1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Re: Chiller FAQ

Advertisements
    Fresh n Marine aQuarium Banner

Advertise here

Advertise here
    Btw, if anyone is interested of DIY your own external statement in replace of the existing one on Resun CL280, let me know and maybe we can share some pointer from each other as I am going to do it soon. I have two set of technologic TLZ10 thermostat and going to replace it with the resun one...

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

I will be collecting a Hailea HS 28A tomorrow and I am wondering what is the cost difference in electricity bills if i modify my chiller the recommended way? I'm not the best with such technical work and I'm afraid of spoiling the chiller. May I know if such modification services are available?

Also, if I would like to maintain my temperature at 25 degrees and NEVER to go above it, may I know what to set for my chiller? Cause I do understand the chiller only kicks it when it reaches a particular temperature, does this mean I have to set my chiller to 24.5 degrees or something like that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raeburter View Post
    I will be collecting a Hailea HS 28A tomorrow and I am wondering what is the cost difference in electricity bills if i modify my chiller the recommended way? I'm not the best with such technical work and I'm afraid of spoiling the chiller. May I know if such modification services are available?

Also, if I would like to maintain my temperature at 25 degrees and NEVER to go above it, may I know what to set for my chiller? Cause I do understand the chiller only kicks it when it reaches a particular temperature, does this mean I have to set my chiller to 24.5 degrees or something like that?
    Hi bro,

2ft on a 1/10 and maintaining 25c is fine. Probably it would be good to modify a in tank probe for real time temperature in order to minimize the chiller kick in. It is worth the effort of modifying it. Cost for plastic ntc probe is around ~ $20.00 thus ROI be will fast. If you aren't comfortable of modification, maybe you can use my external temp power method. Cost is to get a external thermostat and some accessories, everything is around ~$80 - $100.

Check out this post, http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum...ad.php?t=36892

I am using this now, and while waiting for my tank to cycle (nothing to do), I am thinking of replacing the my chiller thermostat instead which would give me additional decimal point...

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro, thanks for sharing. Definitely invaluable advice there. Will definitely seek your advice when I'm setting up a new tank (in the future).

Quote Originally Posted by rc311 View Post
    Hi bro,

2ft on a 1/10 and maintaining 25c is fine. Probably it would be good to modify a in tank probe for real time temperature in order to minimize the chiller kick in. It is worth the effort of modifying it. Cost for plastic ntc probe is around ~ $20.00 thus ROI be will fast. If you aren't comfortable of modification, maybe you can use my external temp power method. Cost is to get a external thermostat and some accessories, everything is around ~$80 - $100.

I am using this now, and while waiting for my tank to cycle (nothing to do), I am thinking of replacing the my chiller thermostat instead which would give me additional decimal point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

As promised, I'm here with the test result for the china made TEM chiller. Here's the link again in case anyone doesn't know what I'm referring to.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=...id=13480957886

I can't seems to attached pictures for some reason.

The chiller comes with 1 hose of length slightly more than 4 feet and a water pump. There's also a power pack like you would get with a laptop but it is much bigger. You will also need to get a adaptor for the plug. It's 3 flat pin slanted 45 degree. I find the water pump a little too strong so I've used my own small water pump instead. My is 300liters/hour as stated.

Unfortunately, the test result is inconclusive. Well, the reason is that the weather has been quite cooling in my area and also in my room. Temperature for my 2ft tank currently with fan is 26 degree and my GEX slim 45 is 26 degree. This is affecting the results during the test but here's what I've gotten during the test.

During the start of the test on my 2ft tank (approximately 53 liters of water), the room temperature was at 30 degree. My tank is at 27 degree. For the chiller to cool the 2 ft tank down to 26 takes about 3-4 hours. This will depends on the room temperature. Unfortunately (but good for me as I was feeling hot at 30 degree), the room temperature starts to drop soon after due to rain. It's been raining the past few days as well. The reason I can't conclude is because the room temperature didn't remain at 30 degree. The chiller had help from the environment as well to cool the tank.

Next I use a container and fill in with about 35 liters of water. This is the advertised limit of this chiller. Same process where I noted the room temperature. This time it is about 27 degree with the rain. The chiller takes more than 8 hours to cool the 35 liters of water to 25 degree.

I didn't thought about the room temperature as a factor until I've completed all the above tests. So, in the end, I can't conclude anything due to the weather. Judging from this, I think the chiller at best can only drop temperature by 2 degree depending on room temperature. Comparable to a fan? You be the judge.

Over the next 2 weeks, I'll be here less often due to issue with changing provider. Screw up with termination date and installation of new wifi with a gap of 2 weeks. Will be back 1st week of June.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Hi bro,

Thanks and I have modified my chiller. The chiller temperature readings and my thermometer has a difference of 0.2 degrees, which I guess is quite acceptable. But I don't quite understand the setting of temperature yet. For example, if I want my tank to remain at the temperature of 25 and to never go above it, should i set it at 24.5? So that if it hits 25, it will definitely kick in straight away?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

depend on the model, some model only start kicking if the temp 1 degree above the set temperature. For this case you need to set it at 24. If yours start kicking at 0.5 degree above then set it at 24.5
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

If you set the chiller temp to 25c, this means you want to maintain at 25c, the chiller will stop chilling at 25c, and normally there is another setting which is something like the "kick in degree" (forget what is it called). If you set it to 1c, the chiller will kick in on your preset degree + 1c until it reach your preset degree.

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    depend on the model, some model only start kicking if the temp 1 degree above the set temperature. For this case you need to set it at 24. If yours start kicking at 0.5 degree above then set it at 24.5
    If you set the chiller temp to 25c, this means you want to maintain at 25c, the chiller will stop chilling at 25c, and normally there is another setting which is something like the "kick in degree" (forget what is it called). If you set it to 1c, the chiller will kick in on your preset degree + 1c until it reach your preset degree.
    I'm using external temperature probe modified HS-28A and I don't think there's such a setting for the kick in degree....
    Any idea what degree difference will it kick in?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Images
    Country
    Singapore

Sorry not a clue, I never try this model but you can easily observe it. Just set any temp, say 25, then observe when the compressor start running.
    -Robert
    Aquascaping is a marriage between Art and Farming
    My Blog: http://aquatic-art.blogspot.com/

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

My temperature in tank is 28 and chiller is 25. Is there such a big different?
    My tank is 31 x 15 x 21 cm
    Filter is ehiem classic 150
    Chiller is teco TR5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Country
    Singapore

Quote Originally Posted by raeburter View Post
    I'm using external temperature probe modified HS-28A and I don't think there's such a setting for the kick in degree....
    Any idea what degree difference will it kick in?
    I am using HS28A too and the chiller should kick in at +1 degree

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

squall99e, encountered this issue first hand when there was too low flow from my filter (unable to bring chilled water out of the chiller). In not too sure what the recommended flow rate for tr5 is, perhaps you could check on that?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Blu3hero, think you are right. Tr5 need 500l/h my eheim filter only 300l/h

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Oh ya.. It's always good to have 1 step higher flowrate too.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Yeah, using an external temp probe would help with having a lower flow rate I think? It'll mean you don't have to get a new filter.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Hmm.. Still need reasonable flow rate. So that the chill water would be well circulated.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

I will get a new filter. Will use the ehiem 2210 or classic for another tank then

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Country
    Singapore

Another question,

I am looking at the next eheim range

Classis 250 at 440 litres / hour (Too little ??)

Classic 350 at 620 litres / hour (Too much??)

The chiller need 400 litres range but my tank is only 31 X 15 X 21 cm. Do not wish for a washing machine effect but enough to circulate the chill water.

What do you guys think?

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast