Feedback Score
    Country
    India

A Light Calculation Chart

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    I have created simple “Light Calculation Chart” using simple formulas in MS Excel (I am no computer buff) which might be helpful to fledgling planted tank hobbyist. I wish to share the same with you all.

I have divided the light intensities into 5 categories taking the Lumen per Square Inch (LSI) at the middle depth of the tank. These categories are:-

1. Low Lit – The light will only be sufficient for slow growing low light plants like anubias, java fern, and moss.

2. Medium Lit – The light is sufficient for growing common undemanding aquatic plants.

3. Well Lit – The light is good for all except the difficult demanding aquatic plants. CO2 is not a must in this category but you will find good response if you use it.

4. Bright Lit – CO2 becomes a must and you are free to grow whatever you fancy.

5. Very High Lit – Sky is the limit here as long you don’t evaporate your tank. CO2, Fertilisers and frequent trimming of the plants will enslave you in this category.

I have done away with the ancient Watts per Gallon regime but only for the sake of old times will show it in the results.

Download this chart and save it before using it:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...vVDI0ZFE&hl=en

In the tank Volume just type in the white spaces the Length, Height, and Width in inches of the tank you want to find out about (if you have the measurement in cm then you can find out the same in inches using the conversion table)

In the total lumen installed chart just type in the white spaces the total wattage used against the type of bulb on the left.

In the reflector chart just choose the type of reflector used by typing 1 in the white space on the right of the reflector type.

Now just scroll down and see the result against the Unknown tank.

You can use the chart to find out about your present tank or plan for your future tank.
    Last edited by essabee; 29th Jan 2010 at 21:34. Reason: CORRECT LINK
    A rolling stone which has come to rest

Feedback Score

Re: A Light Calculation Chart

Hi Essabee,

According to your calculations I have a medium lit tank. I have 2 Aquastars and a Gro-lux (each 30 W). Under the Gro-lux tube my HM grows horizontally which I wouldn't expect for a medium lit tank. Any way to factor in the spectrum or K rating of the tubes used? A lower K/more red spectrum would produce lower lumens but provide better plant growth for less W/gal (I prefer W/m2 to per gallon and would cut that in half if the tank is more than 30 cm deep).

Feedback Score
    Country
    India

Hi Thyrone
    If you give your tank's measurements, I could do some calculations on the feedback. I am trying to get the Kelvin rating and the temperature of florescent tubes (they lose 1/6 of their output with every 40F rise in temperature) into the chart.
    essabee
    A rolling stone which has come to rest

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Malaysia

Hm...interesting chart you've created the essabee. Thanks for sharing...I have a bright lit tank...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Beautiful easy to use chart that tells what matters, Well Lit tank =)

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Thank you! Very useful chart and useful for newbies like me!

Not sure if you want to add in age of light tubes in the future versions since older tubes supposed to be less effective.

Feedback Score

Hello,

The tank is 1.16 x 0.45 x 0.50 m. Two aquastars and one gro-lux tube (30 W). The sand layer is about 5 cm deep. There is currently no cover glass.

Thanks