Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

dsm

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Im probably going to be setting up my new tank with the DSM method.

But my new tank is going to be a 55 gallon. What I was thinking of doing is using either a smaller shallower tank, or even a tub and start growing HC emmersed.

reasons:
    1. require a smaller light becuase of less distance to travel, 2 feet vs 6 inches
    2. I havent made my tank stand, and want to use the time that I will to grow the HC
    3. Get the rest of my lightings together and equiptment that I cant afford right now, I should have everything in about 2 months should be enough time for the HC to grow

I was thinking of housing a 4x6'' long substrate with some net-like material (like weed blocker). that way when I transfer it to the new tank I can just carry the whole piece over without disturbing it...

Does my theroy hold wateR?

I been on other forums and came accross this one, I like the site. I already have a 12gallon high light/pressurized co2 running currently.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: dsm

The soil will be loosen during transfer, you'll ended up just like purchasing a mat of HC. What you can do is try to lower down the top plastic cover seal to half the height of the tank, that will help to cut short the light barrier. To be successful in DSM you need to create a "Green House Effect", the top plastic cover seal is to create this effect. Try to keep the soil moist but not over flooded, about half the soil of water fill will do, flooded above the soil will rotten the plant. When you flood the tank you have to inject more CO2 to get the HC transform from emmersed to submmersed quickly. Hope this help.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!!! TIME TO LAY BACK AND RELAX!
    A Journey Of A Thousand Miles Begins With A Single Step

Feedback Score
    Country
    United_States

Re: dsm

ah ic. So my goal would be to produce some type of "box" to hold the gravel so it wont move ?

The main reason I want to try a differnt method is because I havent purchased my light yet lol...