Country
    Singapore

Algae scrubber?

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Guys or Sifus,

I know there's a method of filtration in marine system called the "algae scrubber" method. Was wondering if anyone has tried this b4 or even heard of it being used in planted tank?

Curious,
    Zul

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    for spotted algae on glass, i use tetratec

Feedback Score
    Sorry Simon, wat do u mean by using Tetratec? i only heard & saw Tetratec Internal Filter....u mean it can remove spotted algae on glass wall of tank?[]

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    oops, its tetra GS glass scraper

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    guys, its not that.
    What i'm talking about is the filtration system.
    In marine setups incorporating the "algae scrubber" method, they have an overflow system which runs through a 'lighted' tank for the algae to grow(or something like that). It's basically cultivating algae to act as your filtration to reduce nitrates and excess nutrients. Was wondering if this method of filtration has ever been attempted for planted tanks?

Still curious,
    Zul

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    in a marine setup, very few higher plants exist. (ie: mostly macro algae/algae), thus an algae scrubber is used.

in a freshwater setup. plants work far more efficiently at removing nitrates etc. so no, an algae scrubber will provide no benefit.

(you can try it with a sump filled with duckweed/frogbit/hornwort)..

but you probably cannot eliminate greenspot that way.

I think the most effective way to kill green spot is having a low intensity uv laser to regularly scan the surface of your tank...hahah..

I'm not sure if ozonisers will help either..

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    United_States
    I used a FW algae scrubber for a coup,e of years and figured out that plants are much better for the job and use less light to do the same job.
    Regular peace lilies work fine and need very little light.

I used Pithophora which my T. moorii would gladly eat it and also and number of other herbivorus fish.

I used a 15 minute increment timer and cycled the water with a spray bar for 15on 15off cycles which gave the best removal rates.

But the plants really work better and is what I wanted in the first place.

Algae scrubbers have really fallen out of vogue with SW folks and rightly so. Refugiums are much better using macro algae to do the work. Like the plants, they do a much better job at reduction/consuming waste and they are a tasty treat for Tangs and other SW herbivores.

I keep marine planted tanks(no corals except an ocassional hitchiker) using both macro algae(there's about 50 species off the coast here) and several angiosperm seagrasses.

I dose PO4, NO3 etc but not quite as much as a planted tank(once a week or so vs 2-3x a week).
    Growth is good, lots of runner production. Simple tank that looks good.

Generally, stay away from "reef" methods, they are based on critters, not macro's or plants. Coral supply the needed N from animals they catch and the algae within the corals supplies the carb's for the corals. This way they can live in very nutrient poor clear waters.
    Macro algae tend to need more nutrients in the water column. Just like FW plants.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    ok guys, thanks for the info.[]