fishbuger; 19th Jan 2010 at 21:26. Reason: orginal post was done in rush due to boss appear

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: water flow and oxygen lvls for shrimps

What size is your tank and what brand/model of filter are you using?

Cherry shrimp are very hardy, it should be pretty easy, if you're seeing lots of bubbles your Oxygen level should be just fine, there is no problem with a high oxygen environment, and its in fact even better for your shrimp (assuming you're not pumping pure oxygen into the tank or anything crazy like that, naturally it will never be so high that its a problem)

You probably do not want a super strong flow rate, if its really overkill, you might want to consider installing a rain bar, pointed at the wall of the tank to lower the flow rate.

When transferring shrimp from tank to tank, just be sure to take time to acclimatize them gradually, don't just scoop and dump, should be no other problems, assuming you've completed cycling the new tank, and the water parameters are all ok.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thankyou for reply . Current tank size is 2ft x 1ft x 1ft. Gex e-air 2000 sb air pump connected to sponge filter for bio filtering and ehiem liberty 150 hof with mechnical filter medium and 1 packet of activated carbon squeezed inside. GH 120, KH 120, PH 7.8, NO2 0, NO3 40. Reason I want to move them is because I want to revamp the whole tank due to an embrassing and insulting algae disaster.

The planned holding tank is 1.5ft x 1ft X 1ft with a normal small sized air pump connected to a Gex "roka boy" "M" size corner filter (basically a sponge, some activated carbon and a air stone in a plastic box) and a SUNSUN submersible filtration pump at 600L/H. GH 30, KH 40, PH 7, NO2 0, NO3 20.

The PH of the current tank feels a little too high I think and the water parameters between both tanks seems a bit far off. Is it even a good idea to make the transfer?

Again i thank everyone for their time

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

600 L/hr may be on the high side for a 1.5ft, but if you just direct the flow through a rainbar, or onto a wall of the tank it should be no problem.

As long as the new tank if fully cycled, transferring your cherry shrimp over should be no problem, as long as you take time to gradually acclimatize them.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thankyou for advice again A full tank revamp is impossible now for as the shrimps have given birth. I can't catch them all and my DIY shrimp trap is not doing any good either. Only thing I can do is to transfer my females to the new tank and wait for the newborn shrimplets to grow big enough to transfer.

Here is a picture of my "new" tank.

1)The submersible pump will probably get replaced by a sponge filter for shrimplet safety and for some reason my cherries love the sponges

2)The guppy is only there until sunday when I can get a tank for him.

3)This is the gex roka boy thingy. Works well just not sure how safe it is for shrimplets.

I was also lucky to witness my cherries mating today . Not in the old tank or the new one but in the holding tank where they are being acclimatised

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

The GEX Roka air powered filter should be ok, shrimp are pretty strong swimmers. My Cherries and Malayans also love camping on sponges, I guess its all the food particles trapped on there.

Usually I just gradually catch my shrimplets by hand over the course of a few days, its not really too difficult, if you have a small net and some patience.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thankyou for your wonderful advice fuzzy. I've thought long and hard about the transfer and the main reason I wanted to do so is because the tank has a serious algae problem despite it being a shrimp tank...but then again my objective with the cherries is to breed and sell them eventually as they are from a strong coloured line but since the cherries are already breeding well in the old tank, my objective is technically met so I figure I'll play safe and not put all my eggs in one basket. I'll do what i can to fix the old tank and live with the partial transfer for now. once again thankyou

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey no problem! We can compare notes in a few months hehehe. I just started my Sakura/Fire Red breeding in a new tank also.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Yr roka box is safe. The flow of the bubble is not that strong so dont worry
    If keeping Exotic shrimps are easy then there will not be Exotic prices.
    -Justin-

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks : ) Got home early today I found a dead shrimp being eaten by the others and many others acting strangely at top of tank. Did a water test and discoverd a super no2 and no3 spike.On the spot did a 40% water change with "spare water" and dose extra bacteria. Almost 4 hrs and so far no more deaths.lucky on leave so can monitor whole nite.

No change in my water readings yet...but they seem ok still maybe less the fella going againts the flow heh

Last edited by fishbuger; 29th Jan 2010 at 09:19.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

its normal if one dies and nth else dies. sometimes the poor shrimp just fated to have a short life. haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

what is the reason for the no2 and no3 spike by the way?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

You should have some plant to absorb those no2/3 thing. Moss alone cannot help.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eugene_syh View Post
    what is the reason for the no2 and no3 spike by the way?
    3 main reason I can think of is
    A)excess feeding and the extra food become extra NO2 and NO3 which the bacteria in the tank cannot "eat" fast enough.
    B)Or in some cases the bacteria die so nobody left to "eat" the NO2&3 nonsense.
    c)Cycle not enough

My case I still trying to figure out

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    You should have some plant to absorb those no2/3 thing. Moss alone cannot help.
    I pump in more "instant" bacteria and send in my frogbits army hopefully can improve a bit by tonight.

Thanks all for concern.This attempt is my most successful so far and I already have some pieces that are solid colored and close to fire red. Hopefully no major screw ups

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

[QUOTE=Thanks all for concern.This attempt is my most successful so far and I already have some pieces that are solid colored and close to fire red. Hopefully no major screw ups [/QUOTE]

Actually are solid reds sakuras? I have a few cherries in my tank, some are spotted some are solid reds. both cherries, why the huge difference.. haha. and I always think that the solids look 'fake' haha. like some plastic model.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I may be wrong but from what I think I know...cherries like crs also have grades.

cherry-->sakura-->taiwan fire red

same shrimp different color intensity.experts please correct me if im wrong.thankyou

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by fishbuger View Post
    I may be wrong but from what I think I know...cherries like crs also have grades.

cherry-->sakura-->taiwan fire red

same shrimp different color intensity.experts please correct me if im wrong.thankyou
    This is indeed correct. Maybe a better one would be. Cherry => Sakura => Fire Red => Taiwan Fire Red.

Btw, nice FRs you have. You have Crs also? What Grades?

Cheers

Dwarf Cichlids whatsapp group

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If you are worried that there is too much algae, you can get a nerite to clean the tank for you. Also, a couple of stem plants will help to keep your nutrient level in check too. You do not need the submersible pump since your bioload is very small, the box filter will the job well. I have successfully breed cherries in a 1 1/2 footer till I got wine red and fire red colour with just a simple corner box filter which I got for $4.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks Wenjun for the tip. I don't keep Crs yet but a friend promised to pass me some and a chiller once he feels Im ready. No idea when will that be though haha. Once I am confident enough with the cherries I will probably move into yellows also.

Thankyou for the advice jungle. Do you selectively breed your cheeries to acheive your wine reds?

Will be adding nanas to help keep the no2&3 in the new tank in check.

Shrimplets and some of my redder pieces in the partially cleaned up original tank. As Fuzzy mentioned they love sponges especially this "seasoned" one.
    Last edited by fishbuger; 31st Jan 2010 at 21:40.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks all for help. NO2&NO3 have gone down to much safer levels with minimal losses. Worst hit victim was a female dropped her eggs. Other than that....everything appears fine....should be able to declare safe in another few days.

Bought the cherries SERA food from germany which is a lot cheaper compared to HIKARI which I've been feeding. They seem to like it a lot anybody using SERA too?

Oto attack!! Heh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast