Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner

Thread: Black filter media- inpregnated with carbon??

Feedback Score

Black filter media- inpregnated with carbon??

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    From the forum it is understood that carbon will remove the nutrients from the water, thus depriving the plants from such precious commodities.

The filter material in my tank is black color foam (came together with the Taiwan made filter), so do I suspect that the foam is impregnated with Carbon and this will remove the nutrients from the water??

Thoughts will be appreciated

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore
    It could be, or it could be just black coloured foam. The brand could be trying to copy a well-known brand but may not be providing the same thing, or don't know what the orignal one really is. I find certain brands, espcially if they come from certain countries, rather suspect. Have you read the manual? Or maybe you should see if the same brand sells that foam as a refill. The packaging for that would usually have more info. Even then, I would be suspicious.

Note: the Eheim black sponge/foam that comes with some Eheim filters, are meant to work like activated carbon.
    Vincent - AQ is for everyone, but not for 'u' and 'mi'.
    Why use punctuation? See what a difference it makes:
    A woman, without her man, is nothing.
    A woman: without her, man is nothing.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore
    The filter I have Atman comes with a black sponge. It does not contain any carbon at all. Not sure for your brand.

Anyway, I've replaced that with a coarser durable sponge for better flowrate and filtration.

Feedback Score
    err..no manual, I think they forgot to "copy" the manual.

Anyway, I have changed one of the layer to the white color foam to see if it makes any difference.

Actually I do not mind it restricting the flow as the flow rate is too strong now. Bought a 1200L/hr canister for a 3 ft tank [] , well another great newbies story...

Thanks again