Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Breeding L046

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi everyone, I am new to this site. Stumbled across it while looking for information on breeding the L046 and wondering if anyone can help me.

I have found a lot of information on the best ways to set up the breeding tank and stimulate spawning, but I am still unclear on exactly how difficult it is to breed them (obviously I know that it is not 'easy'). I am also slightly concerned about obtaining the adults as I have heard a few stories about Zebra plecostomus' dying within a few days of purchase. Does anyone have experience of this or is it just bad luck?

I have arranged to meet with someone in the area who breeds them on a small scale, but would like to have as many opinions as possible before I invest in these expensive plecos.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Japan

Re: Breeding L046

Welcome sempadontis..
    i'm sure you're read celtcifish's post on this fish?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

I think the information about adults dying shortly after purchase is a little dated.
    The reports mentioned that the fishermen used arsenic to stun the fish for easy collection.
    With feedback from the importers this method has been stopped for some time.

Conditioned fish are pretty though and can take some punishment before they call it quits and die on you.
    But any sane person wouldn't subject them to such due to their price point!
    They are generally pretty though fish and tolerant of a wide range of water conditions.
    If you are getting fish from a local breeder it should not be too big a hassle.
    And I'm sure he will be more than ready to advise you on his maintenance regime.

I speculate that the recent "over-supply" of wild caught zebra was due to them being collected from 2005 (when the ban was enforced for H. zebra) and moving them out of Brazil.
    2007 saw the ban of much more species.
    2008 was a "bumper crop" and the last export of banned fish in numbers.
    2009 saw 100% inspection by Ibama and Managment of expoters going to jail for smuggling banned fish.
    Currently, there are wild caughts still available on many fish list.
    It will take some time but I'm quite certain they will "dry out" like the rest of the banned plecos.
    celticfish
    It is a good day to die!!!
    I finally uploaded an avatar and Cupid is dead!!!

Feedback Score
    Country
    United Kingdom

Thanks
    that makes sense about the information being a little dated as my LFS have not had any Zebras for a number of years.
    I have not met with the local breeder yet but I am unsure of whether she will be able to sell me any fish because she has a long waiting list. I have contacted several other people about buying plecos from them but I am wary of buying from someone who is not genuine. Do you have any tips of what to ask/look out for?
    Also I have recently spoken to someone who has just imported some Zebras in from Columbia, is this only illegal in certain circumstances? - as I am unsure of whether to report him.

Thanks a lot for your posts!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Do note it may not be L46 but another species of hypan which carries the "Columbian zebra" moniker.
    sam | Any bucephalandra fans out there? PM me!