Advertisements
Aquatic Avenue Banner Tropica Shop Banner Fishy Business Banner
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 194

Thread: Chiller FAQ

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

    Advertise here

    Advertise here
    My advise is for you to get a chiller that is a step up from what is needed for your tank due to the fact that we would be facing some hot months in a few months time. With the external temperature sensor modification, you are not being impeded with your choice of pump ( as long as it is not below 500lt/hr ) for the tank. Do not place your chiller in an enclosed area, your chiller might under perform.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St George's Road
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    My advise is for you to get a chiller that is a step up from what is needed for your tank due to the fact that we would be facing some hot months in a few months time. With the external temperature sensor modification, you are not being impeded with your choice of pump ( as long as it is not below 500lt/hr ) for the tank. Do not place your chiller in an enclosed area, your chiller might under perform.
    I definately will not be planning to place the chiller in an enclosed area.

    I am currently just very confused which chiller to go for, a 1/4 or a 1/10. By the way, what does the "HP" refer to?

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St George's Road
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    I was looking through the specifications for Hailea Chillers l.

    What does these few terms "water refrigerated", "rate of flow" mean/refer to?
    Is the rate of flow means the recommended flow rate of the filter?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Go for the 1/4hp. HP in chiller means horsepower. The term rate of flow could mean flow rate, water refrigerated could mean chilled water. Maybe they were not translated as well as it should from their native language to english.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St George's Road
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Go for the 1/4hp. HP in chiller means horsepower. The term rate of flow could mean flow rate, water refrigerated could mean chilled water. Maybe they were not translated as well as it should from their native language to english.
    Thanks alot bro for the explanation.

    With reference to the Hailea 1/4 specs, so does 100-800L water refrigerated mean it can keep 100-800L refrigerated/chilled? And flow rate of 1000-2500L/H means even though my external canister only has a flow rate of 620L/H, the internal pump in the chiller is able to pump at a flow rate of 1000-2500L/H?

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Posts
    4,126
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by e[V]o|ut|on View Post
    Thanks alot bro for the explanation.

    With reference to the Hailea 1/4 specs, so does 100-800L water refrigerated mean it can keep 100-800L refrigerated/chilled? And flow rate of 1000-2500L/H means even though my external canister only has a flow rate of 620L/H, the internal pump in the chiller is able to pump at a flow rate of 1000-2500L/H?
    Answer to your 1st question is yes. For your 2nd question, the chiller do not have an internal pump. All flow comes from your canister filter.

    Evolution, although I have said that you can use lower flow rate than what is recommended, this is but a double edge sword. Depending on your aquascaping, you may experience some algae issue in area where the water is stagnant. Just a heads up if you are new to planted tank.
    If you've learnt, teach, if you have, give.
    Don't walk behind me as I might not lead, don't walk in front of me as I might not follow. Walk beside me, as my friend.
    Mohamad Rohaizal is my name. If it's too hard, use BFG. I don't mind.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    St George's Road
    Posts
    121
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    Answer to your 1st question is yes. For your 2nd question, the chiller do not have an internal pump. All flow comes from your canister filter.

    Evolution, although I have said that you can use lower flow rate than what is recommended, this is but a double edge sword. Depending on your aquascaping, you may experience some algae issue in area where the water is stagnant. Just a heads up if you are new to planted tank.
    Yes I am quite new to planted tanks thus the many questions regarding chillers. But thanks alot bro for the patience in explaining to me all the chiller terms etc.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    98
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    11
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Hi, need advice urgently. Heard a "pop" sound from my chiller this morning and then chiller went dead. Can anyone advice where I can get the chiller fixed or repair? Is there any repairer who can repair all brand of chillers? Please advise urgently.
    My greatest interest in fish hobby is to breed them.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Telok Blangah, SGP
    Posts
    10,204
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    78
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Have you check the fuse? You can try bioplast at boon keng
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    98
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Images
    11
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Thank for the advice. I have not checked on the fuse yet. Will do it tonight. Thanks.
    My greatest interest in fish hobby is to breed them.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    58
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    just checking.. is there any reviews on the Gex 210 chiller ?

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Though my question is not about chillers, it's related to chillers: Tank insulation.

    My room's and tank water's ambient is 31C and I don't switch on the aircon, so if I want to bring down my temp to something like 26C or lower, I'll need a chiller. I've been reading on the internet and alot of ppl use styroform boards as their insulator. Just want to ask, if you insulate 3 sides of a tank, will there be any noticeable difference?

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Yio Chu Kang
    Posts
    127
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    I came across this article yesterday on how to install an external temp probe on a Hailea Chiller (I have a HS28A): http://yeo99.blogspot.sg/2012/05/diy...-external.html

    I found the HS28A to be easier to install than the one shown in the blog. I just have to unscrew one screw to remove the front panel and I don't have to remove the display panel in order to gain access to the sensor connection. Probably can replace it in less than 10 minutes.

    However, there isn't a hole or space for me to run my external temp probe out from the inside of the chiller. For those who have installed external temp probe before, what do you do? Drill a hole in your chiller? Or somehow run it out from a vent? Thanks!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    186
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Quote Originally Posted by xuan87 View Post
    I came across this article yesterday on how to install an external temp probe on a Hailea Chiller (I have a HS28A): http://yeo99.blogspot.sg/2012/05/diy...-external.html

    I found the HS28A to be easier to install than the one shown in the blog. I just have to unscrew one screw to remove the front panel and I don't have to remove the display panel in order to gain access to the sensor connection. Probably can replace it in less than 10 minutes.

    However, there isn't a hole or space for me to run my external temp probe out from the inside of the chiller. For those who have installed external temp probe before, what do you do? Drill a hole in your chiller? Or somehow run it out from a vent? Thanks!
    Read the link, mentioned the probe can be purchased from shop called Acezz. But still need to buy a separate connector because the probe ends in bare wire.... if you manage to find the connector, let us know which shop you got it from?

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    117
    Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Reviving this very useful thread. I got a question on Chiller cleaning servicing.

    How much does a service cost and what do they do exactly to the chiller?
    Is it easy to DIY our own servicing or it requires some professional technical skills to do so?

  16. #76
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    14
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    never heard of chiller servicing service...hmmm...sounds like servicing air-con....hope my chiller don't choke like air-con..

  17. #77
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Is there a requirement of the type of in order to filter to use the chiller?

  18. #78
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    2
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    Sorry I meant "is there a requirement for the type of filter system in order to use a chiller?"

  19. #79
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17
    Feedback Score
    0
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ



    hi, first time looking for chiller.
    i have a 3ft tank, around 240L
    what difference if i get the 1/4hp vs the 1/2hp.
    they always say go for the stronger hp. to avoid more kick in.
    1/4hp would be good. but would 1/2 be better, maybe can last longer?

  20. #80
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapore
    Posts
    162
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

    Re: Chiller FAQ

    i read through this thread. thinking of this. anybody tried those chillers used by restaurant owners? they can chill until frost and water sometimes have ice... LOL.... those seemd to be cheaper although pretty unsightly.. ^_^"
    order your buceps here!
    Bucephalandra SG

    order your fishes here. get quotes now!

    email: [email protected]
    contact: 94518143

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •