Country
    Singapore

Re: Chiller FAQ

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Hey guys,

Wanna check. I have a 2ft tank and im planning for a 1/10. Wanna check what will happen if I get one more powerful than 1/10? Like 1/4. Will my bills be the same? Or any side effects?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi,

I have both 1/10 and 1/4. I used them on my 3ft tank previously, I would say it's all depend on the desired temperature you required.

From my experience, if you are maintaining around 26c, 1/10 or 1/4 on my 3ft don't really make a difference. The chiller kick in is around the same, just a marginal difference. But 1/4 uses higher amp and wattage so electricity would be higher if you use 1/4 for this setup.

But if you are trying to reach lower temperature like ~23c then you would see the big different between the two. 1/10 will take double or more the time to cool the water, thus using more electricity as compare to 1/4.

This is my finding, please correct me if I'm wrong...

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi guys, TEM chiller can only reduce the water temperature to abt 2-3 deg based on ambient room temperature. They cannot reduce to 22 deg unless singapore weather is 24-25 deg.

Another is, I used to run a dolphin TEM chiller on my 40 cm tank and then using a haliea 1/10 hp chiller. All I can say is electricity usage is same!
    So my advice is you are better off with a nor l mal chiller instead and can get a stable chilled tank without high temp fluctuation.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

then what's the use of that chiller?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ne0matr1x View Post
    Hi guys, TEM chiller can only reduce the water temperature to abt 2-3 deg based on ambient room temperature. They cannot reduce to 22 deg unless singapore weather is 24-25 deg.

Another is, I used to run a dolphin TEM chiller on my 40 cm tank and then using a haliea 1/10 hp chiller. All I can say is electricity usage is same!
    So my advice is you are better off with a nor l mal chiller instead and can get a stable chilled tank without high temp fluctuation.
    Hi

I'm thinking of getting a chiller (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=13480957886) which I believe is a TEM chiller. Their claim for 35liters of water can reach below 20 degree in room temperature of 30 degree. If what you mention is correct, then I'll have to forget about this. BTW, how many liters tank did you test this on?

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Country
    Singapore

I test a dolphin TEM chiller, not sure abt the one on the link. So might be different. And this is based on my experience only. Others may have a different experience. So please take it with a pinch of salt.

Feedback Score
    37 (97%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    then what's the use of that chiller?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk
    To me TEM chiller is like using a fan to cool down your tank from ambient temperature but without having to dry up the water like how a fan does. The other selling point is it is cheaper them a compressor chiller.

So it is an in between solution between fan and compressor chiller. May not be the best solution but for those ppl who don't like to use fan but no money get compressor chiller.

But my personal take is I rather spend a bit more and get a compressor chiller since the running cost is abt the same. Other may have a different opinion. But this may be the reason TEM is not as popular.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi Darick,

had seen the above taobao TEM chiller at work, and even in an air-conditioned room kept at 23 degrees, its tough bringing a 1 feet cube tank's temperature down to 20 degrees, so yes. I don't think it can really bring temperature down so drastically.

I'm also using a TEM chiller for my little desktop setup, albeit a different model and rating (150W). At ambient temperature of 30 degrees due to the hot and humid weather, it can only bring my 1 feet tank down to the high side of 26 degrees, and nope, i can't bring down temperature's any lower...

2cents worth for your consideration before getting one dude
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Darick View Post
    Hi

I'm thinking of getting a chiller (http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=13480957886) which I believe is a TEM chiller. Their claim for 35liters of water can reach below 20 degree in room temperature of 30 degree. If what you mention is correct, then I'll have to forget about this. BTW, how many liters tank did you test this on?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by ne0matr1x View Post
    To me TEM chiller is like using a fan to cool down your tank from ambient temperature but without having to dry up the water like how a fan does. The other selling point is it is cheaper them a compressor chiller.

So it is an in between solution between fan and compressor chiller. May not be the best solution but for those ppl who don't like to use fan but no money get compressor chiller.

But my personal take is I rather spend a bit more and get a compressor chiller since the running cost is abt the same. Other may have a different opinion. But this may be the reason TEM is not as popular.
    I owned the dolphin set before and agreed with ne0matr1x, not worth the money if you are comparing it with a chiller. I used to contact a thermometer with probe with the dophin and my Nano cube, getting it to lower temp to below 26c is quite challenging too.

I would suggest you to buy if you are only looking to lower down lesser than 2 degree of ambient temperature (~27c max) in a Nano tank, else I would also think chiller is still a better choice.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Thanks for the information. I'm afraid it's a little too late now since I've just made the order. Will review when I receive that chiller and post if it is any good. If you don't hear from me on this chiller then you know that it is not worth buying and I'm probably crying my heart out somewhere. hahahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by blu3her0 View Post
    Hi Darick,

had seen the above taobao TEM chiller at work, and even in an air-conditioned room kept at 23 degrees, its tough bringing a 1 feet cube tank's temperature down to 20 degrees, so yes. I don't think it can really bring temperature down so drastically.

I'm also using a TEM chiller for my little desktop setup, albeit a different model and rating (150W). At ambient temperature of 30 degrees due to the hot and humid weather, it can only bring my 1 feet tank down to the high side of 26 degrees, and nope, i can't bring down temperature's any lower...

2cents worth for your consideration before getting one dude
    Jack

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

If my eheim 2224 has sort of a built in double tap, do I need a double tap for a chiller?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I don't think it is necessary but if pocket allow, I will put, it is easier for maintenance..

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Just one more question! I have a extension chord that has 7 sockets. For my tank lights and filters and etc. Saw that chillers need lots of power, will I overload it if I plug a chiller in?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Don't think it will overload, just do a calculation on your working current.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by rc311 View Post
    Don't think it will overload, just do a calculation on your working current.
    May I know how do I go about doing this?

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

probe.jpg
    hi guys, for hailea HS-28a, able to detach this probe from a digital thermometer and use it as external probe mod for my chiller ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Not sure for Hailea but It work on my Resun CL-280
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Not sure for Hailea but It work on my Resun CL-280
    sounds like worth a try wouldnt hurt d chiller yea ?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

cannot guaranty . I don't want to be blame if something bad happen
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bros, just make sure it a NTC probe with 10k ohm, or if you to be safe, can buy one from SLT basement ACEZ Instrument @ ~ $20.00, it will definitely work.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast