Country
    Singapore

Low Tech Plant Qns

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi,

I am only using GEX Substrate for my 1.5ft tank. What are some low tech plants i can plant?

Currently have hairgrass sparsely planted, having 32w t5 lights, no dosing of anything..

Thanks in adv!

Re: Low Tech Plant Qns

water sprite heh

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

fern species, anubias species, moss species. By the way, don;t think your tank is low tech with 32W of light
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

>"< t5 12k lights not to mention.

$1, $1.5, $2 plants from LFS. Just make sure they are "aquatic plant". Then next is to ascertain when is the exact day the LFS stock up. Buy on that day, that should give you first choice instead of buying some leftovers. It's like buying vegetable from market. Get Fresh. hee.

If you want to be very careful, ask for permission to take a photo then post it to the forum for advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Whale View Post
    >"< t5 12k lights not to mention.

$1, $1.5, $2 plants from LFS. Just make sure they are "aquatic plant". Then next is to ascertain when is the exact day the LFS stock up. Buy on that day, that should give you first choice instead of buying some leftovers. It's like buying vegetable from market. Get Fresh. hee.

If you want to be very careful, ask for permission to take a photo then post it to the forum for advice.
    Hi,
    Do you know when polyart or C328 stock up their plants?

Feedback Score

If you have 32 W over a 1.5 ft tank (I guess 45 x 22 cm surface area) you are looking at 320 W/m2 which is very high light. To make plants happy at this quantity of light you will probably need to supply some CO2 or set the light on a timer so that the illumination period is no more than about 5 hours with a 5 hour rest period between (lights on at 07h00, off at 12h00 and on at 17h00 and then off again at 22h00 for bed).

Good plants for such a tank are HM and Rotala rotundiflora and pygmy swords. Water sprite will thrive but will quickly try to escape the tank as it takes over.

Good luck.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by tangjyd View Post
    Hi,
    Do you know when polyart or C328 stock up their plants?
    Sat I think. But you can call them to confirm. 6775 4773 (24/7), I do have reservation on C328, even though I do get supplies from this place.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

how to i dose Co2? what is the item to buy?

As mine is a shrimp only tank, is it wise to dose anything like co2?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

DIY CO2 is simple. Yeast + sugar solution. But the thing about DIY is that you can hardly control the bubble rate. Commercial ones with Guage and proper canister do offer that flexibility. But here is the thing, shrimps view CO2 like death god. E.g. have live shrimps for your fishing trips, less than half a day, most of these shrimps would be dead. There are examples of shrimps keepers using CO2, but they are very careful on the bubble rate. Until you have read up, or perhaps ask for more advice, try not to yet.

I can keep shrimps in a 3ft with 3-4 bubbles per second. But I don't dare to do that on a 2ft.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by TyroneGenade View Post
    If you have 32 W over a 1.5 ft tank (I guess 45 x 22 cm surface area) you are looking at 320 W/m2 which is very high light. To make plants happy at this quantity of light you will probably need to supply some CO2 or set the light on a timer so that the illumination period is no more than about 5 hours with a 5 hour rest period between (lights on at 07h00, off at 12h00 and on at 17h00 and then off again at 22h00 for bed).
    is it applicable to all plant types to have rest period in between illumination period?

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

You might want to take a look at this link, it should answer some of your questions.

http://forum.aquatic-gardeners.org/v...ic.php?p=2454&

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Eightfold,
    Like what blue whale have suggest you may consider DIY CO2, alternatively you can try using Seachem Excel Organic Carbon.

Cheers
    Knight