Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Good OHF/HOF filters to reccomend?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Good OHF/HOF filters to reccomend?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi bros,

I am setting up a 3x1.5x1.x5ft tank.

Any overhead or hang on filter models that are durable and have strong intake to suck up a lot of waste? I don't mind pay a bit extra for something that will last and keep the tank clean.

Please advise, thanks.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Good OHF/HOF filters to reccomend?

Would you consider external filters?

Depending on the type of fish food you administer everyday, Internal filters, OHF or HOF would required 3-7 days of maintenance cycle. External filters would length this between 14-30 days. Initial setup for external filter might be stressful but you will appreciate the benefit of the filter thereafter.

Think about it. Then our fellow forumers would be able to give you some examples for your considerations.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

For a 3ft tank I would rather you use a canister. However if you wish to use OHF/HOF, there are many options, but I think you'd have to use 2 HOFs at least, maybe one with the Eheim Liberty, the largest model. OHF, there are plenty to choose from, but preferably one with a safety rating.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hey, thanks for the advice, bros.

Where do you reccomend getting the Eheim Liberty? Any competitive-priced LFS selling it at good price?

My tank is placed on the floor and usually I see canister being used for tank that is on cabinet or stand so I prefer to use HOF or OHF.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

It's up to you actually, although I do not have the recent price list, I could point you to see the preview of the product. Each of us the strong points differs.

Now an external ones (which is preferred by most hobbist) basically allow you to enjoy life more by sitting back longer and enjoying your tank. A HOF or OHF means life will be more hell for you since you have to do that constant maint. It would be a no-no if you are constantly tired after work (for female it might be work/chore or both). So when you look at this, most people will go for external filters given that it allow more time play there.

Alternatively if you are waiting to built up those muscles of yours yet you do not have to the time to exercise, you might want to carry buckets and buckets, pails and pails of water to do water change and perform those really hassling task to do maintenance.

Eheim Filters
    http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/in...9er_24958_ehen

Pro III and Pro IIIe is the latest of this product line.

Eheim Classic is basically for people who wants the simple setup.
    http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/in...ail_27510_ehen
    Eheim Pro II has a lever to control water flow in the center. This was what I used to have.
    Now the thing about Eheim is really the price tag and German technology.
    http://www.eheim.de/eheim/inhalte/in...ail_27548_ehen

Another well-known but lower cost filter would be Jebo
    Yes, you will find the OHF and HOF too, not that Eheim do not have it.
    http://www.shopjebo.com/

You will immediately notice the handles of the Jebo canisters is different from Eheim.
    http://www.shopjebo.com/15/canister_filters_supply.aspx

If you need a list, Aqadvisor would have it at Filter 1 and Filter 2.
    http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

You can experiment it with this little virtual calculator/envoirnment to see if the filter suits you or not. The next thing you want to highlight is currently where are you staying? Malaysia or Singapore. If you are in Singapore, you might be able to get more information. For Malaysia, you will need to wait for your fellow country men to be online in time to reply you. If in MY, you will need to highlight where you stay too. Can't be if you stay in Penang then point you to JB shop right?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm in JB so it's convenient for me to visit Singapore LFS and I do come over twice every week.

For tank that is placed on the floor, I will have to put canister filter either behind or next to the tank. Is that fine?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Normally, people would place it on the left or right side, so long your tubes are organised, you should be fine.

Given the proximity, I think it is best that you visit QianHu for eheim and Yishun Aqua Star Trading for jebo. Eheim should be in the region of $250 to $350 SGD if I am not mistaken. Jebo I do not have the price. You can act when you are ready.

http://www.qianhu.com/
    http://www.aquastar.com.sg/

You can use http://www.streetdb.com/ to pinpoint the postal code. Site works for MY places also, you might wish to bookmark this as it really comes in handy.

Alternatively, you can browse through the marketplace, which there is someone releasing an eheim for sale at the moment.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm, the correct remedy for your situation is to 1st ask what you are keeping in that tank of yours, whether is it a planted tank or a fish tank? Yes, a canister filter is ideal to have but not for every tank. In some instance a regular water change is just called for.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Also if your tank and canister are both on the floor, you will have to make sure the water level in the tank is higher than the top of the canister.

I've not seen any single HOF that I would try on a 3ft tank though, you'd need at least 2 or 3 units of the largest HOFs probably.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I am putting 2 X HOF of 600L/H each for my 3ft tank since 6 months without much problem. Usually wash them every 3 months and do 30% water change once a month. Of course my tank is heavily planted and just got about 30 rummy nose. Was using canister filter before but dislike the handling of hoses so switch to HOF. I like the ease of maintaining HOF and their clean cut setup.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I'm keeping four clown loaches inside the first tank and five silver shark in the second tank

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I am using 2 OHF boxes for my high bioload goldfishes, but I got my own pump instead. Each OHF is layered with 3 different filter medium. The top white sponge medium is replaced every 4months or so, but the rest is untouched. You can configure your own filter medium layer. Very very convenient, and super low maintence. Doesn't take up space too. Fishes have lived for years now. OHF is very good for bio-filtration due to the large exposed surface for gas exchange.
    If you want to consider this setup, I think it's ok as the the fishes you are choosing are not small enough to be sucked by the pump.
    My fish friends --------------------------------
    1 goldfish tank
    1 discus tank

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for all your feedback bros,

what brands do you reccomend for HOF and OHF?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

HOF - Some people prefer Eheim Liberty, but there are several other brands that perform just as well for much less. You can probably use 2-3 of these HOF depending on your requirements.

OHF - No idea, there's several brands. Basically all you need is a good powerhead/water pump and an overhead tray. Pretty easy to set up your own OHF if you have a LFS near you that sells the parts you require. The Japanese brands should be good enough, but other models might just be as suitable. Increasing the number of trays is good for increasing the biofiltration capacity of the OHF, but at the same time, it can be unsightly.

Between the 2 types of filters however, if you want something that is strong and good at "sucking up waste" a canister filter will be the best option, especially if you have several fishes that produce a lot of waste.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Touch a bit on OHF. Basically this is divided into Stackable and Non-Stackable. Now the most common one that we see would be non-stackable type.

Here is one example of a stackable type:
    Site Ref: http://www.fishfriend.com/articles/a...filters_7.html