Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can I buy powdered Potassium Nitrate?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Where can I buy powdered Potassium Nitrate?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone,

Where can I buy potassium nitrate?

Dr Mallick does not sell the powdered form anymore.

Wahboy

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Where can I buy powdered Potassium Nitrate?

I thought they still sell it, just that it is now a controlled item and you need a license from the SCDF before you can purchase it.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Potassium Nitrate is now restricted as an explosives precursor you need licensing from Singapore Police Force - Arms and Explosives division.

In other words can just forget about it.

Potassium nitrate can only be sold in Aqueous solution of below 5% concentration, but I haven't seen this being offered anywhere currently.

Calcium Nitrate (CaNO3) and Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) both are what most aquarists are using instead of Potassium Nitrate now.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Oh not SCDF? My mistake.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Its really quite messy, some chemicals / compressed gases are under SCDF, some are under SPF...I inquired about applying for a permit for KNO3, but I just totally give up, its not meant for normal human beings, or small scale personal users to be able to get a permit apparently.

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Use Calcium Nitrate and Potassium Sulfate as Fuzzy suggested, Or Calcium Nitrate and Potassium Phosphate.

Plants also need calcium, and our tap water is very lean to expect any significant Calcium replacement through water changes.

HTH
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Potassium Phosphate is probably a better pairing with Calcium Nitrate than Potassium Sulfate.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Fuzzy,

I used APC's fertilator and found that Potassium Phoshate would add excessive amounts of Phosphate into the tank while adding only moderate amounts of Potassium.

Think Potassium Sulfate is still the next best alternative to KNO3.
    - eric

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Huh... Potassium Sulfate OR Potassium Phosphate = Potassium Nitrate? Are you guys sure? Btw i'm currently using double dosage of Potassium Phosphate using EI method. Algae totally dont appear. For Potassium Sulphate, your shrimps may suffer if you add more when i was doing research on it during my fert test. I already stop using Potassium Sulphate.

Btw recently i saw this guy from another forum which he increase dosage on Potassium Phosphate and he gets good result and no algae issue. Previously he also follow the standard EI method but change after his research.
    Last edited by blue33; 25th Jan 2010 at 11:50.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Adrian,

I don't think we're saying they are equal.
    But as alternatives to the now unavailable KNO3.

It is interesting to read about yours and the other person's success with Potassium Phosphate, think I will switch to that after I finish my current batch of Potassium Sulphate.
    - eric

Hougang, Singapore / Tg Balai Karimun, Indonesia
    Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

In the past, I used to add a higher ratio of Potassium (K) than I do with Phosphate (P) and Nitrate (N) without adding Ca thinking that Ca can be gotten from water changes weekly. On top of adding micros, I had to really bump up the CO2 to ensure algae don't come a calling.

Now, I've been using a lot of Calcium from Calcium nitrate, and I increased the P using Potassium Phosphate, while not adding any extra K other than what I added thru KH2PO4. (trace elements etc are also added, and I've cut down usage of Mg to almost not dosing)

I found that plants are more stable in growth, without the need for additional CO2. Even my Aponogeton madacascarensis, which is reputed to go dormant, had been constantly putting out leaves for couple of months after flowering, even though I had not removed its spike (so happy to have it flower wor, this is not a common apon flowering. so how to bear to snip it?).

I think it is a fallacy that adding phosphates will cause your tank problems.
    Warm regards,

Lawrence Lee

brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things.
    Philippians 4:8

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Glad to hear another successful story on using Potassium Phosphate. I still using Magnesium Sulfate, result pretty good thought compared to Potassium sulfate.

What i find in Potassium Phosphate and those in the water column poo poo is one is organic one is not, so it gives a misleading concept that it will lead to algae growth etc etc....

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by bossteck View Post
    Hi Fuzzy,

I used APC's fertilator and found that Potassium Phoshate would add excessive amounts of Phosphate into the tank while adding only moderate amounts of Potassium.

Think Potassium Sulfate is still the next best alternative to KNO3.
    Ooh interesting, I'll have to play with that app. I've not tried Potassium Phosphate yet, as I still have some KNO3 leftover, but it seemed in theory that having your NPK+Ca taken care of all at one shot would be a win win situation.

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Huh... Potassium Sulfate OR Potassium Phosphate = Potassium Nitrate? Are you guys sure? Btw i'm currently using double dosage of Potassium Phosphate using EI method. Algae totally dont appear. For Potassium Sulphate, your shrimps may suffer if you add more when i was doing research on it during my fert test. I already stop using Potassium Sulphate.

Btw recently i saw this guy from another forum which he increase dosage on Potassium Phosphate and he gets good result and no algae issue. Previously he also follow the standard EI method but change after his research.
    We're talking about using Potassium Sulfate or Potassium Phosphate in conjunction with Calcium Nitrate to substitute for Potassium Nitrate.

I think generally that fertilizing a shrimp tank is a bad idea though.

That's why I've reverted to low tech (no ferts, no CO2, no rooted plants) for the time being, want to concentrate on breeding Sakuras.

The other reason I was hesitant to go with Potassium Sulfate was the concern that the extra sulfur in the system might lead to a spike in the anaerobic bacterial growth in the tank substrate, I need to do more research on this though.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Currently i dont face any death in shrimp at all using this method even i dose high dosage. Btw i'm using Potassium Nitrate not Calcium Nitrate. I still find too much Calcium is no good.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by blue33 View Post
    Currently i dont face any death in shrimp at all using this method even i dose high dosage. Btw i'm using Potassium Nitrate not Calcium Nitrate. I still find too much Calcium is no good.
    What shrimp are you rearing? I'm assuming you're injecting CO2 also?

Hehe another lucky hoarder. Problem is what are we going to do when the KNO3 runs out..

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yes i inject high dosage CO2. Cherry, Sakura, Malayan, Amano, etc... except CRS, as it is not suitable for my high tech planted tank. Well i think for many xxxxx ... i dont have to buy the fxxxx.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I just bought 3kg of potassium nitrate, legitimately at $45 a kilo, was I ripped off? What was the normal price before the restriction? Cause it was way higher than I thought it should be.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

What is its purity? Lab grade 99.9% pure KNO3 used to cost around $25 per kg.

Can you PM me the details? thanks in advance!

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Ah ok, just as a quick update, bro Shaihulud's purchase method won't work for the rest of us. He is attached to scientific institution.

booo

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Ah ok, just as a quick update, bro Shaihulud's purchase method won't work for the rest of us. He is attached to scientific institution.

booo
    So am I
    But them cops track exactly how many grams each person takes (although they don't ask what you did with it unless the volume is very large). Problem is, the institute also restricts access to the KNO3, so unless one has a very good reason to buy/take it

Still, I'm going to see if any vendors sells 5% solutions that'll bypass this restriction. Still beats the 0.3% Seachem N water

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast