Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: sick frontosas..

sick frontosas..

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    hey there!

I've had frontosas for a couple of months now and all was going well until yesterday. I found one of them dead and then this morning I found another one that was very weak, couldnt stay upright. The thing that puzzles me is both of the affected fish do not seem to have any signs of illness, no spots, dont seem to have been attacked.

The frontosas were in a 180g tank with other african cichlids. I have moved the remaining 4 (which are 1.5") to another tank now because I noticed that they did not eat when I fed them today. They usually eat frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp, sinking pellets.

Any ideas on what the problem is and what I can do to fix it? The food just hits them on the nose and they take no notice of it!

Oh and the water is all good, no ammonia or nitrite, ph at 8.4 and doesnt budge from there.

Thanks for any ideas and help.

Lindy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    can u state wat else u observe on the fish for the past few days? wat abt the hardness of ur water?

here's an acticle abt them frontosa

The GH is 214.8ppm and KH 322.2ppm.

This morning the remaining 4 look a little pale. I have had some time to think about their behavior over the last week or so and I can only say that I believe there has been a decline in the amount of food they ate. They do not have clamped fins or marks on the skin and their fins are not damaged in any way. Today I did give them a small amount of pellet type food to see if they would eat, they seemed interested but spat the food out.

Thanks for the link to the article.

Lindy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmmm not much abt the water.. b4 u take out the fish.. was it pale? wat abt the fish in the tank now?

r there any worm coming out from the vent or the fish waste... is it white transparent in colour?

erm.. sorry to ask so much qs.. but i suspect something..

The other fish in the tank that were with the frontosas are all fine, eating normally. The frontosas were a little pale before I put them in the tank they are in now.

I can not see any worm looking things on them and their waste is brownish color, not transparent.

Any other question about the tank/fish please ask.
    Thanks for taking the time to help.

Lindy

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    hmm.. if the waste is brown... then its not internal..(hopefully), if u want u can try a small dosage of medication for internal diease and watch over them for a couple of days..

OR maybe its just the weather too cold for them? like eg. discus .. my discus always turn pale and black during the wet season here in singapore.. haiz.. i need to use a heater to keep them well..

maybe u can try both at the same time and see if it works then let me noe ok i'll help u as much as i can..

btw.. do u remove the excess food that is uneaten by them.. this will cos water pollution by the decay of the uneaten food..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    England
    LeAnn[]
    Lindy lives in australia, not singapore, and uses a heater, like i do in the UK, not a chiller like you in singapore, and has it at tropical climate, so it not the heater lah
    Mez
    Currently keeping many wild betta species and other anabantoids.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    oh.. she's one of ur friens .. hehehe..
    hey i don't use a chiller.. too expensive for me[] heater more cheaper[]

----------------
    On 2/5/2002 3:22:47 AM

LeAnn[]
    Lindy lives in australia, not singapore, and uses a heater, like i do in the UK, not a chiller like you in singapore, and has it at tropical climate, so it not the heater lah
    Mez
    ----------------

Today I went to a lfs that I dont usually go to and got my water tested again, just for another opinion. They had different results for the pH and KH than what my test kits show. The pH was 8.8 and the KH was alot higher than what I said it was here, I made them check it 3 times. [:0] Maybe my testkits are bad. Anyway they told me that I need to reduce the KH and that the frontosas would be better for it. What do you think? Could that have been the problem?

I am going to get some new testkits and I will slowly reduce the hardness over the next few days. Also the food that they dont eat I do remove from the tank....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    good for u