Country
    United Kingdom

why did my sucky fish died? :(

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hello everyone!

I came across this forum after researching for gastromyzon ctenocephalus. I've lost 2 recently. One over christmas when my house mate overfed my tank and switched off the air pump.

One just this morning , I found him at the bottom of the tank - i only bought him yesterday! its really quite upsetting because Ive been looking forward to have it back. I would like to find out the reason why he died, could you guys please give me some pointer?

1. do they need strong current? the air pump's been dropped and its only got 1 blade left, but I still have the water flowing fine, but might not be as strong. (i got a fluval edge tank)

2. the temperture is quite cold (when i put my hand in it hurts) - i got one gold fish in the tank and she seems to be doing fine. but i guess goldfish are just more hardy and they can deal with cold much better than astromyzon ctenocephalus?

I would love to have a astromyzon ctenocephalus back (the one died at christmas i had for more than 4 months) but wouldnt want to kill another one unless I make sure I've provided it with the right condition. is there anything else i should look out for?

any tips would be greatfully received, thank you!

Cococatz

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Re: why did my sucky fish died? :(

You might want to get a thermometer and tank heater in there. If its cold enough to hurt when you immerse your hand into the tank, its probably way below their comfort zone (68ºF to 75ºF(20-23.8°C)

Also have you tested your water for Ammonia and Nitrites?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

They do need a current, and some algae on smooth rocks to graze on. See these links on how to set up a proper tank for them, to mimic their natural habitat:

http://www.loaches.com/articles/a-river-runs-through-it
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/rive...anifold-design
    http://www.loaches.com/articles/hill...-the-fast-lane

The last link is a very detailed article on how to care for Hillstream Loaches in captivity.
    Fish.. Simply Irresistable
    Back to Killies... slowly.

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

hey guys

thank you so much for the replies, after reading all the links, Im very sure my sucky number 2 died of cold water Im going to get a heater next week and hopefully it wont happen again!

thanks again for the quick responces

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Cococatz, they need well oxygenated water to do well... so it will be good to have the air pump running well...

Warmest Regards from Merviso aka Merv Soh
    [ my vivarium: 2012, 2010, 2009 & 2007]
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'm a dreamer... a dreamer living in the lost city of moonlight.....