Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: Eddy's 36'' x 24" x 48" Paladurium Construction Journal : Pictures!

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Eddy's 36'' x 24" x 48" Paladurium Construction Journal : Pictures!

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hi 14litre,

What's an unusual nickname you got!.LOL!

Back to work.

You may obtain from premixed concrete with waterproof additive and sand from construction hardware. The Styrofoam must be high density foam which harder and durable than common foam using for glass tank 's base. If you like wanna some of the foam, I can jolly give you some of it, however, let me totally revamp of my 6ft long paludarium first in mid-June and maybe at the same time you may even have my share of concrete/waterproof material.

If you wanna to learn how to crave the foam to the cave that you like, I can jolly show you some rope, too, but you must promise you will upload step by step picture in your new thread, okay?

I will soon inform you my schedule if you are interested to join in the fun...you game?

Let me know your thoughts.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Wanna to read me? Try this

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I was thinking of a nick that would give an easy identity of myself as well as my small 14 litre of tank, couldn't think one that's easier than 14litre.

oh.. how do we tell that a styrofoam is a high density one?
    does that mean it will sink also? I have been thinking of ways to make it sink, from those normal styrofoam that I knew.

Instead of concrete, can we use paint? are there any paint that is aquarium safe?
    Please pardon my ignorance because I am thinking of an easier way and something that I will not make a mess to my place. I am also thinking of applying different shade/tone instead of a mono tone. (crazy ideas only, I am not very artistic and chances of an ugly end product is very high)

Many thanks for the material offer. Cheers for that.
    After looking at your work, and the styrofoam possibility, I have actually thought of some crazy ideas and I was hoping to get materials of my own so that I can keep it for many other use also.
    I wouldn't want to end up taking too much from you.

The sketch below is my first idea.
    I have another idea but haven't got the chance to sketch it out yet.

I saw a LFS selling some styrofoam sheets and the max thickness is 1" only.
    I was thinking of cutting it into square pieces, then glue all up to form a cube, then carve out the caves and shape.

Would this be possible? I just bought a aquarium safe silicon, can it be used to stick styrofoam together?

it would be great if I can meet you during yr next project.
    let's see when yr schedule is firm up and I will join you if the time permits.
    sometimes my son (toddler) is very possessive, quite reluctant to let his dad disappear even for a sec.

sure, certainly it will be my pleasure to share my step-by-step work here, if I succeed of course.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi 14litres,

High density Styrofoam is harder than the LFS selling foam which meaning will still float. In fact, all Styrofoam will float no matter what. The only way to sink the foam is using eggcrate as your proposal cave base. However, the eggcrate need to be bigger than the cave base so that you may use sand gravel and rock to secure the cave down. Alternately pre-mixed concrete/ sand the whole cave will be able to weight down the cave better.

You may only use acrylic paint for any aquatic, viva and palu projects. If you like to square up to form into cube and crave it by yourself...that's even better. A word of caution uses a very sharp pen-knife instead of using a kitchen knife, okay. If you're not too sure, do read my article , hope this will help you.

let me know your thoughts
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

wow! great stuff on your article. it is very clear with the pics and easy-to-follow instructions.

I see. I will goto LFS to check out the eggcrate.

I have bought white aquarium-safe silicon (instead of black). would it give a good bonding for the eggcrate and styrofoam? I might need to buy the black one instead, to make it look nicer, as wht your article has mentioned.

you have mentioned clear spray in your article.
    does that mean we will spray this after sun-ning the painted background?

where can I get those high density styrofoam, acrylic paint and clear spray? normal art-and-craft (e.g. Art Friend) shop?

oh.. thanks for the pen knife tips. I think I still have one in my storeroom, finally it comes to use after years of keeping.

please pardon my ignorance with so many questions and thank you for your time and patience in answering it.

Cheers.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi 14liter,
    I'm so glad that you are about to DIY your first project...wow

You may still use your white silicon for your project, the black silicon what i mentioned in my article will help to easy camouflage painting and bond. You may try to obtain this Blue can clear to gloss protection spray ( look at the "paint" picture in article)) and acrylic paint from Art Friend ( Bras Basah Rd), if possible you may try to ask the Art Friend 'staff for high density foam, remember the foam is harder than the normal foam.( you need to press with your thumb and first finger) Please source the similar pen knife from Art's friend, too. The more expensive the better, choose the pen knife means for PCB work, okay look carefully how my penknife look like.okay.

Hope this will help you!
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Eddy,

Actually I am very eager to start. I guess I will be doing it right now if I am still in my college days.
    In fact I must thank you for your writeups and feedback, otherwise it will take me ages to figure all these out, not forgetting how inspiring your works were.

I think I am pretty set now, on what materials and where to get. I have printed out your "paint" picture too.

okay, I will keep you posted by starting a new post when I am ready to start with all the materials.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi 14litre, have you thought of using real rocks instead? They are less messy and easier to handle. Furthermore, they are modular and you can change the design as and you want. and IMHO, real rocks are way cheaper as compared to fake rocks. Just my 2 cents.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    Hi 14litre, have you thought of using real rocks instead? They are less messy and easier to handle. Furthermore, they are modular and you can change the design as and you want. and IMHO, real rocks are way cheaper as compared to fake rocks. Just my 2 cents.
    actually this was my initial plan, to construct the cave using real rocks.

then I came to know this styrofoam method which I liked because you can carve and make anything out of it basically.

I am ok with either method, just feel like trying it before my "crazy heat" on cave-making is gone.

to make caves out of real rocks,
    do you mean simply by stacking it
    or silicon the rocks together to make one?

I have tried looking for those flat slate rocks in LFS but couldn't find it.

this youtube below is the one that I am trying to make from the slate rocks. I turned to styrofoam idea after failing to find those rocks.

do you have any idea where can I get these flat slate rocks?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XYoUOpRsg
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8XYoUOpRsg

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

YOu may want to give me a buzz. I can bring you to buy the rocks that you want and they allow you to choose from their stash. It is not a LFS though.
    A Friend is one who is Faithful, Reliable, Inspiring, Encourager, who is Neutral when handling conflicts and helps to Develop you as a person.

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi 14liter,

Wow, you can construct a cave out of rock or slate, too. This will be even more natural by using lava rocks, slates and even granite. You may still use silicon for rock stacking, this time, I would recommend a use black silicon for this rocky cave project.

Try Thomson's nurseries which along Thomson Road or just beside Singapore Polo Club. They got plenty of slates but no lava rocks( you may obtain from Green Chapter)

Hope this will help you.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi 14liter,

Wow, you can construct a cave out of rock or slate, too. This will be even more natural by using lava rocks, slates and even granite. You may still use silicon for rock stacking, this time, I would recommend a use black silicon for this rocky cave project.

Try Thomson's nurseries which along Thomson Road or just beside Singapore Polo Club. They got plenty of slates but no lava rocks( you may obtain from Green Chapter)

Hope this will help you.
    your information definitely helps as always. Let me visit those Thomson nurseries first. A good chance to let my son run wild also.

Quote Originally Posted by Altum_lover76 View Post
    YOu may want to give me a buzz. I can bring you to buy the rocks that you want and they allow you to choose from their stash. It is not a LFS though.
    Thanks for the info and offer also. Let me see if I can find from the Thomson nurseries first. I will update here again (probably after this weekend) if I have problem finding it.

Cheers to all.

*self edited to remove my own lingo*

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Hi 14liter

Don't try Far East Flora and the rest which located in front of hospital or condo, try the back lane, the four nurseries which facing the bungalows.
    cheers
    eddy planer

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by eddy planer View Post
    Hi 14liter

Don't try Far East Flora and the rest which located in front of hospital or condo, try the back lane, the four nurseries which facing the bungalows.
    got it. thanks!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Eddy,

I did not get a chance to go to the those nurseries last weekend. Instead, I have bought the styrofoam materials to start my diy project. I have started this thread on my progress.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Eddy, just to say hi again. I was the guy who Raymond brought me to you home to see your paladurium. Beautifully made, it had given Raymond alot of inspiration to make his own vivarium too! Haha, once again nice meeting you and sorry for the sudden drop by as we can't find your contact
    number.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

wow...bro, simply gorgeous tanksetup...You are the Guru of DIY...

Cheers and ups for your hard-work.
    Your froggies and fishes are damned envy of all.

Can mind the whole cost for such setup...believe quite a sum of monies paid..

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516