Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Anyone with experience with Eheim Classic 2211 + Chiller?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Arrow Anyone with experience with Eheim Classic 2211 + Chiller?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I recently acquired a new Eheim Classic 2211 for my 2ft tank. I am wondering if the flow rate (300l/h) is enough to power a chiller? Any forum-ers using this existing setup? If yes, which chiller are you using and what is the damage?

Thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Anyone with experience with Eheim Classic 2211 + Chiller?

Is this for planted tank? In my opinion, Eheim 2211 by it self is not enough for 2ft tank.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Oh no. Yes it is for a planted tank. I seen from some other sources that some use if successfully for a planted tank. Have you encountered any problems using 2211 with a 2ft?

What would you recommend if not 2211? Also, i guess the 2211 can't power a chiller as well judging from your answer.

Still new to this so not much experience. Any advice is appreciated.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

not a problem, just the flow is too low to my liking. I used 2213 on one 2ft tank and 2215 on my other 2ft tank, depending on the scape.

Which chiller do you have? normally chiller will slow down the flow. Don't worry it won't damage anything
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

so in other words, strictly speaking, i can still pipe my 2211 to a chiller (small one maybe) and it will still run, albeit a bit slower?

i'm in the midst of converting my 2ft into a planted shrimp tank, trying to plan ahead first. i have not acquired a chiller yet. will only acquire after i clear my doubts!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Dude, if you're not fussy, you can try selling away the 2211 and then getting another canister to run through the chiller. You can buy a new Atman canister filter below $100 to run through your small chiller. Should be sufficient. Fyi, I'm running an Atman CF1200 on my Resun CL450 chiller in my planted CRS tank. The flow is just nice in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by reveru View Post
    so in other words, strictly speaking, i can still pipe my 2211 to a chiller (small one maybe) and it will still run, albeit a bit slower?

i'm in the midst of converting my 2ft into a planted shrimp tank, trying to plan ahead first. i have not acquired a chiller yet. will only acquire after i clear my doubts!
    To: Mr Reveru

In my opinion, you may consider to check the Filter Head.

If I can remember, for Filter 2211 - Head is 1.2m. And if your Tank Top to the Filter return is more than 1.2m, you may face Return Flow problem. And consider if you in-line with a Chiller, there will be Higher Resistance on the Return Side.

For your info, please.

thks/rgds.

malvin

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I myself will not use 2211 on a 2ft tank, less connecting it to a chiller, whatever the size of chiller it may be. In fact I used 2211 for a 1ft tank.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am presently running a classic 2213 on a 2ft Fiveplan tank. The flow is just nice in my opinion, but plumbing a chiller into the loop would drop the flow rate to levels lower than I'd be comfortable with.

I was previously running an eheim 2226 (900 L/hr) canister through a Hailea HC-150A in a fairly short loop (total less than 3m of tubing end to end,) and was seeing pretty good efficiency from my chiller (At 25C, on for 5 - 8 minutes per hour.)

In short the 2211 should be sufficient for a lightly planted 2ft tank by itself, but I wouldn't recommend running a chiller with it.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, appreciate it a lot. From what I gather, I think the 2211 is not suitable for my 2ft because I intend to plant it rather moderately. This is a pity cos the 2211 is brand new. Now I have to find a buyer for it.

Somehow feel a bit strange because the packaging on the Eheim says its good for tanks up to 150l. My 2 ft is approximately 70 litres or 18G (dimensions without substrate). So if I add substrate probably around 16G, which is kinda way below 150l. Seems like the packaging info is deceiving!

I do have an Atman CF-600 with flow rate of 740l/hr. What do you guys think of the suitability of this canister with my 2ft? This canister should definitely be able to connect to chiller right? I'm considering getting a Hailea HC-150A. Not sure which shop sells it though. Any bros know if C328 sell this chiller and what's the approximate damage? Running on a tight budget here.

Thanks once more to Fuzzy, Jimmy, malmah, crazyhanz and Shadow.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys, appreciate it a lot. From what I gather, I think the 2211 is not suitable for my 2ft because I intend to plant it rather moderately. This is a pity cos the 2211 is brand new. Now I have to find a buyer for it.

Somehow feel a bit strange because the packaging on the Eheim says its good for tanks up to 150l. My 2 ft is approximately 70 litres or 18G (dimensions without substrate). So if I add substrate probably around 16G, which is kinda way below 150l. Seems like the packaging info is deceiving!

I do have an Atman CF-600 with flow rate of 740l/hr. What do you guys think of the suitability of this canister with my 2ft? This canister should definitely be able to connect to chiller right? I'm considering getting a Hailea HC-150A. Not sure which shop sells it though. Any bros know if C328 sell this chiller and what's the approximate damage? Running on a tight budget here.

Thanks once more to Fuzzy, Jimmy, malmah, crazyhanz and Shadow.
    To: Mr Reveru

I had also a 2ft Planet Tank (approx; 60 Ltrs). I am using a Ehiem 2222 Filter inline with a Artica DB50 Chiller. So far so good.

Correct me if I am wrong:
    In Theory, consider a 300 l/hr Filter will be able to do 4.28 Times per hour for a 70 Ltrs Tank Capacity. Which should be not bad.

However, we need to consider following:

1) Delivery Head of the Filter designed. (the higher the better).
    2) Height Between Tank and Filter. (the smaller the better)
    3) Length of Hose (the shorter the better).
    4) Diameter of the Return Hose (Volume is inversely proportional to Pressure, the biggest the Surface Area of the hose the better)
    5) any additional connection after the Delivery Side of the Filter eg: CO2 Reactor, Chiller etc.

All the above will indirect course Back Pressure/resistance to the return flow.

For your info, please.

thks/rgds.

malvin

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

My guess is because classic was design long-long time ago before hobbyist start putting plants in their tank. Typically for bare tank (no plant) the filter flow should be around 2-3 times the water volume which is just about right for eheim classic.

When you look at newer model like Ecco Pro 2032, flowrate is 500 l/h recommended for tank size 60-130 liters. just right for 60 liter but in my opinion it is still too slow for 130 liters.

There are 2 flow follower in this planted tank hobbyist. First one is the slow flow follower, their argument is in nature you can't see any plant in fast moving stream. The second one is the high flow follower, the argument is plant unable to move thus you need to bring the nutrient for them.
    -Robert

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I consciously keep low bioloads in all my tanks, but prefer over filtration whenever possible. My rationale is better water quality equals healthier fauna.

That said my Nisso 3x2x2 is currently a little under filtered , I'm running an eheim 2226 (950 L/hr) through a Hailea HC-150A chiller.

The flow rate seems way too low for my liking, seeing some constantly suspended particles in the water column, but chiller efficiency seems ok, not great but acceptable. I think I need to clean the canister out this week.

I'm running an external FOX 1004 thermostat, set at 27C, it kicks in for about 15-20 mins every 1 - 2 hrs.

There are about 60 Sakuras, 1 otto and 15 boraras brigattae in the tank at present, planning to add maybe 2 more ottos at the most. No rooted plants.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all the replies and tips. I have decided to use an Atman CF-600 (flow rate 740l/h) with a Hailea HC-150a for my 2ft. Now i have to find a buyer for my new 2211. Sigh. Another case of money wasted because not enough research done.

One more question (although unrelated), what bio-load would be considered acceptable for my 2 ft tank (approx 18G max, closer to 16G when filled) with the CF-600 if I keep shrimps, ottos, and a few horned nerites?

Thanks for the helpful replies!