Country
    Alderney

How to care of your goldenfish?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi..
    I have goldenfish.I came to know they require cool water climate and i feed them 2 times a day.I know much about fish care.I just want to know:
    1)after how many days should i change the water
    2)how do i make them reproduce.
    I will be very thankful to get some useful tips to take care of goldfish.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: How to care of your goldenfish?

Hi,

Generally, we recommend changing 20 to 25% of the fish tank water once a week.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Vinz,
    that low?
    Okay my reply do not cover the reproduction portion and in planted tank.

One of the vice principal from a nearby school whom I know, 2 years back decided to go on a holiday trip during CNY. So he ask me to take care of his 4 little lion heads. Back then I was running a 3ft tank. Now my normal room temp is about 28C and falls to a 24-25C at night. (Just keep the room cool with windows open)

I setup this 30cm (1ft) tank, with a running pump, without any soil or plants. Fish food is basically pellets (left over from Luohan period) and a heater which is tuned to 28C. Water was basically fed from my 3ft tank. After 2 weeks when my friend came back, he noticed the lion heads (all surviving) grew bigger and fatter than under his care.

I do remember that gold fish cannot be subjected to sharp water temperature changes. So keep in mind not to do sharp temperature changes. They will do fine so long the temperature is more or less constant. As for female goldfish, they tend to menstrate, if they can't menstrate/stuck halfway, they dies, nothing you can do. Another thing is the bigger the tank the faster they grow and no, I do not know the logic behind it but this is based on observation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Gave up on Goldfish, last time mine always turn upside down, was told to feed the sinking pellet instead of floating type to prevent them from taking in air, not sure true or not

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I was attracted to this thread because i saw 'goldenfish' as the thread title. Foolish me wanted to see what were these golden fish, BUT they're just goldfish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Eugene, marketplace got goldfish, can goto there to see the picts.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I know what are goldfishes but i got so used to them being called gold fishes, i didnt realise that golden fishes were the same thing, i thought it was some rare breed of fish or something. haha.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

lol...I see what you mean now.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Goldfish are the most durable, resilient creatures. You can practically toss him right in and he'll be fine. If you want to pamper him a bit, you can add some drops to the water and prepare it by getting rid of chlorine, etc. Just as long as you clean the bowl every week or so and don't over feed..that makes a mess in there....he'll be fine. You don't even need to aerate the water with pumps or anything. Just think of the ones you see at the fairs that are in plastic bags and carried from town to town. Yours is going to feel like a king compared to that.
    Fate is written in wood, not stone.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    ... As for female goldfish, they tend to menstrate, if they can't menstrate/stuck halfway, they dies, nothing you can do. Another thing is the bigger the tank the faster they grow and no, I do not know the logic behind it but this is based on observation.
    One's idea of "faster" may not be the same as another person's idea of "faster" or even "fast".

For instance, when I talk to a champion goldfish keeper, none of my goldfishes grow fast enough to him. His tanks are not big - I have a 4ft tank but he does not have a 4ft or bigger tank. However, his fishes are bigger.

My understanding is that there are many interdependent factors. Size of tanks does help with keeping water parameters in check, but size (of tank) alone does not make a goldfish grow faster.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by kenkenstomp View Post
    One's idea of "faster" may not be the same as another person's idea of "faster" or even "fast".

For instance, when I talk to a champion goldfish keeper, none of my goldfishes grow fast enough to him. His tanks are not big - I have a 4ft tank but he does not have a 4ft or bigger tank. However, his fishes are bigger.

My understanding is that there are many interdependent factors. Size of tanks does help with keeping water parameters in check, but size (of tank) alone does not make a goldfish grow faster.
    Grow fast may not be a good thing. If you want to keep a beautiful goldfish, you feed just sufficient and not allow the fish to grow too fast. Fish that grow too fast may not necessary display beautiful scales. Hence, feeding habits is also something to pay attention rather than tank size. Anyway I kept the lionheads in a 1 ft during my adoption period then return the Vice Principal, his healthy lionheads which grew bigger. Chinese have a saying,"Good things, little bit is enough". If one over-do certan things/ways, he might reap what he just sow.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I agree that "Grow fast may not be a good thing", but it's more about the health or longevity of the fish if it's allowed to grow fast.

One may have a beautiful fish but it may be short-lived due to too much "pumping" of the fish.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Can anyone certified whether feeding the goldfish with floating feed will make the GF take in air?

chtan23 Guest/Not Logged In

Even if you don't feed floating food, the goldfish will still go to the surface and hunt for food and take in air at the same time. They are greedy fish, keep hunting for food.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi darren! floating food and sinking food, for me i would choose sinking food. the reason is floating food will cause ur beloved fish to have (SBP) swimming bladder problem. your fish can't swimming properly no good for ur fishes. jus my 2 cent. thank you

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

hi everyone! rearing goldfish, some may rear because of fengshui purpose, hobby, fun. etc... hahaz.

i'm rearing9 pieces of goldfishes, in 4 ft tank. in order, to improve goldfish growth, water parameter, ph 7 and above but below 8, water change 20 to 30% once a week. and anti chlorine is a must to be added when water change. temperature wise 28 to 30 should be alright.

food wise, goldfish pellet, frozen bloodworm, sometimes if i pass by fish shop selling tubiflex worm i will purchase it to feed my goldfish. but before feeding the tubiflex worm to your fishes,it must to rinse well to prevent any pesticide that will harmful to ur fish.. do not keep tubiflex worm for next day.after feeding just throw away.

just my 2 cent. wish to share you guys here.. thank you.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the advice. Do you put in gravel or pebbles for your tank?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by darrenchuasy View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Do you put in gravel or pebbles for your tank?
    my pleasure =) i didn't put any gravel or pebble in to my tank. Because all the fish poo will get in to the gravel couldn't go to the filtration system.
    do remember that goldfish is a high boiload fish. Just keep the tank clear. or maybe you can place some plant like nana in to the tanks.
    just my suggestion. i used to be put in, the fish won't bother much about the nana plant. haha. quite safe.