Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Neon Tetra Disease:

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Fish infected with Neon Tetra Disease will show signs of becoming pale in color (white patches beneath their skin).

The fish will not school with the others and become listless. Through the latter stages of the disease the fish´s body will begin to degenerate.

Usually the tail end of the body will seem dwarfed and becomes useless, this will cause the fish to have trouble swimming. Upon witnessing these symptoms, death is imminent, consider euthanasia. To my knowledge their is no cure for the disease. I have seen the disease many times and have yet to see it become an epidemic.

The disease will however continue to infect your fish until the cause has been remedied. Neon Tetra Disease is usually caused by stress due to poor water conditions, shock (dramatic change of environment), or being harassed by other fish.

The disease is fatal but it will not kill them that quickly. It is a degenerative disease that goes through many phases and may take weeks before they will die, the actual amount of time depends on the general health of the fish. The disease is borne of a cyst and it will migrate to the digestive system and eventually the muscles of the infected fish.

Contributed by Michael J. Urmann
    http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gneon.html

In rememberance of the late Michael J Urmann who passed away while breaking shale stone, he cut himself and bled to death Sept 12, 2001. Permission was soughted from his sister Julie and photographer Marcos Avila.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    Knight Log:

Happily as I sent my mail to quote this article, I learnt this morning from the author's sister that the author has passed away. This is a tribute for his work.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Noticing my golden tetra shows symptoms metioned in the article, I hurried down to C328 to get a bottle of Up (brand) ICK Cure for $5.80, a cure for itchyophthirius and lymphocystis on Saturday. I am not good with names or scientific names.

Just a single dose save an entire army of 30 over tetras of 5 spieces + some other fishes. I am grateful. I hope this article likewise will do more to help others in this community. [:]

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    i would be watching your fish carefully, if i were you
    NTD is a disease that aquarists have found no effective cure for up to date
    i once used furan-3 that SEEMED to work, but after 4 wks, i discontinued the dosing, and it came back full force

the symptoms might not just be white patches
    i have noticed black, necrotised patches of tissue and some others have seen deformation

just be aware

btw NTD is not ich, so meds for ich wouldn't do much for it
    you might want to read the labels of the meds as some claim to be able to cure NTD

Feedback Score
    Country
    South Africa
    Hi

My neon fish seems to have little white spots on his tail. What can I do to cure him and will he infect my guppies?